Re: Sui Vesan

  • sandman6294
    Message 1 of 9 , May 8 3:33 PM
      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Martin Votruba" <votrubam@...>
      wrote:

      > She sings in Slovak (Malinka som...), in a meaningless sequence of
      > syllables that she calls _tatlanina_

      Meaningless? She is obviously referring to the language of the
      inhabitants of the lost continent of Atlantis. The use of _tatlanina_
      is an attempt to thinly disguise the term _atlantian_ (some
      say atlantean) which was their language.

      On the other hand, it could be a Central European variation on "skat"
      singing, which started during the Ragtime era and was prominent during
      the Jazz Age (i.e. Ella Fitzgerald, Louis Armstrong, Cab Calloway,
      Scatman John, etc.).

      From the spiritual point of view, there's always the "speaking and
      singing in tongues" explanation.

      RU
    • Martin Votruba
      Message 2 of 9 , May 8 6:59 PM
        > the "speaking and singing in tongues" explanation.

        RU, r u calling her a Babylonian? She's from Banovce nad Bebravou.

        Martin

        votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
      • krejc@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , May 8 7:27 PM
          did anyone plug in her audio song? i rather liked it.

        • sandman6294
          Message 4 of 9 , May 9 6:43 PM
            wrote:

            > > the "speaking and singing in tongues" explanation.
            >
            > RU, r u calling her a Babylonian? She's from Banovce nad Bebravou.

            Hmmm, I didn't realize Banovce nad Bebrav was in Mesopotamia. ;-)
            For some reason she reminded me of Yma Sumac, the "Inca Princess".

            ".... if you're not familiar with Ms.Sumac, she sang wordless vocals
            in various exotic settings with a voice that defied belief and a
            range that covered several octaves......."

            ".....It is fairly uncommon for an untrained singer to have a vocal
            range of two octaves. Trained singers aspire to three octaves but
            sometimes fall short of that goal. It is practically unheard of to
            have at one's command a vocal register of four and one half octaves.
            Indeed, it is somewhat freakish, and musicians usually have no idea
            how to exploit such a phenomenon to its best advantage."

            http://www.sunvirgin.com/
            http://www.artistdirect.com/nad/store/artist/album/0,,1635659,00.html

            RU
          • Taoz@aol.com
            Message 5 of 9 , May 10 11:28 AM
              Boy what memories were brought forth by the mention of Yma Sumac. She was
              once in a musical called "Flahooly" which was not a hit by any means. But her
              voice was just plain amazing. I have her album called "Voice of the Xtabay"
              and I still marvel at the voice.

              I understand they tried to train her for opera but I never did hear the
              outcome of that. The amazing part of the musical was when she stood between a
              basso-profundo and a coloratura soprano and could sing lower than him and
              higher than her. Absolutely amazing.

              Thanks for bringing up the memories

              Pavel