Film Causes the Wrong Kind of Horror in Slovakia

  • raybravo2000
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 31, 2006
      YAHOO! has a story about the movie "Hostel" which was filmed in the
      Slovak Rep. (This is the shortes web address I could find.)

      Copy both lines and paste into your address box:

      http://news.yahoo.com/i/757;_ylt=Aq8C3dtcDn49Bb3THqbisPas0NUE;_ylu=X3oD
      MTA2MnU4czRtBHNlYwNzbg--
    • Martin Votruba
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 31, 2006
        > the movie "Hostel" which was filmed in the Slovak Rep.

        The story is supposed to take place in Slovakia, Colin, but it was
        actually filmed on location in the Czech R., as was "Eurotrip," which
        also had some quite negative images apparently located in Slovakia,
        but filmed in the Czech R. And, third time's a charm, the central
        villain, a Czech, in the 2001 US movie "15 Minutes," is played by a
        Czech actor and portrayed as having come from a criminal organization
        in Prague, but his name is -- what are the chances? -- Emil Slovak.

        Martin

        votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
      • Art
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 31, 2006
          What a shame! The American public on the one hand is shocked and horified
          that their soldiers have actually hit and degraded detainees (insurgents,
          terrorists, murderers) in a war we are not winning but on the other hand
          enjoys seeing interrogation by real torture in movies like this and on so
          many TV shows like "24", "Nikita", etc. Comeon, what's wrong here. I spent
          last year working at Abu Ghraib and know that all that stuff was blown out
          of proportion.
          Art
        • Paul Wolsko
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 31, 2006
            Art,

            Hey, all news events are spun and usually blown out of proportion.
            "Fair and balanced" reporting does not exist.

            Paul
            KC2FNC

            Art wrote:

            >What a shame! The American public on the one hand is shocked and horified
            >that their soldiers have actually hit and degraded detainees (insurgents,
            >terrorists, murderers) in a war we are not winning but on the other hand
            >enjoys seeing interrogation by real torture in movies like this and on so
            >many TV shows like "24", "Nikita", etc. Comeon, what's wrong here. I spent
            >last year working at Abu Ghraib and know that all that stuff was blown out
            >of proportion.
            >Art
            >

            >Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Don Havlicek
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 31, 2006
              Except when we are able to see both/all sides of an issue.

              Don
              N8DE

              Paul Wolsko wrote:
              > Art,
              >
              > Hey, all news events are spun and usually blown out of proportion.
              > "Fair and balanced" reporting does not exist.
              >
              > Paul
              > KC2FNC
              >

              > Art wrote:
              >

              >>What a shame! The American public on the one hand is shocked and horified
              >>that their soldiers have actually hit and degraded detainees (insurgents,
              >>terrorists, murderers) in a war we are not winning but on the other hand
              >>enjoys seeing interrogation by real torture in movies like this and on so
              >>many TV shows like "24", "Nikita", etc. Comeon, what's wrong here. I spent
              >>last year working at Abu Ghraib and know that all that stuff was blown out
              >>of proportion.
              >>Art
              >>

              >>Yahoo! Groups Links

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • sandman6294
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 31, 2006
                --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "raybravo2000" <colinv@e...> wrote:

                > YAHOO! has a story about the movie "Hostel" which was filmed in the
                > Slovak Rep. (This is the shortes web address I could find.)
                >
                > Copy both lines and paste into your address box:

                http://news.yahoo.com/i/757;_ylt=Aq8C3dtcDn49Bb3THqbisPas0NUE;_ylu=X3oD
                > MTA2MnU4czRtBHNlYwNzbg--

                http://tinyurl.com/8enht will get you there.

                RU
              • e.gernat@att.net
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 31, 2006
                  THAT IS ONE SCARY MOVIE WOULD NOT RECCOMEND TO ANYONE TRAVELING THRU SLOVAKIA WITHOUT HOTEL RESERVATIONS EDIE
                  From: "sandman6294" <sandman6294@...>
                  > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "raybravo2000" <colinv@e...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > YAHOO! has a story about the movie "Hostel" which was filmed in the
                  > > Slovak Rep. (This is the shortes web address I could find.)
                  > >
                  > > Copy both lines and paste into your address box:
                  > >

                  > http://news.yahoo.com/i/757;_ylt=Aq8C3dtcDn49Bb3THqbisPas0NUE;_ylu=X3oD
                  > > MTA2MnU4czRtBHNlYwNzbg--
                  > >

                  > http://tinyurl.com/8enht will get you there.
                  >
                  > RU
                  >

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Vlad Nad
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 2, 2006
                    Art, you said " terrorists, murderers) in a war we are not winning"

                    How can you say that?? Iraq is now a country without a dictator who killed thosands of his own countrymen, a country that had its first free elections, a country where its citizens have more freedoms and peace of mind then they have had in their lifetimes. And you say we are loosing????????????? I beg to difffer with you on that, I am keeping this brief as not to inflame the political/religious Slovak purists on this list, but you did bring the eopic up and I am only responding to it. If you care to debate at length, email me privatly.

                    Art <KD7EER@...> wrote: What a shame! The American public on the one hand is shocked and horified
                    that their soldiers have actually hit and degraded detainees (insurgents,
                    terrorists, murderers) in a war we are not winning but on the other hand
                    enjoys seeing interrogation by real torture in movies like this and on so
                    many TV shows like "24", "Nikita", etc. Comeon, what's wrong here. I spent
                    last year working at Abu Ghraib and know that all that stuff was blown out
                    of proportion.
                    Art

                    ---------------------------------

                  • Art
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 2, 2006
                      Anyone who believes different has not been in my shoes getting mortared repeatedly, interviewed over 800 detainees last year. I was a professional soldier 28 years, prison guard 7 and state patrolman 14. I did that job in Vietnam and in the "cold war". The topic responded to was the movie "Hostel" which is what you said it is and not to be compared in any way with Gitmo and Abu Ghraib. We are not winning this war because the only ones that will win it are the Iraqi people without the help of jihadists. May Slovakia and our Slovak brothers live in peace.

                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 2, 2006
                        Now that YAHOO! is giving search information and probably sharing
                        everything in YAHOO!Groups with NSA I just want to set the record
                        straight. We are winning the war in Iraq and that President Bush is
                        the most intelligent leader the US has ever had. Of course I will
                        now switch politic parties to the correct and only patriotic party.

                        Colin W.

                        --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Vlad Nad <vladnadd@...> wrote:

                        > Art, you said " terrorists, murderers) in a war we are not
                        winning"

                        > How can you say that?? Iraq is now a country without a
                        dictator who killed thosands of his own countrymen, a country that
                        had its first free elections, a country where its citizens have
                        more freedoms and peace of mind then they have had in their
                        lifetimes. And you say we are loosing????????????? I beg to
                        difffer with you on that, I am keeping this brief as not to inflame
                        the political/religious Slovak purists on this list, but you did
                        bring the eopic up and I am only responding to it. If you care to
                        debate at length, email me privatly.

                        > Art <KD7EER@...> wrote: What a shame! The American
                        public on the one hand is shocked and horified
                        > that their soldiers have actually hit and degraded detainees
                        (insurgents,
                        > terrorists, murderers) in a war we are not winning but on the
                        other hand
                        > enjoys seeing interrogation by real torture in movies like this
                        and on so
                        > many TV shows like "24", "Nikita", etc. Comeon, what's wrong
                        here. I spent
                        > last year working at Abu Ghraib and know that all that stuff was
                        blown out
                        > of proportion.
                        > Art

                        > Slovakia
                        phone card Slovakia
                        call Bratislava
                        slovakia
                        Hotel slovakia
                        Slovakia phone
                        Slovakia

                        Service.

                        > ---------------------------------

                      • Vladimir Linder
                        Message 11 of 12 , Feb 2, 2006
                          Please wake up.

                          Vladi

                          At 09:43 AM 2/2/2006, you wrote:
                          >Now that YAHOO! is giving search information and probably sharing
                          >everything in YAHOO!Groups with NSA I just want to set the record
                          >straight. We are winning the war in Iraq and that President Bush is
                          >the most intelligent leader the US has ever had. Of course I will
                          >now switch politic parties to the correct and only patriotic party.
                          >
                          >Colin W.
                          >

                          >--- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Vlad Nad <vladnadd@...> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Art, you said " terrorists, murderers) in a war we are not
                          >winning"
                          > >
                          > > How can you say that?? Iraq is now a country without a
                          >dictator who killed thosands of his own countrymen, a country that
                          >had its first free elections, a country where its citizens have
                          >more freedoms and peace of mind then they have had in their
                          >lifetimes. And you say we are loosing????????????? I beg to
                          >difffer with you on that, I am keeping this brief as not to inflame
                          >the political/religious Slovak purists on this list, but you did
                          >bring the eopic up and I am only responding to it. If you care to
                          >debate at length, email me privatly.
                          > >

                          > > Art <KD7EER@...> wrote: What a shame! The American
                          >public on the one hand is shocked and horified
                          > > that their soldiers have actually hit and degraded detainees
                          >(insurgents,
                          > > terrorists, murderers) in a war we are not winning but on the
                          >other hand
                          > > enjoys seeing interrogation by real torture in movies like this
                          >and on so
                          > > many TV shows like "24", "Nikita", etc. Comeon, what's wrong
                          >here. I spent
                          > > last year working at Abu Ghraib and know that all that stuff was
                          >blown out
                          > > of proportion.
                          > > Art

                          > > Slovakia
                          >phone card Slovakia
                          >call Bratislava
                          >slovakia
                          > Hotel slovakia
                          >Slovakia phone
                          >Slovakia

                          >Service.
                          > >

                          > > ---------------------------------

                          > *
                          >

                          >----------
                        • Martin Votruba
                          Message 12 of 12 , Feb 5, 2006
                            This is what today's Sunday Herald Sun (Australia) has to say about
                            the film, with an encouraging opening for those concerned about
                            Slovakia's image:

                            "Better known to the outside world for their ice hockey players and
                            stunning models, Slovaks are horror-struck that the smash-hit slasher
                            film Hostel is giving them a bad name. The low-budget movie, which
                            opens in Australia on February 23, made a surprise debut in the US,
                            topping box office sales in early January. In the film, American
                            backpackers are kidnapped, tortured and killed during a trip to the
                            central European country. "It's so sad," said Alzbeta Melicharova,
                            marketing head at Slovakia's state tourist board. "The events in the
                            film are so absurd. They have nothing to do with reality. We are
                            actually one of central Europe's safest places. It's one of our
                            selling points."

                            This is a capsule review of the film from the NYT:

                            "Two ugly Americans rampage through Europe before finding themselves
                            ensnared in an underground Slovakian snuff club. The calculated
                            outrages of this brutal exploitation film prove less shocking that its
                            relentless bigotry."

                            Martin

                            votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu