Re: [Slovak-World] Re: Beaconsfield Mine

  • Nick Holcz
    Message 1 of 11 , May 3, 2006
      At 12:46 PM 3/05/2006, you wrote:
      >--- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Amanda Lovitt" <cread@...>
      >wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi Caye
      >

      > > The whole thing could still go horribly pear shaped.
      > >

      > > Amanda
      > >

      >"Aussie miners trapped for week waiting for rescue
      >
      >May 2, 2006

      One of them asked for Saturday's paper , so he can look for a new job.

      Nick
    • Caye Caswick
      Message 2 of 11 , May 3, 2006
        I love that "pear shaped" phrase -- I'll pray for
        everyone -- keep us up-to-date, Amanda and best of
        luck to Mike and the rest of the crew.

        Caye

        --- Nick Holcz <nickh@...> wrote:

        > At 12:46 PM 3/05/2006, you wrote:
        > >--- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Amanda
        > Lovitt" <cread@...>
        > >wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Hi Caye
        > >

        > > > The whole thing could still go horribly pear
        > shaped.
        > > >

        > > > Amanda
        > > >

        > >"Aussie miners trapped for week waiting for rescue
        > >
        > >May 2, 2006
        >

        > One of them asked for Saturday's paper , so he can
        > look for a new job.
        >
        > Nick

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Amanda Lovitt
        Message 3 of 11 , May 3, 2006
          Hi Caye

          He phoned today and his job at the moment is vibration monitoring which he
          did for about 20 hours straight. Then he will be designing the blasting of
          the final 3 metres (about 9 feet) of the tunnel to get them out.

          At least pear shaped is polite! Aussies have some amazing colourful phrases
          to describe the same situation you know.

          Thanks for your good wishes too.

          Amanda
        • Caye Caswick
          Message 4 of 11 , May 4, 2006
            Thanks Amanda -- still hoping things work out well,
            sounds like Mike is giving it his all, "atta boy!"

            Keep those phrases coming, they are cool -- the Irish
            also have a couple funny ones . . .

            Two of my favorites:

            (1) little girl falls down -- her grandparent tells
            her, "Don't worry, you'll be alright by the time you
            get married." and

            (2) you use a complicated multi-syllabled word and the
            Irish will ask you "what's that with it's feet up?"
            Meaning, speak English, stop talking in scientific
            terms!

            ;-D
            Caye

            --- Amanda Lovitt <cread@...> wrote:

            > Hi Caye
            >
            > He phoned today and his job at the moment is
            > vibration monitoring which he
            > did for about 20 hours straight. Then he will be
            > designing the blasting of
            > the final 3 metres (about 9 feet) of the tunnel to
            > get them out.
            >
            > At least pear shaped is polite! Aussies have some
            > amazing colourful phrases
            > to describe the same situation you know.
            >

            > Thanks for your good wishes too.
            >

            > Amanda

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Amanda Lovitt
            Message 5 of 11 , May 4, 2006
              My grandfather was never allowed to swear in front of Mum and my uncle, and
              then me when I came along. Grandma considered it acceptable to say "The
              Thundering Thing". It still remains the worst possible swear word in our
              family as it surpasses all other options!

              Mike has picked up on family humour over last 22 years and on the phone this
              morning resorted to "the thundering rock fall". I knew he didn't mean the
              noise!

              Amanda
            • Caye Caswick
              Message 6 of 11 , May 5, 2006
                Thanks, Amanda, I just read this story -- glad there's
                some levity ...

                http://www.abc.net.au/pm/content/2006/s1632056.htm

                I'll add the miners and Mike's name to our prayer list
                at church on Sunday -- continuing to root for them
                all.

                Caye

                http://mail.yahoo.com