More websites for information on Jewish heritage in Slovakia

  • modra101
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 5 11:45 AM
      I am another new member making my way to this forum.

      I've got a few more interesting websites for those looking for
      information on Jews/Jewish heritage in Slovakia. See the links below.

      I'm an American but I taught English in Zlate Moravce (a small town 30
      min east of Nitra) for a year. I heard from my students about the
      "Jewish quarter" and was curious about it. Apparently the Jews before
      WWII lived in some of the prettiest homes in the whole town. There was
      a sinagogue very close by but it has been turned into a school gym. I
      felt a little odd when I went to an indoor rock-climbing event and
      realized I was inside this former sinagogue. Still, atleast the
      building was not destroyed.

      Margarete

      1) http://www.jewishgen.org/cemetery/e-europe/slov-a-l.html#B
      This is a website of Jewish cemeteries throughout Slovakia. It's
      called the International Association of Jewish Genealogical Societies
      - Cemetery Project and was organized by the United States Commission
      for the Preservation of America's Heritage Abroad. It's basically a
      listing of Jewish cemeteries all over the world.

      2) http://www.haruth.com/JewsSlovakia.html
      I don't know anything about who maintains this site, but someone has
      put a lot of effort into it.

      3) http://www.jewishgen.org/bohmor/
      There's no information in Slovakia here, but still interesting and
      done very well. "The purpose of our group is to serve as a forum for
      the exchange of genealogical and historical information relating to
      the Jewish communities that once existed in Austria and the Czech
      Republic"