Re: [Slovak-World] Cabbage & Noodles

  • Paul Wolsko
    Message 1 of 22 , Apr 2 7:47 AM
      Cut cabbage.
      Fry in butter until lightly brown.
      Boil broad Pennsy Dutch egg noodles until done. Drain.
      Throw cabbage in noodles.
      Heat.
      Eat.

      Quantities in this recipe are not important.

      Paul W.

      goslovakia@... wrote:

      > A while back there was a recipe for cabbage and noodles on the site. I lost the info on my computer and need it again, can anyone help Please????????
      >
      > George

    • Michelle Burke
      Message 2 of 22 , Apr 2 8:33 AM
        You forgot the onions....

        Paul Wolsko <pwolsko@...> wrote: Cut cabbage.

        goslovakia@... wrote:

        > A while back there was a recipe for cabbage and noodles on the site. I lost the info on my computer and need it again, can anyone help Please????????
        >
        > George

      • Carol
        Message 3 of 22 , Apr 2 12:19 PM
          I love this recipe - especially the way it is worded :)) A wonderful picture
          pops into mind when one reads the fourth line.
          Anyway you write it - the proof is in the eating - hmmm ... so good.
          Carol
          > Boil broad Pennsy Dutch egg noodles until done. Drain.
          > Throw cabbage in noodles.
          > Heat.
          > Eat.
          >
          > Quantities in this recipe are not important.
          >
          > Paul W.
          >

          > goslovakia@... wrote:
          >>

          >> A while back there was a recipe for cabbage and noodles on the site. I
          >> lost the info on my computer and need it again, can anyone help
          >> Please????????
          >>
          >> George

          >> Yahoo! Groups Links

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Gregory J Kopchak
          Message 4 of 22 , Apr 2 2:42 PM
            Paul:

            I love the recipe!

            Wing it and have fun.

            This is the problem of finding REAL Slovak recipes.

            Most Baba's shared your attitude.

            You are an "Old School" cook.

            Greg Kopchak
            It's All Relative

            goslovakia@... wrote:

            > A while back there was a recipe for cabbage and noodles on the site. I
            lost the info on my computer and need it again, can anyone help
            Please????????

            > George

          • Caye Caswick
            Message 5 of 22 , Apr 3 9:48 AM
              For more flavor -- I put the cabbage/onion aside after
              frying (in a bowl or on a paper plate) -- then put the
              noodles in the pan with some beef broth (or bullion,
              only that's pretty salty) -- and cook the noodles in
              that same pan -- then toss back in the cabbage/onion
              -- try that, only one pan to wash too.

              Caye

              --- Gregory J Kopchak <greg@...> wrote:

              > Paul:
              >
              > I love the recipe!
              >
              > Wing it and have fun.
              >
              > This is the problem of finding REAL Slovak recipes.
              >
              > Most Baba's shared your attitude.
              >
              > You are an "Old School" cook.
              >
              > Greg Kopchak
              > It's All Relative

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Paul Wolsko
              Message 6 of 22 , Apr 3 2:47 PM
                Darn right, Greg. People are VERY hung up in measuring everything, and
                I never saw my mother measure anything - even for baking, where they say
                measuring is crucial. Well...who is "they"? Somehow, our dumbfounded
                ancestors seemed to have produced some knockout comfort foods that we
                can still enjoy and pass on to our kids.

                Paul W.

                BTW, my wife likes to throw a dollop is "Pot Cheese" (Cottage Cheese)
                atop the noodles and cabbage. I must admit, it's pretty good.

                Gregory J Kopchak wrote:
                > Paul:
                >
                > I love the recipe!
                >
                > Wing it and have fun.
                >
                > This is the problem of finding REAL Slovak recipes.
                >
                > Most Baba's shared your attitude.
                >
                > You are an "Old School" cook.
                >
                > Greg Kopchak
                > It's All Relative

              • Paul Wolsko
                Message 7 of 22 , Apr 3 2:53 PM
                  Funny about that - we've never used onions. That seems to fit nicely
                  and I wouldn't mind trying it, but my wife says my recipe stays. After
                  35 years battling with her, I guess we don't do onions. <g>

                  Paul

                  Michelle Burke wrote:
                  > You forgot the onions....
                  >
                  > Paul Wolsko <pwolsko@...> wrote: Cut cabbage.
                  > Fry in butter until lightly brown.
                  > Boil broad Pennsy Dutch egg noodles until done. Drain.
                  > Throw cabbage in noodles.
                  > Heat.
                  > Eat.
                  >
                  > Quantities in this recipe are not important.
                  >
                  > Paul W.
                  >

                  > goslovakia@... wrote:
                  >

                  >> A while back there was a recipe for cabbage and noodles on the site. I lost the info on my computer and need it again, can anyone help Please????????
                  >>
                  >> George

                  >> Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Joann
                  Message 8 of 22 , Apr 3 4:24 PM
                    If you want to try another version that my Baba, my mother and I have made
                    for many years........................fry onion with the cabbage. Then, fry
                    some diced bacon in another pan until about half done then toss in some
                    diced onions and fry till brown. Mix cooked noodles, bacon/onion mixture
                    and cabbage/onion mixure together and you have a real Slovak meal. My
                    daughters are now making this for a full 4 generations of our Halushki and
                    Kapusta.

                    Enjoy,
                    Joann

                    > For more flavor -- I put the cabbage/onion aside after
                    > frying (in a bowl or on a paper plate) -- then put the
                    > noodles in the pan with some beef broth (or bullion,
                    > only that's pretty salty) -- and cook the noodles in
                    > that same pan -- then toss back in the cabbage/onion
                    > -- try that, only one pan to wash too.
                    >

                    > Caye
                    >

                    > --- Gregory J Kopchak <greg@...> wrote:
                    >
                    >> Paul:
                    >>
                    >> I love the recipe!
                    >>
                    >> Wing it and have fun.
                    >>
                    >> This is the problem of finding REAL Slovak recipes.
                    >>
                    >> Most Baba's shared your attitude.
                    >>
                    >> You are an "Old School" cook.
                    >>
                    >> Greg Kopchak
                    >> It's All Relative

                  • Michelle Burke
                    Message 9 of 22 , Apr 4 9:18 AM
                      I'm sure that it's good without onions too. The important ingredient is BUTTER!

                      Paul Wolsko <pwolsko@...> wrote: Funny about that - we've never used onions. That seems to fit nicely

                      Michelle Burke wrote:
                      > You forgot the onions....
                      >
                      > Paul Wolsko <pwolsko@...> wrote: Cut cabbage.
                      > Fry in butter until lightly brown.
                      > Boil broad Pennsy Dutch egg noodles until done. Drain.
                      > Throw cabbage in noodles.
                      > Heat.
                      > Eat.
                      >
                      > Quantities in this recipe are not important.
                      >
                      > Paul W.
                      >

                      > goslovakia@... wrote:
                      >

                      >> A while back there was a recipe for cabbage and noodles on the site. I lost the info on my computer and need it again, can anyone help Please????????
                      >>
                      >> George

                      >> Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Michelle Burke

                        Message 11 of 22 , Apr 4 9:25 AM
                          Wow. You got that right. Butter is the key for sure!

                        • Paul Wolsko
                          Message 12 of 22 , Apr 4 3:23 PM
                            Well I will split hairs here, since I pride myself as a gourmet cook
                            (although gourmand may be a better description). Bacon is OK, but
                            sometimes you want the pork fat without the smokey component of regular
                            bacon. To fix that, I'd suggest Italian Pancetta - use it like regular
                            bacon. Have never tried it with Cabbage & Noodles, but I will one of
                            these days. For me, it's butter - nothing quite browns up well like butter.

                            Gotta go - having basic Slovak beef soup tonight. In French, Pot Au Feu
                            for the food snobs.

                            Cheers!

                            Paul

                          • Paul Wolsko