Re: [Slovak-World] language issue?

  • Nick Holcz
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 5, 2006
      You must have been unlucky? I dealt with the Slovak embassy in
      Australia and apart from having difficulty explaining what I wanted I
      was dealt with very nicely. Maybe I was lucky?

      I don't always do that well with our government departments.

      Nick

      At 11:55 PM 5/01/2006, you wrote:
      >Yes Maa'm, it is getting worse and worse.
      >Bureaucracy never understood that they should serve us.
      >This reminds me of a letter of a small clovak village community to
      >the Landlord, which starts and ends with ;" We are kissing your
      >hands and feet...." This is what they expect from us now too.
      >Vladimir
      >
      >Of course not All, but way too many.

    • Michelle A Mader
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 5, 2006
        Nick wrote:
        >You must have been unlucky? I dealt with the Slovak embassy in
        >Australia and apart from having difficulty explaining what I wanted I
        >was dealt with very nicely. Maybe I was lucky?
        >
        >I don't always do that well with our government departments.

        It's the embassies in the US. My husband had a dreadful time
        last year dealing with the German embassy in Chicago. He even
        had to drive there a couple of time. They seemed astounded that
        he, a German citizen, actually spoke German. This is despite
        the fact that their website only give the information for German
        citizens in German.

        Michelle Mader
        Mom to Katherine 11/82 & Andrea 1/87
      • Scott T. Mikusko
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 5, 2006
          heh, nice.

          It's the classic Central/Eastern European "service with a scowl". When I
          want that here, I go to the local Russian restaurant. :)

          -S

        • krejc@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 5, 2006
            the Slovak Embassy is open precious few hours during the day. maybe
            something like from 10am to noon.
            i went to the Slovak Embassy in New York some years ago and was treated very
            well. given much literature on my grandmother's county of origin. you must
            ask for Ivan Surkos. he is the Diplomat there and will help you.
            noreen