Greek Catholic Christmas

  • Art
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 24, 2005
      Radio Slovakia will be broadcast on internet radio the Greek Catholic Christmas Liturgy from Bratislava(Gréckokatolícka sv. liturgia
      Priamy prenos z Chrámu Povýsenia sv. Kríza v Bratislave)on January 6th at 0930-1100 Slovak time and can be listened to and/or recorded from Radio Slovakia at: http://www.slovakradio.sk/inetportal/slovensko/index.php
      if you go to the website, click on Program on the left side, then scroll on top to the program for Jan.6th.

      Art, North Bend WA

    • slocrobear
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 3, 2006
        Hi,

        Actually, Greek Catholics in Slovakia follow the Gregorian Calendar and celebrated Christmas on December 25.

        This is for the Feast of the Theophany, The Baptism of Jesus in the Jordan. At this Liturgy, they will bless water and then the church and very often there is a big procession to the nearest river and they bless it as well...

        Greek Catholics in Urkaine and Orthodox Christian celebrate Christmas on January 7th.

        Hope this helps....

        --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Art" <KD7EER@g...> wrote:

        > Radio Slovakia will be broadcast on internet radio the Greek Catholic Christmas Liturgy from Bratislava(Gréckokatolícka sv. liturgia
        > Priamy prenos z Chrámu Povýsenia sv. Kríza v Bratislave)on January 6th at 0930-1100 Slovak time and can be listened to and/or recorded from Radio Slovakia at: http://www.slovakradio.sk/inetportal/slovensko/index.php
        > if you go to the website, click on Program on the left side, then scroll on top to the program for Jan.6th.
        >
        > Art, North Bend WA

      • andreialexiev
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 4, 2006
          Actually, some Orthodox do celebrate Christmas on Dec 25th, but almost
          all retain the Easter celebration according to the Julian Calender
          which sometimes does coincide with the Western celebration of
          Easter.Some Ukrainian Greek Catholic in the diasporsa still follow the
          Julian Calender for ALL the feast days.Most Greek Orthodox churches
          would be 'new calnder',most Slavic Orthox(except for the Bulgarian
          church)old.Our church,the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia,
          as well as the Serbian Orthodox, preserbve the Julian Calender.I'm not
          100% sure, but I believe the Orthodox in both the Czech republic and
          Slovakia do the same.In any event, they would always celebrate Easter
          by the Julian reckoning.Fr. Andrei--- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com,
          "slocrobear" <cahek@w...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > Actually, Greek Catholics in Slovakia follow the Gregorian Calendar
          and celebrated Christmas on December 25.

          > This is for the Feast of the Theophany, The Baptism of Jesus in the
          Jordan. At this Liturgy, they will bless water and then the church and
          very often there is a big procession to the nearest river and they
          bless it as well...

          > Greek Catholics in Urkaine and Orthodox Christian celebrate
          Christmas on January 7th.

          > Hope this helps....
          >

          > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Art" <KD7EER@g...> wrote:
          > >

          > > Radio Slovakia will be broadcast on internet radio the Greek
          Catholic Christmas Liturgy from Bratislava(Gréckokatolícka sv. liturgia
          > > Priamy prenos z Chrámu Povýsenia sv. Kríza v Bratislave)on January
          6th at 0930-1100 Slovak time and can be listened to and/or recorded
          from Radio Slovakia at:
          http://www.slovakradio.sk/inetportal/slovensko/index.php
          > > if you go to the website, click on Program on the left side, then
          scroll on top to the program for Jan.6th.

          > > Art, North Bend WA

        • sandman6294
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 4, 2006
            --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "slocrobear" <cahek@w...> wrote:

            > Greek Catholics in Urkaine and Orthodox Christian celebrate
            Christmas on January 7th.

            Actually they celebrate it on December 25th but on the Julian
            Calendar.

            RU