Re: I'm a new member

  • sandman6294
    Message 1 of 59 , Apr 1, 2006
      >OK, here goes. I apologize for all the controversy I seem to have
      stirred up here on this site.<

      I don't believe you're the cause of the controversy Stephanne. Mr.
      Custer and I have had a strong disagreement over the appropriateness
      of persons with Rusyn heritage being members of Slovak-World. I'm not
      certain what his current position is but, a few years ago, I believe
      he felt that any person with Rusyn heritage belonging to S-W was
      equivalent to their being an "Uncle Tom" to their ethnicity.

      I made a mistake in my initial response to your post. I said my
      wife's uncle (Smerek heritage) was from Ramey. They (Nedwich - a
      corruption of Medwid Or Medved)lived in Madera up the road from you.
      Her maternal relatives (from what is now Slovakia) lived in Morann a
      few miles east of you. I made the mistake because, on a fall trip to
      New England a few years ago, we visited the area including Ramey.

      We visited a relative of hers in Morann and then went to Ramey to
      visit the grave sites of some of her relatives. It was a beautiful
      cold fall day with colorful foliage, sunshine and large clouds
      scudding across the sky. We have photos of the church from its
      location as well as from the cemetery. We were very lucky to find a
      few of her relatives graves in about 15 minutes, since we did not
      have a guide and the cemetery is rather large. After paying our
      respects we continued our trip to New England with a stop off in
      Scranton for a Senape's pitz, which was highly touted on S-W. It was
      worth the stop.

      Stephanne, as others have said, you are welcomed member. I hope your
      nephew gets the opportunity to visit his ancestral village. The way
      you describe him, I believe he would really appreciate the
      experience. I find it hard to describe the feeling of being able to
      walk the ground that your ancestors spent many generations of their
      lives on. While videotaping a panoramic shot of my father's village
      from the road at the edge of town, I felt something brush against my
      ankles. I looked down to see (and videotape) a kitten rubbing
      against my ankles while doing figure eights between my legs. I
      thought that was the greatest greeting to my father's village. It
      made me feel at home even though I had no relatives currently living
      there.

      RU
    • bbagin@verizon.net
      Message 59 of 59 , Apr 3, 2006
        never said it ever! I've just been away fiddling with new DSL line and new address. glad to be back, seems that nothing changes.

        =====================
        From: David <humblebe@...>
        Date: Mon Apr 03 12:57:48 CDT 2006
        To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: Re: Re: Re: [Slovak-World] Re: I'm a new member

        Welcome back Bagin: When you last quit Slovak World, I thought you
        said it was forever? I guess forever is short lived. Welcome back anyway.
        Dave K.

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
         Visit your group "<a href="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Slovak-World">Slovak-World</a>" on the web.

        Bruce Bagin