Dukla Pass Presentation, NJ May 13 - Veteran of the CSK Army Corps to attend

  • Bill Tarkulich
    Message 1 of 3 , May 2, 2006
      Dukla Pass Presentation, NJ May 13 - Veteran of the CSK Army Corps to
      attend

      A presentation on the Battle of Dukla Pass (Carpatho-Dukla
      Operation), 1944 will be given on May 13th in Wayne, NJ.

      Mr. John Kulhan, a member of the Czechoslovak Army Corps fighting
      with the Red Army at Dukla will be our honored special guest.

      Admission is free, sponsored by the Carpatho Rusyn Society NJ
      Chapter. For those who cannot attend, the CRS sells a videotape of
      the presentation for a nominal fee.

      For more information on the presentation, including directions and
      the CRS, see:

      http://www.carpathorusynsociety.org/Chapters/NJ/Dukla.html

      A brief biography of Mr. Kulhan is included below

      Bill Tarkulich

      --------

      Veteran honored for Eastern Front battle

      By ROBERT MARCHANT

      THE JOURNAL NEWS

      (Original Publication: October 3, 2005)

      Battle of Dukla Pass took heavy casualties

      When: Sept. 8 until the end of October 1944, with further Soviet
      advances continuing through November

      Where: Southern Poland, Slovakia, eastern Ukraine

      Casualties: 84,000 Soviets, 54,000 Germans and 6,000 in the
      Czechoslovak Army Corps

      Result: Nazi troops forced out of Slovakia; Red Army poised to take
      Prague in May 1945.

      Thursday is "Liberation Day" in the eastern European nation of
      Slovakia. There will be speeches, toasts, proclamations and, for an
      84-year-old veteran from Eastchester, a particularly sweet moment.

      John (Jan) Kulhan was one of those liberators who helped turn the
      tide a against the Third Reich and one of the handful of survivors of
      a ferocious battle in the fall of 1944 that drove the Nazis from his
      homeland. The Battle of Dukla Pass raged for a month between the
      Nazis and the Soviet Army and their allies
      in the region bordered by Poland, Slovakia and Ukraine known as the
      Dukla Pass, a section of the northern Carpathian mountains.

      Kulhan, 83, a former Bronxville resident and retired engineer, will
      be honored in a semi-official ceremony at the Military Museum in
      Svidnik, Slovakia, his native land. He was a young artillery and
      transport officer in the old Czechoslovak army allied with the
      Soviets, and he is the last known Slovakian to have taken part in a
      battle that has a complex and enduring legacy in eastern Europe.

      "We wanted to create our own country. I was fighting for my own
      freedom. It didn't happen then; communism dominated everything,"
      Kulhan recalled.

      But the fight gave Slovakia a sense of its destiny as an autonomous
      nation, which it finally became in 1993 after separating peacefully
      from the Czech Republic. "When I was fighting, I was fighting for the
      idea that everybody should be free, not a slave," he said.

      His Czechoslovak army unit was pressed into service by the Germans
      against the Soviets after the Nazis took over Czechoslovakia, but the
      unit later switched sides and joined the fight against the German
      military machine.

      Kulhan can recall the 1944 battle with sharp details as his clear,
      gray eyes narrow with concentration — how German prisoners looked
      when they finally surrendered after a murderous artillery barrage,
      the sound of a mortar shell on its downward arc.

      He tells many stories of his past — how he saved the future president
      of Czechoslovakia, Gen. Ludvik Svoboda, by pushing him out of a
      bunker that was targeted by Nazi artillery moments before it was
      destroyed, working with American intelligence agents after the war,
      sneaking out of Slovakia with his wife and children in a daring
      border-crossing to Austria.

      "He never got the recognition he deserved," said Kulhan's son-in-law,
      Joseph Kenney, a New Jersey immigration officer and an Army Reserve
      lieutenant colonel. "When he turned against the Communists, they
      turned against him."

      At the ceremony on Thursday, Kulhan will be honored for the first
      time by his native Slovakia since it became an autonomous country.

      Kulhan came to this country in 1950 and became a proud American, an
      admirer of Ronald Reagan who can quote lines from his speeches. As
      for his native land, he said he hoped his part in the campaign of
      1944 will bring greater attention to the cause for which he fought.

      "I got enough medals. But I'd like recognition for the people who
      fought and died for Slovakian independence," he said.

      A father of five, he will be joined in his journey by his wife,
      Marta, to whom he has been married for 59 years.

      There are still animosities and political fissures in Slovakia, much
      of it stemming from the World War II era and its aftermath under
      Soviet domination.

      "People were caught up in the maelstrom, and they had to make hard
      choices," said Vladimir Baumgarten, a Florida scholar who has
      researched the battle of Dukla Pass and runs a cultural organization
      promoting Slovak-American ties.

      Speaking of the commemoration of the battle this week in which Kulhan
      will be honored, Baumgarten said, "Hopefully, it will be a healing
      catharsis. It brings together both sides of the Cold War."

      It will also be a moment of family pride. The old soldier's daughter,
      Darline Kulhan, was already bursting with pride before the trip
      started. "I got a new digital camera, and I'm going to take so many
      pictures," she said in her Eastchester home. "He put it on the line
      for freedom, and to get this recognition, it will be a moment of joy."

      Gannett allows the reproduction for personal and non-commercial
      use. "You may download material from the Service and may use the
      Service for your personal, non-commercial use only, provided you keep
      intact all copyright and other proprietary notices."

      "Copyright 2005 The Journal News, a Gannett Co. Inc. newspaper
      serving Westchester, Rockland and Putnam Counties in New York."
    • gergely
      Message 2 of 3 , May 3, 2006
        I can't attend, but I definitely want the videotape - at any cost. I've
        been trying to find anything on this battle in English for years. I have
        letters from my family in the area while they were still living in tents in
        1947 - years after the destruction. How do I get it?

        Jack Gergely
        Newport News
        gergely@...

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Bill Tarkulich
        Message 3 of 3 , May 5, 2006
          Hello Jack,
          I would suggest contacting by email,
          Carpatho-Rusyn Society
          5304 Perry Highway, Erie, PA 16509-3559
          Phone: 412 462-2769 E-mail: sales@...

          Not every event is listed in the catalog, but are orderable. I did
          this before regaring a lecture on wooden churches.

          Regarding Dukla, I have been doing very extensive research on this
          event for the past six months. I have been in touch with most all of
          the major historians and have read the works of the Red Army Generals
          involved in the battle. The presentation is really just the tip of
          the iceburg. Especially with the breakdown of the iron curtain,
          information is beginning to pour out of Russia. In fact, so much so,
          that certain history books need to be re-written. Most of
          the "eastern front" historical descriptions have come from a German
          perspective, and once the Germans started losing in 1944-45, they
          stopped writing. Thus a dearth of info.

          I have several books on Dukla. I have much material that I have
          translated from Russian. I am waiting for the memoirs of General
          Heinrici to be made public and I anxiously await the next edition
          of "Forgotton Battles" by Glantz which will include Dukla. Glantz
          informs me it won't be until 2007 for his book.

          One thing which needs to be emphasized is that a very large chunk of
          the battle occurred on Polish soil, before they even got to the pass.

          Myself and Vladimir Baumgarten (http://www.duklapass.org/ ) have been
          collecting memoirs of participants and citizens affected or involved
          in the fighting. I would be most interested in hearing your stories
          from back home. My objective is to put a personal face on it. In
          return, I am more than happy to send you gobs of info on the battle
          and it's impact.

          Regards,
          Bill Tarkulich

          --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "gergely" <gergely@...> wrote:

          > I can't attend, but I definitely want the videotape - at any cost.
          I've
          > been trying to find anything on this battle in English for years.
          I have
          > letters from my family in the area while they were still living in
          tents in
          > 1947 - years after the destruction. How do I get it?
          >
          > Jack Gergely
          > Newport News
          > gergely@...

          Veteran of