Re: Dukla Pass Presentation, NJ May 13 - Veteran of the CSK Army Corps to attend

  • Bill Tarkulich
    Message 1 of 3 , May 5, 2006
      Hello Jack,
      I would suggest contacting by email,
      Carpatho-Rusyn Society
      5304 Perry Highway, Erie, PA 16509-3559
      Phone: 412 462-2769 E-mail: sales@...

      Not every event is listed in the catalog, but are orderable. I did
      this before regaring a lecture on wooden churches.

      Regarding Dukla, I have been doing very extensive research on this
      event for the past six months. I have been in touch with most all of
      the major historians and have read the works of the Red Army Generals
      involved in the battle. The presentation is really just the tip of
      the iceburg. Especially with the breakdown of the iron curtain,
      information is beginning to pour out of Russia. In fact, so much so,
      that certain history books need to be re-written. Most of
      the "eastern front" historical descriptions have come from a German
      perspective, and once the Germans started losing in 1944-45, they
      stopped writing. Thus a dearth of info.

      I have several books on Dukla. I have much material that I have
      translated from Russian. I am waiting for the memoirs of General
      Heinrici to be made public and I anxiously await the next edition
      of "Forgotton Battles" by Glantz which will include Dukla. Glantz
      informs me it won't be until 2007 for his book.

      One thing which needs to be emphasized is that a very large chunk of
      the battle occurred on Polish soil, before they even got to the pass.

      Myself and Vladimir Baumgarten (http://www.duklapass.org/ ) have been
      collecting memoirs of participants and citizens affected or involved
      in the fighting. I would be most interested in hearing your stories
      from back home. My objective is to put a personal face on it. In
      return, I am more than happy to send you gobs of info on the battle
      and it's impact.

      Regards,
      Bill Tarkulich

      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "gergely" <gergely@...> wrote:

      > I can't attend, but I definitely want the videotape - at any cost.
      I've
      > been trying to find anything on this battle in English for years.
      I have
      > letters from my family in the area while they were still living in
      tents in
      > 1947 - years after the destruction. How do I get it?
      >
      > Jack Gergely
      > Newport News
      > gergely@...

      Veteran of
> [...]
      > Soviets, and he is the last known Slovakian to have taken part in a
      > battle that has a complex and enduring legacy in eastern Europe.
      >
      > "We wanted to create our own country. I was fighting for my own
      > freedom. It didn't happen then; communism dominated everything,"
      > Kulhan recalled.
      >
      > But the fight gave Slovakia a sense of its destiny as an autonomous
      > nation, which it finally became in 1993 after separating peacefully
      > from the Czech Republic. "When I was fighting, I was fighting for
      the
      > idea that everybody should be free, not a slave," he said.
      >
      > His Czechoslovak army unit was pressed into service by the Germans
      > against the Soviets after the Nazis took over Czechoslovakia, but
      the
      > unit later switched sides and joined the fight against the German
      > military machine.
      >
      > Kulhan can recall the 1944 battle with sharp details as his clear,
      > gray eyes narrow with concentration — how German prisoners looked
      > when they finally surrendered after a murderous artillery barrage,
      > the sound of a mortar shell on its downward arc.
      >
      > He tells many stories of his past — how he saved the future
      president
      > of Czechoslovakia, Gen. Ludvik Svoboda, by pushing him out of a
      > bunker that was targeted by Nazi artillery moments before it was
      > destroyed, working with American intelligence agents after the war,
      > sneaking out of Slovakia with his wife and children in a daring
      > border-crossing to Austria.
      >
      > "He never got the recognition he deserved," said Kulhan's son-in-
      law,
      > Joseph Kenney, a New Jersey immigration officer and an Army Reserve
      > lieutenant colonel. "When he turned against the Communists, they
      > turned against him."
      >

      > At the ceremony on Thursday, Kulhan will be honored for the first
      > time by his native Slovakia since it became an autonomous country.
      >
      > Kulhan came to this country in 1950 and became a proud American, an
      > admirer of Ronald Reagan who can quote lines from his speeches. As
      > for his native land, he said he hoped his part in the campaign of
      > 1944 will bring greater attention to the cause for which he fought.
      >
      > "I got enough medals. But I'd like recognition for the people who
      > fought and died for Slovakian independence," he said.
      >
      > A father of five, he will be joined in his journey by his wife,
      > Marta, to whom he has been married for 59 years.
      >
      > There are still animosities and political fissures in Slovakia, much
      > of it stemming from the World War II era and its aftermath under
      > Soviet domination.
      >

      > "People were caught up in the maelstrom, and they had to make hard
      > choices," said Vladimir Baumgarten, a Florida scholar who has
      > researched the battle of Dukla Pass and runs a cultural organization
      > promoting Slovak-American ties.
      >
      > Speaking of the commemoration of the battle this week in which
      Kulhan