Re: [Slovak-World] And now for something completely different

  • J. Michutka
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 30, 2006
      At 04:46 PM 1/30/2006 -0800, you wrote:
      >This is almost what my mother called it - "sherbel" or "sherblik" which of
      >course is derived from the Austro-german word "Scherbl" or "Scherben" for
      >ceramic containers.

      That makes sense.....it's not the first time that my siblings and I (or
      perhaps it was my dad's generation?) heard the Slovak /r/ and thought it
      was a /d/. Thanks!

      Julie
    • Paul Wolsko
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 30, 2006
        You are referring to the "Turkish Toilet", where a person would suspend
        one's nether region o'er a hole in the floor whilst hanging onto a rope.
        The object of the game was to put the bomb on target, like 500 pounders
        over Penemunde.

        Paul

        Art wrote:

        >I will keep my contributions strictly to Slovensko: Does anyone who actuall
        >grew up or lived in Slovakia know what kind of toilets they had there in the
        >old days? Were they sort of holes in the floor like in some other parts of
        >Europe and the Middle east?
        >Art
        >

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Vladimir Linder
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 30, 2006
          Never in Slovakia.

          Vladi

          At 04:21 PM 1/30/2006, you wrote:
          >I will keep my contributions strictly to Slovensko: Does anyone who actuall
          >grew up or lived in Slovakia know what kind of toilets they had there in the
          >old days? Were they sort of holes in the floor like in some other parts of
          >Europe and the Middle east?
          >Art

          > *
          >

          >----------
        • Vladimir Linder
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 30, 2006
            SERBEL or SERBLIK

            Vladi

            At 04:32 PM 1/30/2006, you wrote:
            >At 04:21 PM 1/30/2006 -0800, you wrote:
            > >I will keep my contributions strictly to Slovensko: Does anyone who actuall
            > >grew up or lived in Slovakia know what kind of toilets they had there in the
            > >old days? Were they sort of holes in the floor like in some other parts of
            > >Europe and the Middle east?
            >
            >I don't know about that; but I know that my dad grew up (immigrant parents)
            >calling the under-bed chamber pot a "shedebell" (three syllables--my
            >phonetic rendition). Perhaps Martin or one of the Vladimirs can tell us
            >what the actual spelling was, and whether it was a common term.
            >
            >Julie Michutka
            >jmm@...

            >phone card
            ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Slovakia+call&w1=Slovakia+phone+card&w2=Slovakia+call&w3=Bratislava+slovakia&w4=Hotel+slovakia&w5=Slovakia+phone&w6=Slovakia&c=6&s=123&.sig=chO1bkXch07FfvTG3Hly7Q>Slovakia
            >call
            ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Bratislava+slovakia&w1=Slovakia+phone+card&w2=Slovakia+call&w3=Bratislava+slovakia&w4=Hotel+slovakia&w5=Slovakia+phone&w6=Slovakia&c=6&s=123&.sig=xXIK730FZxwfPZh6C_b8cg>Bratislava
            >slovakia
            ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Hotel+slovakia&w1=Slovakia+phone+card&w2=Slovakia+call&w3=Bratislava+slovakia&w4=Hotel+slovakia&w5=Slovakia+phone&w6=Slovakia&c=6&s=123&.sig=ZZfegUggrbhmbRi57TfUbw>Hotel
            >slovakia
            ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Slovakia+phone&w1=Slovakia+phone+card&w2=Slovakia+call&w3=Bratislava+slovakia&w4=Hotel+slovakia&w5=Slovakia+phone&w6=Slovakia&c=6&s=123&.sig=D2lrJO4Qgv1x0Xnpgi7-DA>Slovakia
            >phone
            ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Slovakia&w1=Slovakia+phone+card&w2=Slovakia+call&w3=Bratislava+slovakia&w4=Hotel+slovakia&w5=Slovakia+phone&w6=Slovakia&c=6&s=123&.sig=OIcMxojXFaOt3ZQvYvdIvQ>Slovakia

            > *
            >

            >----------
          • Vlad Nad
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 31, 2006
              Way to go Art!

              Get the topic off religion and into bodily functions, thats a much better topic:-)

              Art <KD7EER@...> wrote: I will keep my contributions strictly to Slovensko: Does anyone who actuall
              grew up or lived in Slovakia know what kind of toilets they had there in the
              old days? Were they sort of holes in the floor like in some other parts of
              Europe and the Middle east?
              Art

              ---------------------------------

            • Vlad Nad
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 31, 2006
                Oh God! (sorry about the religious comment there) Only you Paul would come up with that!!!!!!!!!!!!

                Paul Wolsko <pwolsko@...> wrote: You are referring to the "Turkish Toilet", where a person would suspend

                Art wrote:

                >I will keep my contributions strictly to Slovensko: Does anyone who actuall
                >grew up or lived in Slovakia know what kind of toilets they had there in the
                >old days? Were they sort of holes in the floor like in some other parts of
                >Europe and the Middle east?
                >Art
                >

                >Yahoo! Groups Links

              • William F Brna
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 31, 2006
                  This hardly qualifies as "the old days" but a distant relative of mine
                  still uses the equivalent of the old style toilets that were used in this
                  country until recently (a hole in a board above a hole in the ground, an
                  outhouse) even though there is modern plumbing in the house. The toilet
                  is located in an outbuilding which is also a garage.

                  William F. Brna