Re: Sui Vesan

  • Martin Votruba
    Message 1 of 9 , May 8, 2006
      > the "speaking and singing in tongues" explanation.

      RU, r u calling her a Babylonian? She's from Banovce nad Bebravou.

      Martin

      votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
    • krejc@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , May 8, 2006
        did anyone plug in her audio song? i rather liked it.

      • sandman6294
        Message 3 of 9 , May 9, 2006
          --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Martin Votruba" <votrubam@...>
          wrote:

          > > the "speaking and singing in tongues" explanation.
          >
          > RU, r u calling her a Babylonian? She's from Banovce nad Bebravou.

          Hmmm, I didn't realize Banovce nad Bebrav was in Mesopotamia. ;-)
          For some reason she reminded me of Yma Sumac, the "Inca Princess".

          ".... if you're not familiar with Ms.Sumac, she sang wordless vocals
          in various exotic settings with a voice that defied belief and a
          range that covered several octaves......."

          ".....It is fairly uncommon for an untrained singer to have a vocal
          range of two octaves. Trained singers aspire to three octaves but
          sometimes fall short of that goal. It is practically unheard of to
          have at one's command a vocal register of four and one half octaves.
          Indeed, it is somewhat freakish, and musicians usually have no idea
          how to exploit such a phenomenon to its best advantage."

          http://www.sunvirgin.com/
          http://www.artistdirect.com/nad/store/artist/album/0,,1635659,00.html

          RU
        • Taoz@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , May 10, 2006
            Boy what memories were brought forth by the mention of Yma Sumac. She was
            once in a musical called "Flahooly" which was not a hit by any means. But her
            voice was just plain amazing. I have her album called "Voice of the Xtabay"
            and I still marvel at the voice.

            I understand they tried to train her for opera but I never did hear the
            outcome of that. The amazing part of the musical was when she stood between a
            basso-profundo and a coloratura soprano and could sing lower than him and
            higher than her. Absolutely amazing.

            Thanks for bringing up the memories

            Pavel