Re: [Slovak-World] Re: Beaconsfield Mine

  • Amanda Lovitt
    Message 1 of 11 , May 3 8:34 PM
      Hi Caye

      He phoned today and his job at the moment is vibration monitoring which he
      did for about 20 hours straight. Then he will be designing the blasting of
      the final 3 metres (about 9 feet) of the tunnel to get them out.

      At least pear shaped is polite! Aussies have some amazing colourful phrases
      to describe the same situation you know.

      Thanks for your good wishes too.

      Amanda
    • Caye Caswick
      Message 2 of 11 , May 4 6:40 AM
        Thanks Amanda -- still hoping things work out well,
        sounds like Mike is giving it his all, "atta boy!"

        Keep those phrases coming, they are cool -- the Irish
        also have a couple funny ones . . .

        Two of my favorites:

        (1) little girl falls down -- her grandparent tells
        her, "Don't worry, you'll be alright by the time you
        get married." and

        (2) you use a complicated multi-syllabled word and the
        Irish will ask you "what's that with it's feet up?"
        Meaning, speak English, stop talking in scientific
        terms!

        ;-D
        Caye

        --- Amanda Lovitt <cread@...> wrote:

        > Hi Caye
        >
        > He phoned today and his job at the moment is
        > vibration monitoring which he
        > did for about 20 hours straight. Then he will be
        > designing the blasting of
        > the final 3 metres (about 9 feet) of the tunnel to
        > get them out.
        >
        > At least pear shaped is polite! Aussies have some
        > amazing colourful phrases
        > to describe the same situation you know.
        >

        > Thanks for your good wishes too.
        >

        > Amanda

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Amanda Lovitt
        Message 3 of 11 , May 4 10:03 PM
          My grandfather was never allowed to swear in front of Mum and my uncle, and
          then me when I came along. Grandma considered it acceptable to say "The
          Thundering Thing". It still remains the worst possible swear word in our
          family as it surpasses all other options!

          Mike has picked up on family humour over last 22 years and on the phone this
          morning resorted to "the thundering rock fall". I knew he didn't mean the
          noise!

          Amanda
        • Caye Caswick
          Message 4 of 11 , May 5 8:00 AM
            Thanks, Amanda, I just read this story -- glad there's
            some levity ...

            http://www.abc.net.au/pm/content/2006/s1632056.htm

            I'll add the miners and Mike's name to our prayer list
            at church on Sunday -- continuing to root for them
            all.

            Caye

            http://mail.yahoo.com