Re: Arts statement

  • raybravo2000
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 2, 2006
      Now that YAHOO! is giving search information and probably sharing
      everything in YAHOO!Groups with NSA I just want to set the record
      straight. We are winning the war in Iraq and that President Bush is
      the most intelligent leader the US has ever had. Of course I will
      now switch politic parties to the correct and only patriotic party.

      Colin W.

      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Vlad Nad <vladnadd@...> wrote:

      > Art, you said " terrorists, murderers) in a war we are not
      winning"

      > How can you say that?? Iraq is now a country without a
      dictator who killed thosands of his own countrymen, a country that
      had its first free elections, a country where its citizens have
      more freedoms and peace of mind then they have had in their
      lifetimes. And you say we are loosing????????????? I beg to
      difffer with you on that, I am keeping this brief as not to inflame
      the political/religious Slovak purists on this list, but you did
      bring the eopic up and I am only responding to it. If you care to
      debate at length, email me privatly.

      > Art <KD7EER@...> wrote: What a shame! The American
      public on the one hand is shocked and horified
      > that their soldiers have actually hit and degraded detainees
      (insurgents,
      > terrorists, murderers) in a war we are not winning but on the
      other hand
      > enjoys seeing interrogation by real torture in movies like this
      and on so
      > many TV shows like "24", "Nikita", etc. Comeon, what's wrong
      here. I spent
      > last year working at Abu Ghraib and know that all that stuff was
      blown out
      > of proportion.
      > Art

      > Slovakia
      phone card Slovakia
      call Bratislava
      slovakia
      Hotel slovakia
      Slovakia phone
      Slovakia

      Service.

      > ---------------------------------

    • Vladimir Linder
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 2, 2006
        Please wake up.

        Vladi

        At 09:43 AM 2/2/2006, you wrote:
        >Now that YAHOO! is giving search information and probably sharing
        >everything in YAHOO!Groups with NSA I just want to set the record
        >straight. We are winning the war in Iraq and that President Bush is
        >the most intelligent leader the US has ever had. Of course I will
        >now switch politic parties to the correct and only patriotic party.
        >
        >Colin W.
        >

        >--- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Vlad Nad <vladnadd@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Art, you said " terrorists, murderers) in a war we are not
        >winning"
        > >
        > > How can you say that?? Iraq is now a country without a
        >dictator who killed thosands of his own countrymen, a country that
        >had its first free elections, a country where its citizens have
        >more freedoms and peace of mind then they have had in their
        >lifetimes. And you say we are loosing????????????? I beg to
        >difffer with you on that, I am keeping this brief as not to inflame
        >the political/religious Slovak purists on this list, but you did
        >bring the eopic up and I am only responding to it. If you care to
        >debate at length, email me privatly.
        > >

        > > Art <KD7EER@...> wrote: What a shame! The American
        >public on the one hand is shocked and horified
        > > that their soldiers have actually hit and degraded detainees
        >(insurgents,
        > > terrorists, murderers) in a war we are not winning but on the
        >other hand
        > > enjoys seeing interrogation by real torture in movies like this
        >and on so
        > > many TV shows like "24", "Nikita", etc. Comeon, what's wrong
        >here. I spent
        > > last year working at Abu Ghraib and know that all that stuff was
        >blown out
        > > of proportion.
        > > Art

        > > Slovakia
        >phone card Slovakia
        >call Bratislava
        >slovakia
        > Hotel slovakia
        >Slovakia phone
        >Slovakia

        >Service.
        > >

        > > ---------------------------------

        > *
        >

        >----------
      • Martin Votruba
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 5, 2006
          This is what today's Sunday Herald Sun (Australia) has to say about
          the film, with an encouraging opening for those concerned about
          Slovakia's image:

          "Better known to the outside world for their ice hockey players and
          stunning models, Slovaks are horror-struck that the smash-hit slasher
          film Hostel is giving them a bad name. The low-budget movie, which
          opens in Australia on February 23, made a surprise debut in the US,
          topping box office sales in early January. In the film, American
          backpackers are kidnapped, tortured and killed during a trip to the
          central European country. "It's so sad," said Alzbeta Melicharova,
          marketing head at Slovakia's state tourist board. "The events in the
          film are so absurd. They have nothing to do with reality. We are
          actually one of central Europe's safest places. It's one of our
          selling points."

          This is a capsule review of the film from the NYT:

          "Two ugly Americans rampage through Europe before finding themselves
          ensnared in an underground Slovakian snuff club. The calculated
          outrages of this brutal exploitation film prove less shocking that its
          relentless bigotry."

          Martin

          votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu