Re: [Slovak-World] Re: Film Causes the Wrong Kind of Horror in Slovakia

  • e.gernat@att.net
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 31, 2006
      THAT IS ONE SCARY MOVIE WOULD NOT RECCOMEND TO ANYONE TRAVELING THRU SLOVAKIA WITHOUT HOTEL RESERVATIONS EDIE
      From: "sandman6294" <sandman6294@...>
      > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "raybravo2000" <colinv@e...> wrote:
      > >
      > > YAHOO! has a story about the movie "Hostel" which was filmed in the
      > > Slovak Rep. (This is the shortes web address I could find.)
      > >
      > > Copy both lines and paste into your address box:
      > >

      > http://news.yahoo.com/i/757;_ylt=Aq8C3dtcDn49Bb3THqbisPas0NUE;_ylu=X3oD
      > > MTA2MnU4czRtBHNlYwNzbg--
      > >

      > http://tinyurl.com/8enht will get you there.
      >
      > RU
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Vlad Nad
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 2, 2006
        Art, you said " terrorists, murderers) in a war we are not winning"

        How can you say that?? Iraq is now a country without a dictator who killed thosands of his own countrymen, a country that had its first free elections, a country where its citizens have more freedoms and peace of mind then they have had in their lifetimes. And you say we are loosing????????????? I beg to difffer with you on that, I am keeping this brief as not to inflame the political/religious Slovak purists on this list, but you did bring the eopic up and I am only responding to it. If you care to debate at length, email me privatly.

        Art <KD7EER@...> wrote: What a shame! The American public on the one hand is shocked and horified
        that their soldiers have actually hit and degraded detainees (insurgents,
        terrorists, murderers) in a war we are not winning but on the other hand
        enjoys seeing interrogation by real torture in movies like this and on so
        many TV shows like "24", "Nikita", etc. Comeon, what's wrong here. I spent
        last year working at Abu Ghraib and know that all that stuff was blown out
        of proportion.
        Art

        ---------------------------------

      • Art
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 2, 2006
          Anyone who believes different has not been in my shoes getting mortared repeatedly, interviewed over 800 detainees last year. I was a professional soldier 28 years, prison guard 7 and state patrolman 14. I did that job in Vietnam and in the "cold war". The topic responded to was the movie "Hostel" which is what you said it is and not to be compared in any way with Gitmo and Abu Ghraib. We are not winning this war because the only ones that will win it are the Iraqi people without the help of jihadists. May Slovakia and our Slovak brothers live in peace.

          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 2, 2006
            Now that YAHOO! is giving search information and probably sharing
            everything in YAHOO!Groups with NSA I just want to set the record
            straight. We are winning the war in Iraq and that President Bush is
            the most intelligent leader the US has ever had. Of course I will
            now switch politic parties to the correct and only patriotic party.

            Colin W.

            --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Vlad Nad <vladnadd@...> wrote:

            > Art, you said " terrorists, murderers) in a war we are not
            winning"

            > How can you say that?? Iraq is now a country without a
            dictator who killed thosands of his own countrymen, a country that
            had its first free elections, a country where its citizens have
            more freedoms and peace of mind then they have had in their
            lifetimes. And you say we are loosing????????????? I beg to
            difffer with you on that, I am keeping this brief as not to inflame
            the political/religious Slovak purists on this list, but you did
            bring the eopic up and I am only responding to it. If you care to
            debate at length, email me privatly.

            > Art <KD7EER@...> wrote: What a shame! The American
            public on the one hand is shocked and horified
            > that their soldiers have actually hit and degraded detainees
            (insurgents,
            > terrorists, murderers) in a war we are not winning but on the
            other hand
            > enjoys seeing interrogation by real torture in movies like this
            and on so
            > many TV shows like "24", "Nikita", etc. Comeon, what's wrong
            here. I spent
            > last year working at Abu Ghraib and know that all that stuff was
            blown out
            > of proportion.
            > Art

            > Slovakia
            phone card Slovakia
            call Bratislava
            slovakia
            Hotel slovakia
            Slovakia phone
            Slovakia

            Service.

            > ---------------------------------

          • Vladimir Linder
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 2, 2006
              Please wake up.

              Vladi

              At 09:43 AM 2/2/2006, you wrote:
              >Now that YAHOO! is giving search information and probably sharing
              >everything in YAHOO!Groups with NSA I just want to set the record
              >straight. We are winning the war in Iraq and that President Bush is
              >the most intelligent leader the US has ever had. Of course I will
              >now switch politic parties to the correct and only patriotic party.
              >
              >Colin W.
              >

              >--- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Vlad Nad <vladnadd@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Art, you said " terrorists, murderers) in a war we are not
              >winning"
              > >
              > > How can you say that?? Iraq is now a country without a
              >dictator who killed thosands of his own countrymen, a country that
              >had its first free elections, a country where its citizens have
              >more freedoms and peace of mind then they have had in their
              >lifetimes. And you say we are loosing????????????? I beg to
              >difffer with you on that, I am keeping this brief as not to inflame
              >the political/religious Slovak purists on this list, but you did
              >bring the eopic up and I am only responding to it. If you care to
              >debate at length, email me privatly.
              > >

              > > Art <KD7EER@...> wrote: What a shame! The American
              >public on the one hand is shocked and horified
              > > that their soldiers have actually hit and degraded detainees
              >(insurgents,
              > > terrorists, murderers) in a war we are not winning but on the
              >other hand
              > > enjoys seeing interrogation by real torture in movies like this
              >and on so
              > > many TV shows like "24", "Nikita", etc. Comeon, what's wrong
              >here. I spent
              > > last year working at Abu Ghraib and know that all that stuff was
              >blown out
              > > of proportion.
              > > Art

              > > Slovakia
              >phone card Slovakia
              >call Bratislava
              >slovakia
              > Hotel slovakia
              >Slovakia phone
              >Slovakia

              >Service.
              > >

              > > ---------------------------------

              > *
              >

              >----------
            • Martin Votruba
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 5, 2006
                This is what today's Sunday Herald Sun (Australia) has to say about
                the film, with an encouraging opening for those concerned about
                Slovakia's image:

                "Better known to the outside world for their ice hockey players and
                stunning models, Slovaks are horror-struck that the smash-hit slasher
                film Hostel is giving them a bad name. The low-budget movie, which
                opens in Australia on February 23, made a surprise debut in the US,
                topping box office sales in early January. In the film, American
                backpackers are kidnapped, tortured and killed during a trip to the
                central European country. "It's so sad," said Alzbeta Melicharova,
                marketing head at Slovakia's state tourist board. "The events in the
                film are so absurd. They have nothing to do with reality. We are
                actually one of central Europe's safest places. It's one of our
                selling points."

                This is a capsule review of the film from the NYT:

                "Two ugly Americans rampage through Europe before finding themselves
                ensnared in an underground Slovakian snuff club. The calculated
                outrages of this brutal exploitation film prove less shocking that its
                relentless bigotry."

                Martin

                votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu