Re: [Slovak-World] Beaconsfield Mine

  • Nick Holcz
    Message 1 of 11 , May 3, 2006
      At 10:56 AM 3/05/2006, you wrote:
      >Hi Caye
      >
      >The men are still underground about 1300 feet down in a 4 feet wide cage and
      >about 50 feet of tunnelling still to do to get them out. The media are
      >making a field day out of this and unfortunately putting enormous pressure
      >on the rescuers as a result.
      >
      >The whole thing could still go horribly pear shaped.

      Amanda

      That is right they shouldn't be cheering yet. They need to leave the
      rescue team alone.

      Nick
    • Nick Holcz
      Message 2 of 11 , May 3, 2006
        At 12:46 PM 3/05/2006, you wrote:
        >--- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Amanda Lovitt" <cread@...>
        >wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi Caye
        >

        > > The whole thing could still go horribly pear shaped.
        > >

        > > Amanda
        > >

        >"Aussie miners trapped for week waiting for rescue
        >
        >May 2, 2006

        One of them asked for Saturday's paper , so he can look for a new job.

        Nick
      • Caye Caswick
        Message 3 of 11 , May 3, 2006
          I love that "pear shaped" phrase -- I'll pray for
          everyone -- keep us up-to-date, Amanda and best of
          luck to Mike and the rest of the crew.

          Caye

          --- Nick Holcz <nickh@...> wrote:

          > At 12:46 PM 3/05/2006, you wrote:
          > >--- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Amanda
          > Lovitt" <cread@...>
          > >wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Hi Caye
          > >

          > > > The whole thing could still go horribly pear
          > shaped.
          > > >

          > > > Amanda
          > > >

          > >"Aussie miners trapped for week waiting for rescue
          > >
          > >May 2, 2006
          >

          > One of them asked for Saturday's paper , so he can
          > look for a new job.
          >
          > Nick

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Amanda Lovitt
          Message 4 of 11 , May 3, 2006
            Hi Caye

            He phoned today and his job at the moment is vibration monitoring which he
            did for about 20 hours straight. Then he will be designing the blasting of
            the final 3 metres (about 9 feet) of the tunnel to get them out.

            At least pear shaped is polite! Aussies have some amazing colourful phrases
            to describe the same situation you know.

            Thanks for your good wishes too.

            Amanda
          • Caye Caswick
            Message 5 of 11 , May 4, 2006
              Thanks Amanda -- still hoping things work out well,
              sounds like Mike is giving it his all, "atta boy!"

              Keep those phrases coming, they are cool -- the Irish
              also have a couple funny ones . . .

              Two of my favorites:

              (1) little girl falls down -- her grandparent tells
              her, "Don't worry, you'll be alright by the time you
              get married." and

              (2) you use a complicated multi-syllabled word and the
              Irish will ask you "what's that with it's feet up?"
              Meaning, speak English, stop talking in scientific
              terms!

              ;-D
              Caye

              --- Amanda Lovitt <cread@...> wrote:

              > Hi Caye
              >
              > He phoned today and his job at the moment is
              > vibration monitoring which he
              > did for about 20 hours straight. Then he will be
              > designing the blasting of
              > the final 3 metres (about 9 feet) of the tunnel to
              > get them out.
              >
              > At least pear shaped is polite! Aussies have some
              > amazing colourful phrases
              > to describe the same situation you know.
              >

              > Thanks for your good wishes too.
              >

              > Amanda

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Amanda Lovitt
              Message 6 of 11 , May 4, 2006
                My grandfather was never allowed to swear in front of Mum and my uncle, and
                then me when I came along. Grandma considered it acceptable to say "The
                Thundering Thing". It still remains the worst possible swear word in our
                family as it surpasses all other options!

                Mike has picked up on family humour over last 22 years and on the phone this
                morning resorted to "the thundering rock fall". I knew he didn't mean the
                noise!

                Amanda
              • Caye Caswick
                Message 7 of 11 , May 5, 2006
                  Thanks, Amanda, I just read this story -- glad there's
                  some levity ...

                  http://www.abc.net.au/pm/content/2006/s1632056.htm

                  I'll add the miners and Mike's name to our prayer list
                  at church on Sunday -- continuing to root for them
                  all.

                  Caye

                  http://mail.yahoo.com