Re: Sui Vesan

  • Martin Votruba
    Message 1 of 9 , May 8, 2006
      > I wonder if it's Ventiseri?
      http://www.fallingrain.com/world/FR/0/Ventiseri.html

      Super, Helen, thank you. I'm convinced that's it. It certainly looks
      like it could mean (or at least remind someone) of "120."

      Martin

      votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
    • sandman6294
      Message 2 of 9 , May 8, 2006
        --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Martin Votruba" <votrubam@...>
        wrote:

        > She sings in Slovak (Malinka som...), in a meaningless sequence of
        > syllables that she calls _tatlanina_

        Meaningless? She is obviously referring to the language of the
        inhabitants of the lost continent of Atlantis. The use of _tatlanina_
        is an attempt to thinly disguise the term _atlantian_ (some
        say atlantean) which was their language.

        On the other hand, it could be a Central European variation on "skat"
        singing, which started during the Ragtime era and was prominent during
        the Jazz Age (i.e. Ella Fitzgerald, Louis Armstrong, Cab Calloway,
        Scatman John, etc.).

        From the spiritual point of view, there's always the "speaking and
        singing in tongues" explanation.

        RU
      • Martin Votruba
        Message 3 of 9 , May 8, 2006
          > the "speaking and singing in tongues" explanation.

          RU, r u calling her a Babylonian? She's from Banovce nad Bebravou.

          Martin

          votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
        • krejc@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , May 8, 2006
            did anyone plug in her audio song? i rather liked it.

          • sandman6294
            Message 5 of 9 , May 9, 2006
              wrote:

              > > the "speaking and singing in tongues" explanation.
              >
              > RU, r u calling her a Babylonian? She's from Banovce nad Bebravou.

              Hmmm, I didn't realize Banovce nad Bebrav was in Mesopotamia. ;-)
              For some reason she reminded me of Yma Sumac, the "Inca Princess".

              ".... if you're not familiar with Ms.Sumac, she sang wordless vocals
              in various exotic settings with a voice that defied belief and a
              range that covered several octaves......."

              ".....It is fairly uncommon for an untrained singer to have a vocal
              range of two octaves. Trained singers aspire to three octaves but
              sometimes fall short of that goal. It is practically unheard of to
              have at one's command a vocal register of four and one half octaves.
              Indeed, it is somewhat freakish, and musicians usually have no idea
              how to exploit such a phenomenon to its best advantage."

              http://www.sunvirgin.com/
              http://www.artistdirect.com/nad/store/artist/album/0,,1635659,00.html

              RU
            • Taoz@aol.com
              Message 6 of 9 , May 10, 2006
                Boy what memories were brought forth by the mention of Yma Sumac. She was
                once in a musical called "Flahooly" which was not a hit by any means. But her
                voice was just plain amazing. I have her album called "Voice of the Xtabay"
                and I still marvel at the voice.

                I understand they tried to train her for opera but I never did hear the
                outcome of that. The amazing part of the musical was when she stood between a
                basso-profundo and a coloratura soprano and could sing lower than him and
                higher than her. Absolutely amazing.

                Thanks for bringing up the memories

                Pavel