Supermarket theft

  • Martin Votruba
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 24, 2006
      The Slovaks and Czechs became Western and Central Europe's leaders in
      supermarket theft/wastage last year, with the Hungarians, Portuguese
      and Finns not far behind. Supermarket theft/wastage remained at the
      lowest level in Switzerland closely followed by Austria with Germany
      farther behind.

      The report <www.retailresearch.org> released this week estimates that,
      on average, 45% of it is stolen by the customers, 37% by the staff, 6%
      by the suppliers, and 14% is due to "internal errors."

      The percentages are low, so the changes from year to year can be quite
      dramatic.

      In 2005 it was 1.4% of the turnover in Slovakia, 1.4% Czech R., 1.36%
      Hungary, 1.36% Portugal, 1.35% Finland -- 1.07% Germany, 0.95%
      Austria, 0.89% Switzerland.

      The year before, however, Slovakia was the 6th country, out of 22,
      with the lowest supermarket theft rate, while Britain was at the top
      with 1.59%, followed by Finland, Greece and France. Switzerland and
      Austria had the lowest theft level in 2004, too.

      US estimates, which also vary, say that supermarket theft by Americans
      represents about 1.32% of sales.

      Martin

      votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
    • Bill Tarkulich
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 27, 2006
        From what I can see, software theft/pirating is also quite huge.

        --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Martin Votruba" <votrubam@...>
        wrote:

        > The Slovaks and Czechs became Western and Central Europe's leaders in
        > supermarket theft/wastage last year, with the Hungarians, Portuguese
        > and Finns not far behind. Supermarket theft/wastage remained at the
        > lowest level in Switzerland closely followed by Austria with Germany
        > farther behind.
        >
        > The report <www.retailresearch.org> released this week estimates that,
        > on average, 45% of it is stolen by the customers, 37% by the staff, 6%
        > by the suppliers, and 14% is due to "internal errors."
        >
        > The percentages are low, so the changes from year to year can be quite
        > dramatic.
        >
        > In 2005 it was 1.4% of the turnover in Slovakia, 1.4% Czech R., 1.36%
        > Hungary, 1.36% Portugal, 1.35% Finland -- 1.07% Germany, 0.95%
        > Austria, 0.89% Switzerland.
        >
        > The year before, however, Slovakia was the 6th country, out of 22,
        > with the lowest supermarket theft rate, while Britain was at the top
        > with 1.59%, followed by Finland, Greece and France. Switzerland and
        > Austria had the lowest theft level in 2004, too.
        >
        > US estimates, which also vary, say that supermarket theft by Americans
        > represents about 1.32% of sales.
        >

        > Martin
        >
        > votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu

      • Martin Votruba
        Message 3 of 3 , May 4 6:40 PM
          > From what I can see, software theft/pirating is also quite huge.

          Certainly not "huge" in Slovakia, Bill, according to the latest annual
          "Special 301" report released last week by the Office of the U.S.
          Trade Representative. It did not include Slovakia on its 2006 watch
          list of the countries that don't protect intellectual property rights.

          While Slovakia is not among them, the countries that Washington says
          do not provide adequate and effective protection include Canada,
          Hungary, and Poland.

          Martin

          votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu