villages

  • Matchett
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 3, 2006
      A friend just learned the names of villages where her maternal
      grandmother had lived in the Zemplin area. The village names are
      Plashchcz and Koczand. I assume these are Hungarian names. Does
      anyone know the Slovak names of these villages?

      Her grandmother's name was Olexa or Oleksza.

      Her computer is not working and she asked for my help in this.

      Julia Matchett
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 4, 2006
        There's the village of Pl'as~t'ovce, formerly Plast, Palasth, Plassovce, and Palast (in Hungarian), among other variants, but it's in western Slovakia, near Levice. "Plashchcz" isn't written in Hungarian orthography, so maybe this is Ukrainian (although the "ch" and "cz" seem to represent the same sound)????? Any chance it wasn't transcribed correctly from the document?

        I can't find the 2nd name as such, but there is a Koc~ovce (Hungarian: Kocsoc). The name of a male resident of that village is "Koc~ovc~an". Unfortunately, it's located near Trencin, in the west. There's also Koc~in (its resident being: Koc~inc~an), but that's near Trnava.

        Sorry,

        >>> wmatchett@... 01/03/06 8:28 PM >>>

        A friend just learned the names of villages where her maternal
        grandmother had lived in the Zemplin area. The village names are
        Plashchcz and Koczand. I assume these are Hungarian names. Does
        anyone know the Slovak names of these villages?

        Her grandmother's name was Olexa or Oleksza.

        Her computer is not working and she asked for my help in this.

        Julia Matchett

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      • Matchett
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 4, 2006
          Helen, Thanks for your reply. There's a good chance it wasn't
          transcribed correctly. I thought the names strange as well but thought
          just maybe they might have been authentic. Julia Matchett

          > There's the village of Pl'as~t'ovce, formerly Plast, Palasth,
          > Plassovce, and Palast (in Hungarian), among other variants, but it's
          > in western Slovakia, near Levice. "Plashchcz" isn't written in
          > Hungarian orthography, so maybe this is Ukrainian (although the "ch"
          > and "cz" seem to represent the same sound)????? Any chance it wasn't
          > transcribed correctly from the document?
          >
          > I can't find the 2nd name as such, but there is a Koc~ovce (Hungarian:
          > Kocsoc). The name of a male resident of that village is
          > "Koc~ovc~an". Unfortunately, it's located near Trencin, in the west.
          > There's also Koc~in (its resident being: Koc~inc~an), but that's near
          > Trnava.
          >
          > Sorry,
          >>>>

          > A friend just learned the names of villages where her maternal
          > grandmother had lived in the Zemplin area. The village names are
          > Plashchcz and Koczand. I assume these are Hungarian names. Does
          > anyone know the Slovak names of these villages?
          > Her grandmother's name was Olexa or Oleksza.
          > Her computer is not working and she asked for my help in this.
          > Julia Matchett
        • J. Michutka
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 5, 2006
            At 12:25 AM 1/4/2006 +0000, you wrote:
            > > preposition and case to use if I want to say
            > > 'thank you FOR ...' -- d'akujem ZA ...?
            >
            >Yes, Anabeth. The equivalents of _for_ are quite messy, but there's a
            >good underlying rule in this instance.

            Thank you for this Martin, once again you explain things so well!

            Julie Michutka
            jmm@...
          • BJLK@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 5, 2006
              In a message dated 1/3/2006 3:17:31 P.M. Central Standard Time,
              chuckvrshek@... writes:

              What's the Slovak word for 'ornament,' as in ornament on a Christmas tree?

              How about "ozdobka" (with a circumflex over the second 'o')?