Pirohy

  • Paul Wolsko
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 18, 2005
      Here it's Sunday - a week before the day that, hopefully, is more noted
      for the birth of Christ than avarice. There's been little or no
      impassioned pirohy dialogue that I've discerned. Good grief, have the
      Slovaks settled into Mrs. T's? Have they all found a Uki church that
      enslaves their women parishoners to pump out the pirohy? (excuse the
      alliteration)

      But here in the Wolsko house, tradition reins supreme. My wife
      continues to bang them out by hand every year - we're down to only two
      types: the potato-cheese and the prune (not, mind you, Lekvar - that's
      cheating). This year, we're having Christmas at my older kid's place,
      so it's an Italian style Christmas Day. I have a hard time getting used
      to lasagne and manicotti on Christmas, but he married into an Italian
      family and they're good people. My grandson's almost three and has
      beautiful olive skin - nothing like natural selection. But he's got the
      Wolsko/Slovak bump on his nose, apparently a dominant trait.

      We're having the traditional Christmas Eve the day AFTER Christmas. My
      younger son (27) is a cop with the NYPD and must work on both the 24th
      and 25th, so we're rearranging the calendar for him - seems like the
      right thing to do. He abhors pirohy, but likes the family gathered
      together at our place. So he'll get lobster and shrimp while we pig out
      on the mondo carbs.

      Hope everyone's having pirohy for Christmas...and don't forget the sour
      cream. Oh yea, and the burnt onions.

      Paul
    • Michelle Burke

        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 19, 2005
          Helen: That is exactly what my mother made for Christmas Eve. Each
          and everything you mentioned is what we had. Boy, does that bring
          back the memories.
          Dave Kuchta

            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 19, 2005
              Well -- we had the soup (but not with rice), but pirohies were the main feature of our Christmas Eve dinner, which was indeed preceded by oplatky and honey (when I was old enough, I was in charge of going to the rectory for it). My mother was not big on baking bread, but she would bake kolac'ky, which we would have for desert, with fruit and nuts. Interesting how customs can be similar but different!

              Helen Fedor <hfed@...> wrote: Although my mother made pirohy during the rest of the year (some with lekvar (not prunes) and some with farmer's cheese), we never had them for Christmas Eve. That was when we had Kozary (a sourish soup with rice and dried mushrooms), Bobal'ky s makom (bobal'ky with poppyseed), and some savory pastries, ending with some stewed prunes sprinkled with a bit of powdered sugar. Of course, we started out with oplatky and honey.

              >>> pwolsko@... 12/18/05 3:53 PM >>>

              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 19, 2005
                My mother also made mushroom soup on Christmas Eve. It was an odd brew
                of reconstituted Europen dried mushrooms - had a fantastic aroma. I
                liked the aroma, but not the soup. She put whole prunes in it, and I'd
                never heard of that style since. For Christmas Eve, I now make cream of
                mushroom soup - a tough soup to make without a LARGE double boiler, so
                you don't ruin the soup on direct heat.

                Hard to find oplatky around here, so we use Finn Crisp flatbread, which
                turns out to be a great substitute. It's not blessed by any higher
                power but, then again, perhaps it is. You never know about these things.

                Paul W.

              • Taoz@aol.com
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 20, 2005
                  Humble Dave,
                  I second your sentiments. We do the same. Of course, we should since our
                  ancestors came from the same town.
                  Pavel

                • Taoz@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 20, 2005
                    Paul W.,
                    I have trouble findind oplatky also here on Staten Island. I call the
                    Jankola Library and Sister Voytko mails them to me with a bill. Try it.
                    Pavel

                  • Paul Wolsko
                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 20, 2005
                      Pavel,

                      Thanks for the tip!

                      Paul

                      Taoz@... wrote:

                      >Paul W.,
                      >I have trouble findind oplatky also here on Staten Island. I call the
                      >Jankola Library and Sister Voytko mails them to me with a bill. Try it.
                      >Pavel

                      >Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Caye Caswick
                      Message 10 of 14 , Dec 20, 2005
                        I get mine from Greg Kopchak -- at It's All Relative
                        -- so there's another source. FYI, lots of rectories
                        and convents (Roman Catholic) also have them, but you
                        must go inside and ask and it's proper to leave a cash
                        donation.

                        Caye

                        --- Paul Wolsko <pwolsko@...> wrote:

                        > Pavel,
                        >
                        > Thanks for the tip!
                        >
                        > Paul
                        >

                        > Taoz@... wrote:
                        >
                        > >Paul W.,
                        > >I have trouble findind oplatky also here on Staten
                        > Island. I call the
                        > >Jankola Library and Sister Voytko mails them to me
                        > with a bill. Try it.
                        > >Pavel
                        > >

                        > >[Non-text portions of this message have been
                        > removed]
                        > >

                        > >Yahoo! Groups Links

                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                      • Paul Wolsko
                        Message 11 of 14 , Dec 20, 2005
                          Cash, of course, opens doors everywhere. Cash is "King", and I ain't
                          referring to Elvis.

                          Paul

                          Caye Caswick wrote:

                          >I get mine from Greg Kopchak -- at It's All Relative
                          >-- so there's another source. FYI, lots of rectories
                          >and convents (Roman Catholic) also have them, but you
                          >must go inside and ask and it's proper to leave a cash
                          >donation.
                          >

                          >Caye
                          >

                          >--- Paul Wolsko <pwolsko@...> wrote:
                          >

                          >>Pavel,
                          >>
                          >> Thanks for the tip!
                          >>
                          >>Paul
                          >>

                          >>Taoz@... wrote:
                          >>

                          >>>Paul W.,
                          >>>I have trouble findind oplatky also here on Staten
                          >>>

                          >>Island. I call the
                          >>

                          >>>Jankola Library and Sister Voytko mails them to me
                          >>>

                          >>with a bill. Try it.
                          >>

                          >>>Pavel
                          >>>

                          >>>[Non-text portions of this message have been
                          >>>

                          >>removed]
                          >>

                          >>>Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • Michelle Burke
                          Message 12 of 14 , Dec 20, 2005
                            You can also purchase oplatky from iarelative.com, through its Christmas traditions link.

                            Taoz@... wrote:

                            >Paul W.,
                            >I have trouble findind oplatky also here on Staten Island. I call the
                            >Jankola Library and Sister Voytko mails them to me with a bill. Try it.
                            >Pavel

                            >Yahoo! Groups Links

                          • Paul Wolsko
                            Message 13 of 14 , Feb 11, 2010
                              Kathie Yura Wolsko's hand-made pirohy. Oops - one broke!!!

                              Paul Wolsko

                            • Caye Caswick
                              Message 14 of 14 , Feb 11, 2010

                                her hand or the pirohy? -- OH NO MR. BILL!!!!!!