RE: [Slovak-World] Cabbage & Noodles

  • Gregory J Kopchak
    Message 1 of 22 , Apr 2, 2006
      Paul:

      I love the recipe!

      Wing it and have fun.

      This is the problem of finding REAL Slovak recipes.

      Most Baba's shared your attitude.

      You are an "Old School" cook.

      Greg Kopchak
      It's All Relative

      Message 2 of 22 , Apr 3, 2006
        For more flavor -- I put the cabbage/onion aside after
        frying (in a bowl or on a paper plate) -- then put the
        noodles in the pan with some beef broth (or bullion,
        only that's pretty salty) -- and cook the noodles in
        that same pan -- then toss back in the cabbage/onion
        -- try that, only one pan to wash too.

        Caye

        --- Gregory J Kopchak <greg@...> wrote:

        > Paul:
        >
        > I love the recipe!
        >
        > Wing it and have fun.
        >
        > This is the problem of finding REAL Slovak recipes.
        >
        > Most Baba's shared your attitude.
        >
        > You are an "Old School" cook.
        >
        > Greg Kopchak
        > It's All Relative

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Paul Wolsko
        Message 3 of 22 , Apr 3, 2006
          Darn right, Greg. People are VERY hung up in measuring everything, and
          I never saw my mother measure anything - even for baking, where they say
          measuring is crucial. Well...who is "they"? Somehow, our dumbfounded
          ancestors seemed to have produced some knockout comfort foods that we
          can still enjoy and pass on to our kids.

          Paul W.

          BTW, my wife likes to throw a dollop is "Pot Cheese" (Cottage Cheese)
          atop the noodles and cabbage. I must admit, it's pretty good.

          Gregory J Kopchak wrote:
          > Paul:
          >
          > I love the recipe!
          >
          > Wing it and have fun.
          >
          > This is the problem of finding REAL Slovak recipes.
          >
          > Most Baba's shared your attitude.
          >
          > You are an "Old School" cook.
          >
          > Greg Kopchak
          > It's All Relative

        • Paul Wolsko
          Message 4 of 22 , Apr 3, 2006
            Funny about that - we've never used onions. That seems to fit nicely
            and I wouldn't mind trying it, but my wife says my recipe stays. After
            35 years battling with her, I guess we don't do onions. <g>

            Paul

            Michelle Burke wrote:
            > You forgot the onions....
            >
            > Paul Wolsko <pwolsko@...> wrote: Cut cabbage.
            > Fry in butter until lightly brown.
            > Boil broad Pennsy Dutch egg noodles until done. Drain.
            > Throw cabbage in noodles.
            > Heat.
            > Eat.
            >
            > Quantities in this recipe are not important.
            >
            > Paul W.
            >

            > goslovakia@... wrote:
            >

            >> A while back there was a recipe for cabbage and noodles on the site. I lost the info on my computer and need it again, can anyone help Please????????
            >>
            >> George

            >> Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Joann
            Message 5 of 22 , Apr 3, 2006
              If you want to try another version that my Baba, my mother and I have made
              for many years........................fry onion with the cabbage. Then, fry
              some diced bacon in another pan until about half done then toss in some
              diced onions and fry till brown. Mix cooked noodles, bacon/onion mixture
              and cabbage/onion mixure together and you have a real Slovak meal. My
              daughters are now making this for a full 4 generations of our Halushki and
              Kapusta.

              Enjoy,
              Joann

              > For more flavor -- I put the cabbage/onion aside after
              > frying (in a bowl or on a paper plate) -- then put the
              > noodles in the pan with some beef broth (or bullion,
              > only that's pretty salty) -- and cook the noodles in
              > that same pan -- then toss back in the cabbage/onion
              > -- try that, only one pan to wash too.
              >

              > Caye
              >

              > --- Gregory J Kopchak <greg@...> wrote:
              >
              >> Paul:
              >>
              >> I love the recipe!
              >>
              >> Wing it and have fun.
              >>
              >> This is the problem of finding REAL Slovak recipes.
              >>
              >> Most Baba's shared your attitude.
              >>
              >> You are an "Old School" cook.
              >>
              >> Greg Kopchak
              >> It's All Relative

            • Michelle Burke
              Message 6 of 22 , Apr 4, 2006
                I'm sure that it's good without onions too. The important ingredient is BUTTER!

                Paul Wolsko <pwolsko@...> wrote: Funny about that - we've never used onions. That seems to fit nicely

                Michelle Burke wrote:
                > You forgot the onions....
                >
                > Paul Wolsko <pwolsko@...> wrote: Cut cabbage.
                > Fry in butter until lightly brown.
                > Boil broad Pennsy Dutch egg noodles until done. Drain.
                > Throw cabbage in noodles.
                > Heat.
                > Eat.
                >
                > Quantities in this recipe are not important.
                >
                > Paul W.
                >

                > goslovakia@... wrote:
                >

                >> A while back there was a recipe for cabbage and noodles on the site. I lost the info on my computer and need it again, can anyone help Please????????
                >>
                >> George

                >> Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Michelle Burke

                  Message 8 of 22 , Apr 4, 2006
                    Wow. You got that right. Butter is the key for sure!

                  • Paul Wolsko
                    Message 9 of 22 , Apr 4, 2006
                      Well I will split hairs here, since I pride myself as a gourmet cook
                      (although gourmand may be a better description). Bacon is OK, but
                      sometimes you want the pork fat without the smokey component of regular
                      bacon. To fix that, I'd suggest Italian Pancetta - use it like regular
                      bacon. Have never tried it with Cabbage & Noodles, but I will one of
                      these days. For me, it's butter - nothing quite browns up well like butter.

                      Gotta go - having basic Slovak beef soup tonight. In French, Pot Au Feu
                      for the food snobs.

                      Cheers!

                      Paul

                    • Paul Wolsko