Cabbage & Noodles

  • goslovakia@aol.com
    Message 1 of 22 , Apr 1, 2006
      A while back there was a recipe for cabbage and noodles on the site. I lost the info on my computer and need it again, can anyone help Please????????

      George

    • Gregory J Kopchak
      Message 2 of 22 , Apr 2, 2006
        Check out the recipes at

        www.iarelative.com/recipe

        Greg Kopchak
        It's All Relative

        A while back there was a recipe for cabbage and noodles on the site. I lost
        the info on my computer and need it again, can anyone help Please????????

        George

      • Paul Wolsko
        Message 3 of 22 , Apr 2, 2006
          Cut cabbage.
          Fry in butter until lightly brown.
          Boil broad Pennsy Dutch egg noodles until done. Drain.
          Throw cabbage in noodles.
          Heat.
          Eat.

          Quantities in this recipe are not important.

          Paul W.

          goslovakia@... wrote:

          > A while back there was a recipe for cabbage and noodles on the site. I lost the info on my computer and need it again, can anyone help Please????????
          >
          > George

        • Michelle Burke
          Message 4 of 22 , Apr 2, 2006
            You forgot the onions....

            Paul Wolsko <pwolsko@...> wrote: Cut cabbage.

            goslovakia@... wrote:

            > A while back there was a recipe for cabbage and noodles on the site. I lost the info on my computer and need it again, can anyone help Please????????
            >
            > George

          • Carol
            Message 5 of 22 , Apr 2, 2006
              I love this recipe - especially the way it is worded :)) A wonderful picture
              pops into mind when one reads the fourth line.
              Anyway you write it - the proof is in the eating - hmmm ... so good.
              Carol
              > Boil broad Pennsy Dutch egg noodles until done. Drain.
              > Throw cabbage in noodles.
              > Heat.
              > Eat.
              >
              > Quantities in this recipe are not important.
              >
              > Paul W.
              >

              > goslovakia@... wrote:
              >>

              >> A while back there was a recipe for cabbage and noodles on the site. I
              >> lost the info on my computer and need it again, can anyone help
              >> Please????????
              >>
              >> George

              >> Yahoo! Groups Links

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Gregory J Kopchak
              Message 6 of 22 , Apr 2, 2006
                Paul:

                I love the recipe!

                Wing it and have fun.

                This is the problem of finding REAL Slovak recipes.

                Most Baba's shared your attitude.

                You are an "Old School" cook.

                Greg Kopchak
                It's All Relative

                goslovakia@... wrote:

                > A while back there was a recipe for cabbage and noodles on the site. I
                lost the info on my computer and need it again, can anyone help
                Please????????

                > George

              • Caye Caswick
                Message 7 of 22 , Apr 3, 2006
                  For more flavor -- I put the cabbage/onion aside after
                  frying (in a bowl or on a paper plate) -- then put the
                  noodles in the pan with some beef broth (or bullion,
                  only that's pretty salty) -- and cook the noodles in
                  that same pan -- then toss back in the cabbage/onion
                  -- try that, only one pan to wash too.

                  Caye

                  --- Gregory J Kopchak <greg@...> wrote:

                  > Paul:
                  >
                  > I love the recipe!
                  >
                  > Wing it and have fun.
                  >
                  > This is the problem of finding REAL Slovak recipes.
                  >
                  > Most Baba's shared your attitude.
                  >
                  > You are an "Old School" cook.
                  >
                  > Greg Kopchak
                  > It's All Relative

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • Paul Wolsko
                  Message 8 of 22 , Apr 3, 2006
                    Darn right, Greg. People are VERY hung up in measuring everything, and
                    I never saw my mother measure anything - even for baking, where they say
                    measuring is crucial. Well...who is "they"? Somehow, our dumbfounded
                    ancestors seemed to have produced some knockout comfort foods that we
                    can still enjoy and pass on to our kids.

                    Paul W.

                    BTW, my wife likes to throw a dollop is "Pot Cheese" (Cottage Cheese)
                    atop the noodles and cabbage. I must admit, it's pretty good.

                    Gregory J Kopchak wrote:
                    > Paul:
                    >
                    > I love the recipe!
                    >
                    > Wing it and have fun.
                    >
                    > This is the problem of finding REAL Slovak recipes.
                    >
                    > Most Baba's shared your attitude.
                    >
                    > You are an "Old School" cook.
                    >
                    > Greg Kopchak
                    > It's All Relative

                  • Paul Wolsko
                    Message 9 of 22 , Apr 3, 2006
                      Funny about that - we've never used onions. That seems to fit nicely
                      and I wouldn't mind trying it, but my wife says my recipe stays. After
                      35 years battling with her, I guess we don't do onions. <g>

                      Paul

                      Michelle Burke wrote:
                      > You forgot the onions....
                      >
                      > Paul Wolsko <pwolsko@...> wrote: Cut cabbage.
                      > Fry in butter until lightly brown.
                      > Boil broad Pennsy Dutch egg noodles until done. Drain.
                      > Throw cabbage in noodles.
                      > Heat.
                      > Eat.
                      >
                      > Quantities in this recipe are not important.
                      >
                      > Paul W.
                      >

                      > goslovakia@... wrote:
                      >

                      >> A while back there was a recipe for cabbage and noodles on the site. I lost the info on my computer and need it again, can anyone help Please????????
                      >>
                      >> George

                      >> Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Joann
                      Message 10 of 22 , Apr 3, 2006
                        If you want to try another version that my Baba, my mother and I have made
                        for many years........................fry onion with the cabbage. Then, fry
                        some diced bacon in another pan until about half done then toss in some
                        diced onions and fry till brown. Mix cooked noodles, bacon/onion mixture
                        and cabbage/onion mixure together and you have a real Slovak meal. My
                        daughters are now making this for a full 4 generations of our Halushki and
                        Kapusta.

                        Enjoy,
                        Joann

                        > For more flavor -- I put the cabbage/onion aside after
                        > frying (in a bowl or on a paper plate) -- then put the
                        > noodles in the pan with some beef broth (or bullion,
                        > only that's pretty salty) -- and cook the noodles in
                        > that same pan -- then toss back in the cabbage/onion
                        > -- try that, only one pan to wash too.
                        >

                        > Caye
                        >

                        > --- Gregory J Kopchak <greg@...> wrote:
                        >
                        >> Paul:
                        >>
                        >> I love the recipe!
                        >>
                        >> Wing it and have fun.
                        >>
                        >> This is the problem of finding REAL Slovak recipes.
                        >>
                        >> Most Baba's shared your attitude.
                        >>
                        >> You are an "Old School" cook.
                        >>
                        >> Greg Kopchak
                        >> It's All Relative

                      • Michelle Burke
                        Message 11 of 22 , Apr 4, 2006
                          I'm sure that it's good without onions too. The important ingredient is BUTTER!

                          Paul Wolsko <pwolsko@...> wrote: Funny about that - we've never used onions. That seems to fit nicely

                          Michelle Burke wrote:
                          > You forgot the onions....
                          >
                          > Paul Wolsko <pwolsko@...> wrote: Cut cabbage.
                          > Fry in butter until lightly brown.
                          > Boil broad Pennsy Dutch egg noodles until done. Drain.
                          > Throw cabbage in noodles.
                          > Heat.
                          > Eat.
                          >
                          > Quantities in this recipe are not important.
                          >
                          > Paul W.
                          >

                          > goslovakia@... wrote:
                          >

                          >> A while back there was a recipe for cabbage and noodles on the site. I lost the info on my computer and need it again, can anyone help Please????????
                          >>
                          >> George

                          >> Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • Michelle Burke

                            Message 13 of 22 , Apr 4, 2006
                              Wow. You got that right. Butter is the key for sure!

                            • Paul Wolsko
                              Message 14 of 22 , Apr 4, 2006
                                Well I will split hairs here, since I pride myself as a gourmet cook
                                (although gourmand may be a better description). Bacon is OK, but
                                sometimes you want the pork fat without the smokey component of regular
                                bacon. To fix that, I'd suggest Italian Pancetta - use it like regular
                                bacon. Have never tried it with Cabbage & Noodles, but I will one of
                                these days. For me, it's butter - nothing quite browns up well like butter.

                                Gotta go - having basic Slovak beef soup tonight. In French, Pot Au Feu
                                for the food snobs.

                                Cheers!

                                Paul

                              • Paul Wolsko