Re: [Slovak-World] Is HUNKY a 4 letter word

  • Michelle Burke
    Message 1 of 22 , Dec 14, 2005
      I guess I heard these words because some of my friends had older "tough" brothers hanging around ... we had a word for them, too! ("greasers")

      Michelle A Mader <Michelle.A.Mader@...> wrote:
      Michelle Burke wrote:
      >I grew up in Cleveland in the early 60's. In our pretty much all Slavic
      >neighborhood (mostly Slovak, some Poles, Hungarians, and maybe a few
      >Czechs, for all I know), "we" (the Slovaks) called "them" (the Hungarians)
      >"Hunkies". Of course, good children did not use such words, but we all
      >knew them.

      I grew up in Cleveland in the 60's too, btu I never heard "Hunkie" until I
      was in my upper
      teens and was told it meant a Hungarian (by someone who was
      Hungarian). The only
      perjorative terms I knew growing up were for Italians, Puerto Ricans, and
      African-Americans.
      My mother was half-Italian and had been called several of those terms as a
      child.

      Michelle Maco Mader
      Cleveland, Ohio USA