Slovak proverbs

    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 3, 2006
      "Tu je ten pes zakopany"
      lit.: Here's that buried dog.
      There's the rub.

      "Urob c~ertu dobre, peklom sa ti odsluz~i"
      lit.: Do something nice for the devil and he'll pay you back with hell
      To warm the serpent in one's bosom
      ANYONE CARE TO ELABORATE ON THIS ONE?

      "Urobit' vlka pastierom"
      lit.: Making the wolf a shepherd
      To set the wolf to keep the sheep
      Setting the wolf to guard the henhouse

    • Martin Votruba
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 3, 2006
        > "Urob c~ertu dobre, peklom sa ti odsluz~i"
        > lit.: Do something nice for the devil and
        > he'll pay you back with hell
        > To warm the serpent in one's bosom
        > ANYONE CARE TO ELABORATE ON THIS ONE?

        The serpent is from a fable by Aesop, but you probably mean the Slovak
        proverb, Helen? It's quite common. It expresses skepticism about "a
        leopard shedding its spots." Don't hope to change a bad person by
        being nice to him/her, he won't be grateful and will treat you the
        only way he knows how.

        Martin

        votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 3, 2006
          To quote an old Slovak-American saying (here I quote an uncle of the hockey-playing S~t'astny brothers):

          "Ahh! To je c~o je tento vacumere!"

          [translation: "Ahh! That's what that what's-the-matter is!]
          It's all in the pronunciation (the "r" is a cross between an "r" and a "t") and intonation...honest.

          >>> votrubam@... 04/03/06 3:37 PM >>>
          > "Urob c~ertu dobre, peklom sa ti odsluz~i"
          > lit.: Do something nice for the devil and
          > he'll pay you back with hell
          > To warm the serpent in one's bosom
          > ANYONE CARE TO ELABORATE ON THIS ONE?

          The serpent is from a fable by Aesop, but you probably mean the Slovak
          proverb, Helen? It's quite common. It expresses skepticism about "a
          leopard shedding its spots." Don't hope to change a bad person by
          being nice to him/her, he won't be grateful and will treat you the
          only way he knows how.

          Martin

          votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        • Nick Holcz
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 4, 2006
            At 03:37 AM 4/04/2006, you wrote:
            > > "Urob c~ertu dobre, peklom sa ti odsluz~i"
            > > lit.: Do something nice for the devil and
            > > he'll pay you back with hell
            > > To warm the serpent in one's bosom
            > > ANYONE CARE TO ELABORATE ON THIS ONE?

            My mother told me " if you sup with the devil use a long spoon"

            Nick
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 12, 2006
              "Viac oc~i viac vidi"
              lit.: the more eyes, the more that is seen
              Two (four) eyes see more than one (two)

              "Vino do hlavy, rozum von z hlavy"
              lit.: Wine into the head, reason out of the head
              When the wine is in, the wit is out

              "Vino rozvesel'uje srdce c~loveka"
              Wine makes glad the heart of man