Re: No, THESE are the idioms

  • Martin Votruba
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 28, 2006
      > "akoby sa vs~etky c~erti z~enili"
      > lit.: [it's] as if all the devils were getting
      > married [at the same time]
      > it's infernally bad weather
      > the weather is absolutely foul
      >
      > What's the connection between rain/bad weather and devils?

      I'd definitely say _vsetci_.

      It's a traditional folk image of what it looks like when bad spirits
      are having a party, make mischief in "our world." If all the devils
      (evil spirits) were having a big wedding party ("in the sky/air")
      there would be gale, hail, etc. Compare it to what people might
      imagine the skies would look like if all the angels (good spirits)
      were having a wedding party.

      > "S~uster, drz~ sa svojho kopyta!"
      > "Let not the shoemaker go beyond his last."
      > lit.: Shoemaker, stick to your last!

      > Does this mean: don't go meddling in things that aren't any of
      > your business? Or is this more: don't try to climb above
      > your station in life?

      It's closer to the second one, but the potential reference to status
      is only secondary. It tells someone not to try to be an expert in
      things for which s/he is not qualified. It's equally applicable to,
      say, a doctor who messes up his car engine while "fixing" it because
      s/he doesn't have the skills of a car mechanic.

      Martin

      votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu