Re: [Slovak-World] Re: Sui Vesan

  • krejc@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , May 8, 2006
      did anyone plug in her audio song? i rather liked it.

    • sandman6294
      Message 2 of 9 , May 9, 2006
        --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Martin Votruba" <votrubam@...>
        wrote:

        > > the "speaking and singing in tongues" explanation.
        >
        > RU, r u calling her a Babylonian? She's from Banovce nad Bebravou.

        Hmmm, I didn't realize Banovce nad Bebrav was in Mesopotamia. ;-)
        For some reason she reminded me of Yma Sumac, the "Inca Princess".

        ".... if you're not familiar with Ms.Sumac, she sang wordless vocals
        in various exotic settings with a voice that defied belief and a
        range that covered several octaves......."

        ".....It is fairly uncommon for an untrained singer to have a vocal
        range of two octaves. Trained singers aspire to three octaves but
        sometimes fall short of that goal. It is practically unheard of to
        have at one's command a vocal register of four and one half octaves.
        Indeed, it is somewhat freakish, and musicians usually have no idea
        how to exploit such a phenomenon to its best advantage."

        http://www.sunvirgin.com/
        http://www.artistdirect.com/nad/store/artist/album/0,,1635659,00.html

        RU
      • Taoz@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , May 10, 2006
          Boy what memories were brought forth by the mention of Yma Sumac. She was
          once in a musical called "Flahooly" which was not a hit by any means. But her
          voice was just plain amazing. I have her album called "Voice of the Xtabay"
          and I still marvel at the voice.

          I understand they tried to train her for opera but I never did hear the
          outcome of that. The amazing part of the musical was when she stood between a
          basso-profundo and a coloratura soprano and could sing lower than him and
          higher than her. Absolutely amazing.

          Thanks for bringing up the memories

          Pavel