Clothing 1200 - 1795

  • amiak27
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 4 5:15 PM
      On occasion we have discussed styles of clothing in Slovakia over
      the ages, and if my memory serves me right, we go back so far and
      the information gets more and more scarce, and of course there are
      the variations among the different layers of society to complicate
      the topic.

      It helps to know wht our neighbors lived like. It gives some
      indication of what our people may have lived like or been influnced
      by, a bit like lookiing at style in Argentina would give a rough
      idea of what style may be inparts of the USA - although we have to
      keep in mind that style varies within a country as well. Enough of
      that.

      On a Polish forum they published a link with costumes shown from
      1200-1795. Some of you may be interested in the nicely done,
      colored pictures.
      http://www.stankiewicz.e.pl/index.php?kat=10&sub=64

      I asked for some clarification and was told:

      "wloscianie" means "farmers",

      "chlopi" basically peasants

      "zydzi" = Jews

      these historical robes pictures were done by Jan Matejko, famous
      Polish painter:
      http://culture.polishsite.us/articles/art137.html

      frankly, I am not sure exactly what is a difference
      between "wloscianin" and Chlop" - I believe that wloscianin always
      owned some property, maybe there were even some poorer nobles among
      Wloscianin

      The fragment which goes with the article describes the robes worn by
      XVIIIth century farmers

      I will post this on Slovak Roots for those who may not read this
      forum.