RE: [Slovak-World] language issue?

  • Katarina Alexander
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 5 7:59 AM
      Thanks for the feedback, it was kind of stressful.
      And I thought New Yorker's are rude!!

      Funny thing - my aunt has been staying w/me & my husband since October,
      she is from Banska Bystricia and does not speak any English. She has
      told me on a few occasions how nice she finds people in our neighborhood
      (Queens, New York) - so much nicer than in Slovakia.

      Katarina Alexander

      Assistant to Jack DiMaio
      DiMaio Ahmad Capital
      245 Park Avenue, 44th Floor
      NY, NY 10167
      t: (212) 328-7920
      f: (212) 328-7890
      katarina.alexander@...

      ________________________________

      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 5 8:11 AM
        You must have been unlucky? I dealt with the Slovak embassy in
        Australia and apart from having difficulty explaining what I wanted I
        was dealt with very nicely. Maybe I was lucky?

        I don't always do that well with our government departments.

        Nick

        At 11:55 PM 5/01/2006, you wrote:
        >Yes Maa'm, it is getting worse and worse.
        >Bureaucracy never understood that they should serve us.
        >This reminds me of a letter of a small clovak village community to
        >the Landlord, which starts and ends with ;" We are kissing your
        >hands and feet...." This is what they expect from us now too.
        >Vladimir
        >
        >Of course not All, but way too many.

      • Michelle A Mader
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 5 9:05 AM
          Nick wrote:
          >You must have been unlucky? I dealt with the Slovak embassy in
          >Australia and apart from having difficulty explaining what I wanted I
          >was dealt with very nicely. Maybe I was lucky?
          >
          >I don't always do that well with our government departments.

          It's the embassies in the US. My husband had a dreadful time
          last year dealing with the German embassy in Chicago. He even
          had to drive there a couple of time. They seemed astounded that
          he, a German citizen, actually spoke German. This is despite
          the fact that their website only give the information for German
          citizens in German.

          Michelle Mader
          Mom to Katherine 11/82 & Andrea 1/87
        • Scott T. Mikusko
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 5 9:54 AM
            heh, nice.

            It's the classic Central/Eastern European "service with a scowl". When I
            want that here, I go to the local Russian restaurant. :)

            -S

          • krejc@aol.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 5 4:47 PM
              the Slovak Embassy is open precious few hours during the day. maybe
              something like from 10am to noon.
              i went to the Slovak Embassy in New York some years ago and was treated very
              well. given much literature on my grandmother's county of origin. you must
              ask for Ivan Surkos. he is the Diplomat there and will help you.
              noreen