Visa-free travel

  • Martin Votruba
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 2, 2006
      Citizens of the democratic countries can travel to about a half of the
      world without a visa and stay, depending on the country, for 1-3
      months (a limitation that does not apply among the members of the
      European Union, which includes Slovakia).

      Although it's not large, there is a difference between the wealthiest
      democracies and the less wealthy ones.

      According to a survey by a Swiss company released this week, the
      Finns, Danes, and Americans can visit the most countries without a
      visa: 130. Most of the wealthy democracies are very close with
      visa-free travel to 125-129 countries (120 for the Australians).

      The wealthier of the European post-communist countries, including
      Slovakia, are not far behind. Their citizens can travel to about
      85-100 countries without a visa. 97 countries do not require a visa
      from the Slovaks.

      By comparison, the Russians can travel without a visa to only 35
      countries, the Iraqis to 15. In some countries, however, people's
      real freedom to travel abroad depends on whether people are permitted
      to by their own governments. The citizens of North Korea, for
      example, don't need a visa to travel to 18 countries, but hardly
      anyone is allowed to even apply for a foreign visa.

      Martin

      votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
    • Martin Votruba
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 17 8:03 AM
        President George Bush is scheduled to make an announcement on the visa
        waiver program today (Friday, 10/17) at 11:35 AM. Slovakia and
        several other countries should be added to the visa-free travel
        program. The latest reports say that Greece has not completed
        negotiations and has been left off the list. Two of Slovakia's
        neighbors, Hungary and the Czech R., should be included, too, but not
        Poland. Austria participates in the program, Ukraine has not been
        considered so far.

        Martin
      • fbican@att.net
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 17 8:52 AM
          Martin, et.al.--

          That's quite interesting. I searched all the major networks, and none had coverage of the announcement. I guess I'll have to check the 'net web news sites later to find out. I'm quite surprised at the exclusion of Poland and Greece. I would have thought they'd have been shoo-ins, but I have no idea what politics are going on behind the scenes.

          Laskavy prosim,

          Skeeter

          -------------- Original message from "Martin Votruba" <votrubam@...>: --------------

          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 17 9:06 AM
            > the exclusion of Poland and Greece.

            Poland still has up to 25% of the visa applications rejected while the
            bill passed by Congress requires less than 10%. The Greek authorities
            apparently failed to meet some of the technical security requirements.

            Martin
          • Sam
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 17 9:11 AM
              white house news

              http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2008/10/20081017-5.html

              --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Martin Votruba" <votrubam@...>

            • fbican@att.net
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 17 9:43 AM
                Ahoj, Sam--

                Podakovanie vy for the link. That's very interesting information.

                Laskavy prosim,

                --Skeeter

                -------------- Original message from "Sam" <smontko@...>: --------------

                wrote:

                > > the exclusion of Poland and Greece.
                >
                > Poland still has up to 25% of the visa applications rejected while the
                > bill passed by Congress requires less than 10%. The Greek authorities
                > apparently failed to meet some of the technical security requirements.
                >

                > Martin

              • Ben Sorensen
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 17 11:22 AM
                  Well, ain't that perfect timing. My in-laws just got to America just in time to see that if only they had waited a week..... :-)
                  Ben

                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 18 9:31 AM
                    Folks:

                    I do not know if there was an event similar to this in Slovakia during the occupation:

                    http://www.singingrevolution.com/

                    Is there a similar film about the historical events in Slovakia?

                    I was also curious if there was anyone w/ information about any museums similar to the Museum of Communism in Prague or the Vilnus KGB museum Commemorating communism's victims that there might be in Slovakia somewhere.

                    Chuck

                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 18 10:28 AM
                      Hello everyone,

                      Does anyone know if there is a good copy of the story of "Janoshik" around
                      from some website

                      Regards,

                      John e. Polko

                      > Poland still has up to 25% of the visa applications rejected while the

                      > bill passed by Congress requires less than 10%. The Greek authorities

                      > apparently failed to meet some of the technical security requirements.

                      > Martin

                    • John Polko
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 18 11:31 AM
                        Hi All,

                        I apologize, but I'm looking for the film, not a book.

                        Thanks,

                        John e. Polko.

                        > Poland still has up to 25% of the visa applications rejected while the

                        > bill passed by Congress requires less than 10%. The Greek authorities

                        > apparently failed to meet some of the technical security requirements.

                        > Martin

                      • Martin Votruba
                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 18 12:38 PM
                          > if there is a good copy of the story of "Janoshik"
                          > I'm looking for the film, not a book.

                          The silent 1921 version + the 2-part 1962 version:

                          <http://tinyurl.com/65oj3s>

                          The 1935 version:

                          <http://tinyurl.com/5ohtse>

                          All three in Slovak with English subtitles (intertitles in 1921).

                          Bartin
                        • Ron Matviyak
                          Message 12 of 14 , Oct 18 8:40 PM
                            Budapest has a Museum of Terrorism directly related to the communist time.

                            When you speak of 'occupation' in Slovakia, please specify which you
                            are referring to. At first I expected commentary on the Nazi
                            occupation in 1944/45.

                            --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, LongJohn Wayne
                            <daxthewarrior@...> wrote:

                            > Folks:
                            >
                            > I do not know if there was an event similar to this in Slovakia
                            during the occupation:

                            > http://www.singingrevolution.com/
                            >
                            > Is there a similar film about the historical events in Slovakia?
                            >
                            > I was also curious if there was anyone w/ information about any
                            museums similar to the Museum of Communism in Prague or the Vilnus KGB
                            museum Commemorating communism's victims that there might be in
                            Slovakia somewhere.

                            > Chuck

                          • Ron Matviyak
                            Message 13 of 14 , Oct 18 8:42 PM
                              Look in your public library for the Polish series on CD/DVD. Our
                              library has three volumes.

                              Message 14 of 14 , Oct 19 5:07 AM
                                Please forgive my error.  I had meant the Soviet occupation.

                                And thank you for the information on Budapest.  I look forward to going there on my next visit.