Re: I am a fledgling new member...

  • sandman6294
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 5, 2006
      >...I am very engaged by all the e-mails and want to say that it is
      all a bit overwhelming and so fascinating to read about all things
      Slovak.I have been quite ignorant until now and must catch up. I have
      requested a family tree from a cousin and know that John Sabanosh, my
      grandfather, originated in Hanusovce.<

      Welcome to S-W. There are a couple of Hanusovce in Slovakia but the
      name is found in the Eastern Slovakia town of Hanusovce nad Toplou (
      http://www.hanusovce.sk/ ). There are four Sabanos^(pronounced
      Sabanosh)listed in the online SK phone directory (
      http://www.zoznamst.sk/eng/index.html ) for the town. Most of the
      other Sabanos^ listed in the directory are also from the area around
      Hanusovce nad Toplou. There is a Jan Sabanos, age 26, farmer in the
      EIDB. He is shown arriving in January 1895. Do you know what
      religion they were?

      >He is deceased as is my grandmother, Mary Ruchinsky. I do not know
      where in Slovakia she originated from.<

      I found three Ruc^insky (pronounced Ruchinsky) in the SK online
      directory. Two are located in Eastern Slovakia.

      >Does anyone know the term "sprosti ivan" (sp.?)? My mother used to
      use that term.<

      Others on this list could handle this better but the term "sprost-" I
      believe would have negative connotations. If I'm in the ball park it
      could mean rude or something similar. If it was "prost-" it could
      mean "just", "straightforward" or "simple" i.e. "honest John"(?).

      >She told me so many stories but I found storks used to sit on the
      roof<

      Storks do migrate each year to Slovakia, among other countries.

      >and the wolves would also hide on the roof in the winter when the
      snow was high to pounce on an unsuspecting human<

      This probably came from old legends and folklore.

      >and all the animals would have to be taken in the house for fear of
      the wolves.<

      I believe most peasant homes were built with attached stables and it
      was normal to have the animals in the stables.

      >Also, supposedly my grandfather John Sabanosh belonged to a family
      with many brothers and they had a ranch and raised cattle and tanned
      the leather hides. Then they exported them and that is how they
      traveled to America, on business as exporters of fine leather goods. <

      Ranches, as we know them in America, did not exist in Slovakia.
      Typically, most people lived on small subsistence farms. Having many
      brothers could be a problem. I'm not certain how the inheritance
      customs worked in Slovakia but I believe the property went to the
      eldest son. As a result, the others became farm workers or, in the
      nineteenth and twentieth century, emigrated to America. They may
      well have been tanners but exporting hides to America would be
      like "shipping coal to Newcastle". If they were expert leather
      workers there might be some credence to the story.

      >They mentioned something about the mountains also.<

      There are a few small mountains in the area but nothing like the
      Tatras.

      RU
    • memzommi1@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 5, 2006
        Thank you so much for all your information. What you have told me really
        clarifies alot. I believe that my grandmother was Catholic and changed to
        Lutheran for my grandfather which was very upsetting to her family. But one must
        understand that she came to America alone at 16 through Ellis Island and
        when she settled in Garfield, New Jersey and met my grandfather he was a member
        of the church there and she married him there. Whether he was Catholic at
        first I do not know but the Trinity Lutheran Church on Palisades Avenue,
        Garfield, New Jersey was having Slovak services and since the churches are very
        similar in belief he could have just gone to that church or not be able to have
        the service in Slovak anywhere else. Or he originally was Lutheran in
        Czechoslovakia, I do not know. I would have to talk more to my Aunt Mary who is
        92. Do you know if the Sabanos family in Hanusovce are Lutheran or Catholic?
        Thank you so much again. Marianne

      • sandman6294
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 5, 2006
          --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, memzommi1@... wrote:

          Do you know if the Sabanos family in Hanusovce are Lutheran or
          Catholic?
          > Thank you so much again. Marianne

          I asked because northeast Slovakia has a high percentage of Greek
          Catholics (services are similar to Russian Orthodox). Most GC's are
          of a minority ethnic group called Rusyns. It appears that Hanusovce
          nad Toplou has Luthern as well as Roman and Greek Catholic parishes.
          I have no idea if the current Sabanos^ residents are Luthern or
          Catholic. You can get their full address and phone number from the
          online directory. If you get the microfilms of the church registers
          for Hanusovce nad Toplou you could find out about your grandfather's
          heritage. They contain baptismal, marriage and death records.

          http://tinyurl.com/rlfct

          The Lutherns are known as Evangelicals in Slovakia. The microfilms
          of the church registers were made by the LDS and can be obtained at
          your local LDS Family History Center.

          RU