Need Information

  • Carolyn Powers
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 26, 2006
      I found my grandfathers nephew in Sambron, Slovakia in 2004 and visited with them for 6 days. We did not speak the language and they did not speak English. Is anyone from Sambron or nearby the Tatras who could tell me more about the culture and the area? Also, how can I learn to speak the language basics for my next trip? I live in Indiana and have found no one to help me. I am from Fort Wayne.

    • raybravo2000
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 26, 2006
        There is an "Introduction to Slovak" links in the "Links" area on
        the left side of the homepage. On this site they have basic
        language phrases and words, but there is also a link to a CD to
        learn Slovak.

        However, Sambron is that pronounced like Shambron? And is it
        near Stara Lubovna? If so that is a Rusyn speaking area. You
        can get a book called "Lets Speak Rusyn: The Presov Edition"
        from the Carpatho-Rusyn Society:

        http://www.carpathorusynsociety.org/Catalog/books.html

        Dobru noc,
        Colin

        --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Carolyn Powers"
        <creasy49@...> wrote:

        > I found my grandfathers nephew in Sambron, Slovakia in 2004
        and visited with them for 6 days. We did not speak the language
        and they did not speak English. Is anyone from Sambron or
        nearby the Tatras who could tell me more about the culture and
        the area? Also, how can I learn to speak the language basics for
        my next trip? I live in Indiana and have found no one to help me.
        I am from Fort Wayne.

      • vchromoho
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 26, 2006
          wrote:

          > I found my grandfathers nephew in Sambron, Slovakia in 2004 and
          visited with them for 6 days. We did not speak the language

          Carolyn,
          What language?

          The native language of almost everyone in Sambron is Rusyn, as they
          are Rusyns.

          It may be difficult for you to find enough information about that
          language to learn it systematically, so I presume you would like to
          learn some Slovak. Someone else on this list could easily recommend
          information to you about that. But just FYI, Sambron, like
          neighboring Jakubany, Bajerovce, Tichy Potok, etc., are Rusyn-
          inhabited and mainly Rusyn-speaking.

          Here is a capsule history (in Slovak, unfortunately) of Sambron:
          http://kniznica.sl.sinet.sk/SLOVNIK/sambron.htm

          Bajerovce is nearby; here's a nice site about it:
          http://www.caed.kent.edu/%7Elucak/fam/
        • amiak27
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 26, 2006
            There are a fair number of us on this forum with ties to the area
            around Sambron as you have seen in the first replies. I suggest you
            search on the web for "Stara Lubovna", the regional town. Also look
            at your map for the small villages in the neighborhood of Sambron and
            read up on their histories. As you get to know your neighbors you
            will get to know yourself - the local life in the area, the values and
            the traditions that probably apply to Sambron as well as the
            neighboring villages. You are also on the border of the Spis & Saris
            counties of Old Hungary, so see where the border ran on the old maps
            at different times in history - parts of the Spis were administered by
            Poland for a long time while Saris stayed under Hungarian
            administration. My cousin from Jakubany was telling me about how
            Sambron was leveled by the nazi Germans in revenge toward the end of
            WW II, so you have a bit of history to follow up there as well, and it
            may explain why you did not see many traditional houses in the village.

            Ron

            wrote:

            > I found my grandfathers nephew in Sambron, Slovakia in 2004 and
            visited with them for 6 days. We did not speak the language and they
            did not speak English. Is anyone from Sambron or nearby the Tatras
            who could tell me more about the culture and the area? Also, how can
            I learn to speak the language basics for my next trip? I live in
            Indiana and have found no one to help me. I am from Fort Wayne.

          • J. Michutka
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 27, 2006
              At 08:28 PM 2/26/2006 -0500, you wrote:
              > Also, how can I learn to speak the language basics for my next trip? I
              > live in Indiana and have found no one to help me. I am from Fort Wayne.

              If you're looking for a book/tapes combination to learn Slovak, the best
              one is probably Colloquial Slovak, The Complete Course for Beginners by
              James Naughton, published by Routledge. I saw it in a Barnes and Noble in
              Manhattan the other day, book + tapes + CDs, apparently the same stuff on
              both the tapes and CDs (maybe they're switching to CDs, and have leftover
              tapes and are bundling them together?). Check prices various places, such
              as Amazon.com, Barnes and Noble (bn.com), and Schoenhof's Foreign Books
              (http://www.schoenhofs.com/) I don't remember the price I saw, but it
              surprised me, the price was lower than I expected.

              I have nearly every Slovak language textbook for English speakers that's
              out there, and have gone through them pretty thoroughly. Each has its
              strengths and weaknesses; this one is, in my opinion, the best one to start
              with. When you're about half way through it, is a good time to get a second
              textbook for more practice and exercises, details that one author presents
              that another doesn't, etc.

              Julie Michutka
              jmm@...
            • J. Michutka
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 27, 2006
                >Check prices various places, such
                >as Amazon.com, Barnes and Noble (bn.com), and Schoenhof's Foreign Books
                >(http://www.schoenhofs.com/)

                I forgot to mention checking with our own members who sell Slovak-related
                things--Dan Kisha (http://www.slovakic.com/), Greg Kopchak
                (www.iarelative.com), maybe Vlad Linder (I can't remember if Vlad sells
                textbooks) (www.slovakheritage.org); am I missing anyone?
              • Caye Caswick
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 28, 2006
                  I lived in Ft. Wayne for 3 years (early 1970's) --
                  love that town! Good luck learning the language and
                  happy travels, Carolyn.

                  Caye

                  --- Carolyn Powers <creasy49@...> wrote:

                  > I found my grandfathers nephew in Sambron, Slovakia
                  > in 2004 and visited with them for 6 days. We did
                  > not speak the language and they did not speak
                  > English. Is anyone from Sambron or nearby the
                  > Tatras who could tell me more about the culture and
                  > the area? Also, how can I learn to speak the
                  > language basics for my next trip? I live in Indiana
                  > and have found no one to help me. I am from Fort
                  > Wayne.

                  > removed]

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • helene cincebeaux
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 2, 2006
                    "J. Michutka" <jmm@...> wrote: At 08:28 PM 2/26/2006 -0500, you wrote:
                    > Also, how can I learn to speak the language basics for my next trip? I
                    > live in Indiana and have found no one to help me. I am from Fort Wayne.

                    A fairly simple course of phrases - book and tape so you can hear it is available from Steve Hoferka,2707 Cobden St, Pittsburgh PA 15203
                    - it used to be about $20
                    helene