Re: [Slovak-World] Re: Beaconsfield Mine

  • Caye Caswick
    Message 1 of 11 , May 3, 2006
      I love that "pear shaped" phrase -- I'll pray for
      everyone -- keep us up-to-date, Amanda and best of
      luck to Mike and the rest of the crew.

      Caye

      --- Nick Holcz <nickh@...> wrote:

      > At 12:46 PM 3/05/2006, you wrote:
      > >--- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Amanda
      > Lovitt" <cread@...>
      > >wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hi Caye
      > >

      > > > The whole thing could still go horribly pear
      > shaped.
      > > >

      > > > Amanda
      > > >

      > >"Aussie miners trapped for week waiting for rescue
      > >
      > >May 2, 2006
      >

      > One of them asked for Saturday's paper , so he can
      > look for a new job.
      >
      > Nick

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Amanda Lovitt
      Message 2 of 11 , May 3, 2006
        Hi Caye

        He phoned today and his job at the moment is vibration monitoring which he
        did for about 20 hours straight. Then he will be designing the blasting of
        the final 3 metres (about 9 feet) of the tunnel to get them out.

        At least pear shaped is polite! Aussies have some amazing colourful phrases
        to describe the same situation you know.

        Thanks for your good wishes too.

        Amanda
      • Caye Caswick
        Message 3 of 11 , May 4, 2006
          Thanks Amanda -- still hoping things work out well,
          sounds like Mike is giving it his all, "atta boy!"

          Keep those phrases coming, they are cool -- the Irish
          also have a couple funny ones . . .

          Two of my favorites:

          (1) little girl falls down -- her grandparent tells
          her, "Don't worry, you'll be alright by the time you
          get married." and

          (2) you use a complicated multi-syllabled word and the
          Irish will ask you "what's that with it's feet up?"
          Meaning, speak English, stop talking in scientific
          terms!

          ;-D
          Caye

          --- Amanda Lovitt <cread@...> wrote:

          > Hi Caye
          >
          > He phoned today and his job at the moment is
          > vibration monitoring which he
          > did for about 20 hours straight. Then he will be
          > designing the blasting of
          > the final 3 metres (about 9 feet) of the tunnel to
          > get them out.
          >
          > At least pear shaped is polite! Aussies have some
          > amazing colourful phrases
          > to describe the same situation you know.
          >

          > Thanks for your good wishes too.
          >

          > Amanda

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Amanda Lovitt
          Message 4 of 11 , May 4, 2006
            My grandfather was never allowed to swear in front of Mum and my uncle, and
            then me when I came along. Grandma considered it acceptable to say "The
            Thundering Thing". It still remains the worst possible swear word in our
            family as it surpasses all other options!

            Mike has picked up on family humour over last 22 years and on the phone this
            morning resorted to "the thundering rock fall". I knew he didn't mean the
            noise!

            Amanda
          • Caye Caswick
            Message 5 of 11 , May 5, 2006
              Thanks, Amanda, I just read this story -- glad there's
              some levity ...

              http://www.abc.net.au/pm/content/2006/s1632056.htm

              I'll add the miners and Mike's name to our prayer list
              at church on Sunday -- continuing to root for them
              all.

              Caye

              http://mail.yahoo.com