Re: Looming natural gas crisis?

  • Martin Votruba
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 5, 2006
      Two comments from Slovak newspapers on the country's natural gas
      supplies (about 95% comes from Russia via Ukraine):

      Pravda (centre-left):

      "[Russian President] Putin has become convinced of his own
      invincibility. [...] The gas dispute has confirmed Russia's failure in
      its endeavour to transform itself from a sponsor of dictatorships in
      the [ex-Soviet countries] into an attractive economic partner, readily
      respected as a guarantor of security and prosperity in the region.
      [...] It has maintained its dominance only by using blackmail and
      fear. [...] The gas crisis is a warning signal to the European Union.
      [...] Europe seems to have only now realized how easily Moscow can
      influence internal political developments not just in Ukraine but also
      outside the former Soviet bloc. [...] As a small state, it is in
      Slovakia's interest to advocate support for Ukraine within the EU, if
      only because of our dear-bought experience with Hitler's Germany and
      the Soviet Union."

      Sme (centre-right):

      "Today, Slovakia is just as dependent as before on the whims of a
      superpower that uses energy prices as a foreign policy instrument.
      [...] [No amount of social and economic reforms, no amount of
      financial support from the European Union] will help us at all if the
      pressure in the gas pipeline from Russia really drops to zero one day.
      [...] Our government should finally let us know now, after a decade,
      when it will start negotiations about a partial switch to Norwegian
      gas -- using, for example, the new Baltic terminal whose speedy
      construction has just been announced by Polish Premier Marcinkiewicz."

      Martin

      votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
    • Vladimir Bohinc
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 6, 2006
        When I came to Slovakia 11 years ago I was surprised byt the campaign "Gas to every village, every household!" All roads in villages are ruined because of gas pipe laying.
        Red gas? I knew it was a trap.
        Vladimir

[...]

        http://www.eset.sk

      • Vladimir Linder
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 6, 2006
          What are you talking about? You aren't even a Slovak at all!! You
          have no CLUE. Look at the villages now. Yes they put in pipes and
          covered it and now there are sidewalks in the villages when they had
          non before, they have grass all over. 11 years ago nobody could
          predict the future of gas prices. Gas is environmentally more
          friendly than burning WOOD.

          Suggest you go home where you came from and look at your country
          former Yugoslavia now, or go to Poland and you will see what are
          ruined roads. I been there month ago.

          So please if you have nothing nice to say........

          The Russians without the sales of the gas and energy to the west
          can't put it on the table and eat it either.

          Vladi

        • Herron Jamie
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 6, 2006
            Does anyone know how I can be removed from this group. I have made numerous requests, to no avail. Please help.

            At 12:05 AM 1/6/2006, you wrote:
            >When I came to Slovakia 11 years ago I was surprised byt the
            >campaign "Gas to every village, every household!" All roads in
            >villages are ruined because of gas pipe laying.
            >Red gas? I knew it was a trap.
            >Vladimir

            _____

            If you are not the intended recipient please notify us immediately by returning the e-mail to the originator.(16b)

          • Nick Holcz
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 6, 2006
              At 04:15 PM 6/01/2006, you wrote:
              >What are you talking about? You aren't even a Slovak at all!!

              Very nice post. Congratulations.NOT

              Nick
            • Andrea Vangor
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 6, 2006
                I think you have to go to the Yahoo site where you originally signed up.

                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 6, 2006
                  Try sending a blank email to Slovak-World-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

                  Joe

                  At 12:05 AM 1/6/2006, you wrote:
                  >When I came to Slovakia 11 years ago I was surprised byt the
                  >campaign "Gas to every village, every household!" All roads in
                  >villages are ruined because of gas pipe laying.
                  >Red gas? I knew it was a trap.
                  >Vladimir

                • Dr. Joe Q
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 6, 2006
                    Look at the bottom of any post you see:

                    * To unsubscribe from this group, send an email
                    to:
                    *
                    mailto: Slovak-World-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
                    subject=Unsubscribe