Superstitions

  • Marlene Norton
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 25, 2005
      I didn't know why but I know we were never allowed to give a knife as a gift. Also, if we gave a purse or a wallet we had to put in a coin. But why did we always crush eggshells before we threw them away? To this day -- and I'm in my 70's -- I cannot toss a eggshell in the garbage without crushing it. My sister is the same but we don't know why. My husband now does it because he knows I'll go behund him and crush it.

      Marlene (grandfather was JURIK)

      Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 21:26:14 EST
      From: BJLK@...
      Subject: Re: Whose Superstition?

      An odd superstition involving coins came up many years ago
      when our family
      decided that we would like to replace our great-aunt's set
      of old, dull knives
      with a lovely set of matching super-sharp blades in a
      fancy wooden
      knife-block. When she opened the package, at first she
      looked a little alarmed, and
      then proceeded to give every one of us a coin. She
      explained that she
      couldn't accept them as a gift, but needed to "pay" for
      the knives; if she did not,
      she was afraid the new knives would "sever" her
      relationship with the gift
      givers.

      There are 10 messages in this issue.

      Topics in this digest:

      1. Re: Re: slovak pizza
      From: Cmurraycamphill@...
      2. Wishing All, God's Blessings & A Merry Christmas
      From: Chuck Vrshek
      3. Merry Christmas
      From: Paul Wolsko

      4. Greek Catholic Christmas
      From: "Art"
      5. Greek Catholic Christmas
      From: "Art"
      6. "Vesele Vianoce"
      From: "Sunshine52"
      7. Re: Whose Superstition?
      From: BJLK@...
      8. RE: "Vesele Vianoce"
      From: "bdgranpa"
      9. RE: "Vesele Vianoce"
      From: PicasGurl@...
      10. CHRISTMAS EVE
      From: Vladimir Linder

      Message: 1
      Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 08:08:01 EST
      From: Cmurraycamphill@...
      Subject: Re: Re: slovak pizza

      Wow, Thanks so very much for the receipe. I remember my grandmother and
      mother making this! My grandmother used to make them on the top of her coal
      (cook) stove and they were wonderful. In a pinch sauerkraut works well, just
      remember to brown in some butter before using as a filling! Thanks again and
      Merry Christmas to all!!!

      Message: 2
      Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 07:24:49 -0800 (PST)
      From: Chuck Vrshek
      Subject: Wishing All, God's Blessings & A Merry Christmas

      On this Christmas Eve, I want to wish all of you a very Merry Christmas and God's Blessings for a healthy and prosperous New Year 2006. In just a short time, I have come to appreciate all of you, as you share an "absolute wealth" of Slovak history and culture. Thank you for all that you contribute! God Bless - Chuck Vrshek, Marietta, Georgia. ///

      Message: 3
      Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 17:58:50 -0500
      From: Paul Wolsko

      Subject: Merry Christmas

      To all my friends at Slovak World,

      Merry Christmas and a happy, prosperous, healthy New Year. Don't
      eat TOO much pirohy and keep mindful of all those who have so much less
      than us - this year has been a difficult one for many both here and abroad.

      God bless!

      Paul and Kathie (Yura) Wolsko

      Message: 4
      Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 17:33:26 -0800
      From: "Art"
      Subject: Greek Catholic Christmas

      Radio Slovakia will be broadcast on internet radio the Greek Catholic Christmas Liturgy from Bratislava(Gréckokatolícka sv. liturgia
      Priamy prenos z Chrámu Povýsenia sv. Kríza v Bratislave)on January 6th at 0930-1100 Slovak time and can be listened to and/or recorded from Radio Slovakia if you go to the website, click on Program on the left side, then scroll on top to the program for Jan.6th.

      Art, North Bend WA

      Message: 5
      Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 17:37:52 -0800
      From: "Art"

      Priamy prenos z Chrámu Povýsenia sv. Kríza v Bratislave)on January 6th at 0930-1100 Slovak time and can be listened to and/or recorded from Radio Slovakia at: http://www.slovakradio.sk/inetportal/slovensko/index.php
      if you go to the website, click on Program on the left side, then scroll on top to the program for Jan.6th.

      Art, North Bend WA

      Message: 6
      Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 20:14:51 -0800
      From: "Sunshine52"
      Subject: "Vesele Vianoce"

      Nature

      I do enjoy reading all the posts. I came across this poem that my mom had kept. She has since passed away on Thanksgiving. She was 80 and a wonderful mother with lots of Slovak traditions. Christmas Eve is my favorite. With Prayers, the Kapusta, Fish, Christmas Soup, Oplatky,(my dad would break a piece off & dip it into the honey and pass the unbroken oplatky around the table so everyone would do the same) Honey on the forehead,(which my mom would make the sign of the cross with the honey to each of us...some would could more..to be sweet all year) cracking the Walnuts,(we all wanted one the wasn't black inside) the Poppyseed and Walnut cakes, assorted Kifl, and of course lots of company and singing of Christmas Carols and Good Shepards Mass at 1:15 am getting up from sleeping and going out in the cold but knowing when mass was over and we were back home...mom would cook up a great big breakfast and after breakfast we would all open up our Christmas presents.. &carry on the tradition
      we do with found memories and new ones.
      for my children and my grandchildren....Everyone looks forward to Christmas Eve every year. The acitivity, food, smells for our senses...takes me way back and present. I have a place setting for my mom and dad. MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ONE AND ALL AND ALL THE HOLD A SPECIAL PLACE IN MY HEART!!!

      HOLIDAY HUM
      Twas the night beford VIANOCE
      And all through the house
      The SLOVAKS all gathered
      To eat SAUERKRAUT.
      The KOLACH was nestled
      All snug in its dish
      While BOBALKY were cooking
      And so was some FISH.

      Woman in their BUBUSKAS
      and men in their caps
      With food in their laps.
      When out on the lawn
      There arose such a clatter
      We all left our meal
      To see what was the matter.

      Away to the Window
      CETKA flew like a flash
      Screaming, :Lock all the doors
      and hide all the cash."
      And what to ur wondering eyes should appear,
      But a PAGAC SHAPED-SLEIGH
      And REINDEER.
      With a LITTLE OLD SLOVAK
      Sl lively and quick
      We knew in in a moment
      It was JANOSIK.
      More rapid than NOVENAS
      His reindeer all came
      As He shouted, 'ON STEFAN,
      And each reindeer's name.
      ON STEFAN, ON BORIS, ON JANOS
      AND OLGA ON JOSKO, ON CYRIL ON
      SANDOR AND VOLGA>"
      Then out to the smoke house
      the reindeer all flew
      with a sleigh ful of KOLBAS
      an JANOSIK, too!!

      Down the smoke vent he came
      with a leap and bound
      Dancing a CSARDAS
      And twirling aroung.
      He did a short POLKA
      then went to his work
      and gave us OPLATKY
      Then turned with a jerk.
      We gave him KAPUSTA
      And TZEDO's old clothes
      then we san "TICHA NOC"
      And up the smole vent he rose
      But we heard him exlcaim
      As we took of our coats
      "VESELE VIANOCE TO ALL
      AND TO ALL DOBRU NOC!!!"

      Message: 7
      Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 21:26:14 EST
      From: BJLK@...

      An odd superstition involving coins came up many years ago when our family
      decided that we would like to replace our great-aunt's set of old, dull knives
      with a lovely set of matching super-sharp blades in a fancy wooden
      knife-block. When she opened the package, at first she looked a little alarmed, and
      then proceeded to give every one of us a coin. She explained that she
      couldn't accept them as a gift, but needed to "pay" for the knives; if she did not,
      she was afraid the new knives would "sever" her relationship with the gift
      givers.

      Sorry if I'm a little late reading my messages.

      B. J.

      Message: 8
      Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 21:23:18 -0500
      From: "bdgranpa"
      Subject: RE: "Vesele Vianoce"

      You bring back pleasant memories. Wish my children could experience what I
      did.

      Blessed Christmas and holy new year to you and all!!!

[...]

      http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/KDdolB/TM

      Message: 9
      Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 22:04:02 -0500
      From: PicasGurl@...

      Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everyone!!!!

      See you later,
      Haidee
      PicasGurl@...

      Message: 10
      Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 23:11:38 -0800
      From: Vladimir Linder
      Subject: CHRISTMAS EVE

      Please visit Linder's family Christmas Eve:
      http://lindervideo.com/Christmas2005/1.htm

      Merry Christmas to all.

      Vladi