Re: [Slovak-World] villages

  • Matchett
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 4, 2006
      Helen, Thanks for your reply. There's a good chance it wasn't
      transcribed correctly. I thought the names strange as well but thought
      just maybe they might have been authentic. Julia Matchett

      > There's the village of Pl'as~t'ovce, formerly Plast, Palasth,
      > Plassovce, and Palast (in Hungarian), among other variants, but it's
      > in western Slovakia, near Levice. "Plashchcz" isn't written in
      > Hungarian orthography, so maybe this is Ukrainian (although the "ch"
      > and "cz" seem to represent the same sound)????? Any chance it wasn't
      > transcribed correctly from the document?
      >
      > I can't find the 2nd name as such, but there is a Koc~ovce (Hungarian:
      > Kocsoc). The name of a male resident of that village is
      > "Koc~ovc~an". Unfortunately, it's located near Trencin, in the west.
      > There's also Koc~in (its resident being: Koc~inc~an), but that's near
      > Trnava.
      >
      > Sorry,
      >>>>

      > A friend just learned the names of villages where her maternal
      > grandmother had lived in the Zemplin area. The village names are
      > Plashchcz and Koczand. I assume these are Hungarian names. Does
      > anyone know the Slovak names of these villages?
      > Her grandmother's name was Olexa or Oleksza.
      > Her computer is not working and she asked for my help in this.
      > Julia Matchett
    • J. Michutka
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 5, 2006
        At 12:25 AM 1/4/2006 +0000, you wrote:
        > > preposition and case to use if I want to say
        > > 'thank you FOR ...' -- d'akujem ZA ...?
        >
        >Yes, Anabeth. The equivalents of _for_ are quite messy, but there's a
        >good underlying rule in this instance.

        Thank you for this Martin, once again you explain things so well!

        Julie Michutka
        jmm@...
      • BJLK@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 5, 2006
          In a message dated 1/3/2006 3:17:31 P.M. Central Standard Time,
          chuckvrshek@... writes:

          What's the Slovak word for 'ornament,' as in ornament on a Christmas tree?

          How about "ozdobka" (with a circumflex over the second 'o')?