Beaconsfield Mine

  • Amanda Lovitt
    Message 1 of 11 , May 1 10:55 PM
      Just a quick note to let you know that Mike was flown to the minesite
      Monday afternoon to put his drill and blast skills and mines rescue
      knowledge to good work to get those two miners trapped underground out of
      there as fast as possible. So keep a couple of fingers crossed for him too!

      Amanda
    • Caye Caswick
      Message 2 of 11 , May 2 6:31 AM
        Classic photo on the cover of the Chicago Sun Times
        this morning . . . of three fathers of the miners
        smiling ear-to-ear. Guess Mike did 'em proud --
        congratulations!

        Caye

        --- Amanda Lovitt <cread@...> wrote:

        > Just a quick note to let you know that Mike was
        > flown to the minesite
        > Monday afternoon to put his drill and blast skills
        > and mines rescue
        > knowledge to good work to get those two miners
        > trapped underground out of
        > there as fast as possible. So keep a couple of
        > fingers crossed for him too!
        >
        > Amanda

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Amanda Lovitt
        Message 3 of 11 , May 2 7:56 PM
          Hi Caye

          The men are still underground about 1300 feet down in a 4 feet wide cage and
          about 50 feet of tunnelling still to do to get them out. The media are
          making a field day out of this and unfortunately putting enormous pressure
          on the rescuers as a result.

          The whole thing could still go horribly pear shaped.

          Amanda
        • sandman6294
          Message 4 of 11 , May 2 9:46 PM
            --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Amanda Lovitt" <cread@...>
            wrote:

            > Hi Caye

            > The whole thing could still go horribly pear shaped.
            >

            > Amanda

            "Aussie miners trapped for week waiting for rescue

            May 2, 2006

            BEACONSFIELD, Australia -- Wedged for nearly a week in a cramped cage
            a half-mile underground, two gold miners got right to the point when
            rescuers made radio contact: ''Get us out.''

            The words brought joy to this town of 3,000 on the southern
            Australian island state of Tasmania, but officials said it could be
            two more days before emergency crews are able to rescue the trapped
            men.

            Brant Webb, 37, and Todd Russell, 34, were trapped April 25 by a cave-
            in that killed another miner.

            Webb and Russell apparently were saved by a slab of rock that fell
            onto the cage of their cherry-picker and prevented smaller rocks from
            hitting them after a small earthquake.

            To reach the two miners, rescue workers must tunnel through 40 feet
            of collapsed rock without triggering another collapse.

            On Monday, rescuers fed the trapped men biscuits, water, a protein
            drink and vitamin tablets through a tube. The men had been getting by
            on rancid water that drips through the rocks. Enough oxygen also got
            through to keep them alive.

            AP

            Copyright © The Sun-Times Company"

            Courtesy of Caye - RU
          • Nick Holcz
            Message 5 of 11 , May 3 2:21 AM
              At 10:56 AM 3/05/2006, you wrote:
              >Hi Caye
              >
              >The men are still underground about 1300 feet down in a 4 feet wide cage and
              >about 50 feet of tunnelling still to do to get them out. The media are
              >making a field day out of this and unfortunately putting enormous pressure
              >on the rescuers as a result.
              >
              >The whole thing could still go horribly pear shaped.

              Amanda

              That is right they shouldn't be cheering yet. They need to leave the
              rescue team alone.

              Nick
            • Nick Holcz
              Message 6 of 11 , May 3 2:23 AM
                At 12:46 PM 3/05/2006, you wrote:
                >--- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Amanda Lovitt" <cread@...>
                >wrote:
                > >
                > > Hi Caye
                >

                > > The whole thing could still go horribly pear shaped.
                > >

                > > Amanda
                > >

                >"Aussie miners trapped for week waiting for rescue
                >
                >May 2, 2006

                One of them asked for Saturday's paper , so he can look for a new job.

                Nick
              • Caye Caswick
                Message 7 of 11 , May 3 6:40 AM
                  I love that "pear shaped" phrase -- I'll pray for
                  everyone -- keep us up-to-date, Amanda and best of
                  luck to Mike and the rest of the crew.

                  Caye

                  --- Nick Holcz <nickh@...> wrote:

                  > At 12:46 PM 3/05/2006, you wrote:
                  > >--- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Amanda
                  > Lovitt" <cread@...>
                  > >wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Hi Caye
                  > >

                  > > > The whole thing could still go horribly pear
                  > shaped.
                  > > >

                  > > > Amanda
                  > > >

                  > >"Aussie miners trapped for week waiting for rescue
                  > >
                  > >May 2, 2006
                  >

                  > One of them asked for Saturday's paper , so he can
                  > look for a new job.
                  >
                  > Nick

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • Amanda Lovitt
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 3 8:34 PM
                    Hi Caye

                    He phoned today and his job at the moment is vibration monitoring which he
                    did for about 20 hours straight. Then he will be designing the blasting of
                    the final 3 metres (about 9 feet) of the tunnel to get them out.

                    At least pear shaped is polite! Aussies have some amazing colourful phrases
                    to describe the same situation you know.

                    Thanks for your good wishes too.

                    Amanda
                  • Caye Caswick
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 4 6:40 AM
                      Thanks Amanda -- still hoping things work out well,
                      sounds like Mike is giving it his all, "atta boy!"

                      Keep those phrases coming, they are cool -- the Irish
                      also have a couple funny ones . . .

                      Two of my favorites:

                      (1) little girl falls down -- her grandparent tells
                      her, "Don't worry, you'll be alright by the time you
                      get married." and

                      (2) you use a complicated multi-syllabled word and the
                      Irish will ask you "what's that with it's feet up?"
                      Meaning, speak English, stop talking in scientific
                      terms!

                      ;-D
                      Caye

                      --- Amanda Lovitt <cread@...> wrote:

                      > Hi Caye
                      >
                      > He phoned today and his job at the moment is
                      > vibration monitoring which he
                      > did for about 20 hours straight. Then he will be
                      > designing the blasting of
                      > the final 3 metres (about 9 feet) of the tunnel to
                      > get them out.
                      >
                      > At least pear shaped is polite! Aussies have some
                      > amazing colourful phrases
                      > to describe the same situation you know.
                      >

                      > Thanks for your good wishes too.
                      >

                      > Amanda

                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                    • Amanda Lovitt
                      Message 10 of 11 , May 4 10:03 PM
                        My grandfather was never allowed to swear in front of Mum and my uncle, and
                        then me when I came along. Grandma considered it acceptable to say "The
                        Thundering Thing". It still remains the worst possible swear word in our
                        family as it surpasses all other options!

                        Mike has picked up on family humour over last 22 years and on the phone this
                        morning resorted to "the thundering rock fall". I knew he didn't mean the
                        noise!

                        Amanda
                      • Caye Caswick
                        Message 11 of 11 , May 5 8:00 AM
                          Thanks, Amanda, I just read this story -- glad there's
                          some levity ...

                          http://www.abc.net.au/pm/content/2006/s1632056.htm

                          I'll add the miners and Mike's name to our prayer list
                          at church on Sunday -- continuing to root for them
                          all.

                          Caye

                          http://mail.yahoo.com