And now for something completely different

  • Paul Wolsko
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 30, 2006
    • Art
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 30, 2006
        I will keep my contributions strictly to Slovensko: Does anyone who actuall
        grew up or lived in Slovakia know what kind of toilets they had there in the
        old days? Were they sort of holes in the floor like in some other parts of
        Europe and the Middle east?
        Art
      • J. Michutka
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 30, 2006
          At 04:21 PM 1/30/2006 -0800, you wrote:
          >I will keep my contributions strictly to Slovensko: Does anyone who actuall
          >grew up or lived in Slovakia know what kind of toilets they had there in the
          >old days? Were they sort of holes in the floor like in some other parts of
          >Europe and the Middle east?

          I don't know about that; but I know that my dad grew up (immigrant parents)
          calling the under-bed chamber pot a "shedebell" (three syllables--my
          phonetic rendition). Perhaps Martin or one of the Vladimirs can tell us
          what the actual spelling was, and whether it was a common term.

          Julie Michutka
          jmm@...
        • Art
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 30, 2006
            This is almost what my mother called it - "sherbel" or "sherblik" which of
            course is derived from the Austro-german word "Scherbl" or "Scherben" for
            ceramic containers.
            Art

            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 30, 2006
              At 04:46 PM 1/30/2006 -0800, you wrote:
              >This is almost what my mother called it - "sherbel" or "sherblik" which of
              >course is derived from the Austro-german word "Scherbl" or "Scherben" for
              >ceramic containers.

              That makes sense.....it's not the first time that my siblings and I (or
              perhaps it was my dad's generation?) heard the Slovak /r/ and thought it
              was a /d/. Thanks!

              Julie
            • Paul Wolsko
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 30, 2006
                You are referring to the "Turkish Toilet", where a person would suspend
                one's nether region o'er a hole in the floor whilst hanging onto a rope.
                The object of the game was to put the bomb on target, like 500 pounders
                over Penemunde.

                Paul

                Art wrote:

                >I will keep my contributions strictly to Slovensko: Does anyone who actuall
                >grew up or lived in Slovakia know what kind of toilets they had there in the
                >old days? Were they sort of holes in the floor like in some other parts of
                >Europe and the Middle east?
                >Art
                >

                >Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Vladimir Linder
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 30, 2006
                  Never in Slovakia.

                  Vladi

                  At 04:21 PM 1/30/2006, you wrote:
                  >I will keep my contributions strictly to Slovensko: Does anyone who actuall
                  >grew up or lived in Slovakia know what kind of toilets they had there in the
                  >old days? Were they sort of holes in the floor like in some other parts of
                  >Europe and the Middle east?
                  >Art

                  > *
                  >

                  >----------
                • Vladimir Linder
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 30, 2006
                    SERBEL or SERBLIK

                    Vladi

                    At 04:32 PM 1/30/2006, you wrote:
                    >At 04:21 PM 1/30/2006 -0800, you wrote:
                    > >I will keep my contributions strictly to Slovensko: Does anyone who actuall
                    > >grew up or lived in Slovakia know what kind of toilets they had there in the
                    > >old days? Were they sort of holes in the floor like in some other parts of
                    > >Europe and the Middle east?
                    >
                    >I don't know about that; but I know that my dad grew up (immigrant parents)
                    >calling the under-bed chamber pot a "shedebell" (three syllables--my
                    >phonetic rendition). Perhaps Martin or one of the Vladimirs can tell us
                    >what the actual spelling was, and whether it was a common term.
                    >
                    >Julie Michutka
                    >jmm@...

                    >phone card
                    ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Slovakia+call&w1=Slovakia+phone+card&w2=Slovakia+call&w3=Bratislava+slovakia&w4=Hotel+slovakia&w5=Slovakia+phone&w6=Slovakia&c=6&s=123&.sig=chO1bkXch07FfvTG3Hly7Q>Slovakia
                    >call
                    ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Bratislava+slovakia&w1=Slovakia+phone+card&w2=Slovakia+call&w3=Bratislava+slovakia&w4=Hotel+slovakia&w5=Slovakia+phone&w6=Slovakia&c=6&s=123&.sig=xXIK730FZxwfPZh6C_b8cg>Bratislava
                    >slovakia
                    ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Hotel+slovakia&w1=Slovakia+phone+card&w2=Slovakia+call&w3=Bratislava+slovakia&w4=Hotel+slovakia&w5=Slovakia+phone&w6=Slovakia&c=6&s=123&.sig=ZZfegUggrbhmbRi57TfUbw>Hotel
                    >slovakia
                    ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Slovakia+phone&w1=Slovakia+phone+card&w2=Slovakia+call&w3=Bratislava+slovakia&w4=Hotel+slovakia&w5=Slovakia+phone&w6=Slovakia&c=6&s=123&.sig=D2lrJO4Qgv1x0Xnpgi7-DA>Slovakia
                    >phone
                    ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Slovakia&w1=Slovakia+phone+card&w2=Slovakia+call&w3=Bratislava+slovakia&w4=Hotel+slovakia&w5=Slovakia+phone&w6=Slovakia&c=6&s=123&.sig=OIcMxojXFaOt3ZQvYvdIvQ>Slovakia

                    > *
                    >

                    >----------
                  • Vlad Nad
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 31, 2006
                      Way to go Art!

                      Get the topic off religion and into bodily functions, thats a much better topic:-)

                      Art <KD7EER@...> wrote: I will keep my contributions strictly to Slovensko: Does anyone who actuall
                      grew up or lived in Slovakia know what kind of toilets they had there in the
                      old days? Were they sort of holes in the floor like in some other parts of
                      Europe and the Middle east?
                      Art

                      ---------------------------------

                    • Vlad Nad
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 31, 2006
                        Oh God! (sorry about the religious comment there) Only you Paul would come up with that!!!!!!!!!!!!

                        Paul Wolsko <pwolsko@...> wrote: You are referring to the "Turkish Toilet", where a person would suspend

                        Art wrote:

                        >I will keep my contributions strictly to Slovensko: Does anyone who actuall
                        >grew up or lived in Slovakia know what kind of toilets they had there in the
                        >old days? Were they sort of holes in the floor like in some other parts of
                        >Europe and the Middle east?
                        >Art
                        >

                        >Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • William F Brna
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 31, 2006
                          This hardly qualifies as "the old days" but a distant relative of mine
                          still uses the equivalent of the old style toilets that were used in this
                          country until recently (a hole in a board above a hole in the ground, an
                          outhouse) even though there is modern plumbing in the house. The toilet
                          is located in an outbuilding which is also a garage.

                          William F. Brna