Re: [Slovak-World] Re: Lost Recipe

  • Tom Flynn
    Message 1 of 26 , Dec 5, 2005
      On Mon, 5 Dec 2005, Helen Fedor wrote:

      > My family lives near Slanec (my father's family came from Slanske Nove Mesto), in a little village that has a spring (comes out of a pipe in a little cement wall). My cousin's wife said that they use their "plumbed" water for cooking, washing, etc., but that she bikes down to the spring with a few plastic jugs to get the spring water for drinking.

      Thank you, Helen, that's probably where he went for water (somehow I
      thought there'd be a spring in Slanec, without having gone there, though we
      passed it on the road to Zemplinska Teplica from Kosice)
      I have a "cousin" (my Grandfather's brother's Great Grandson) whose Mother
      is from Slanec, unfortunately, I don't know her maiden name. The "cousin"
      stayed with us for 4 months with his girlfriend (now wife) during the
      summer between his 4th and 5th years at University, before he graduated, 2
      years ago, where they worked for a local resturant. Not sure, but maybe
      other people from Slanec (I know of some from Secovce) that we're somehow
      related to.

      ---------
      Tom Flynn
      I speak only for myself
    • amiak27
      Message 2 of 26 , Dec 5, 2005
        Sorry Folks,

        I did not realize I was holding out on you. For natural water
        sprinngs in Slovakia go to
        http://www.sazp.sk/slovak/struktura/ceev/DPZ/pramene/pramene.html#map
        a and click on the region that interests you. Explore to find the
        spring you want. When the page comes up you can chose a miltary or
        a civilian detailed topo map showing the spring. This should answer
        99% of your questions of where people went for natural spring water!

        for the certified BEST water in Slovakia, go to Sulinky Pramen, by
        the village of Sulin on the Poprad river.
        http://www.sazp.sk/slovak/struktura/ceev/DPZ/pramene/sl/pv-70a.html

        If you need a translation of the minerals and other goodies Mother
        Nature puts in the water for you, go to
        http://www.sazp.sk/slovak/struktura/ceev/DPZ/pramene/slovnika.html

        Nazdravie!

        Ron

        --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Tom Flynn <trflynn@c...> wrote:

        > On Sat, 3 Dec 2005, Martin Votruba wrote:
        >
        > > > a particular place near Levoca to collect some drinking
        > > > water from a spot where water was coming down from the mountain
        > > It was probably Siva brada (Gray Beard), Tom, quite well known
        in the region. There are several springs with naturally carbonated
        mineral water there, and a small pool with a geyser (up to about 10
        ft) near the top of the small hill:

        > > http://departments.fsv.cvut.cz/k135/ge10/galerie/jezirko.jpg
        > >
        > > The geyser started rather recently and inadvertently after
        geologists
        > > did some drilling there, but the mineral springs have been
        popular
        > > with the locals for centuries. At the top is a baroque chapel
        > > (Sva"ty' kri'z~, "Holy Cross") from 1675:
        > >
        > > http://www.zsf.sk/index.php?act=soom&idf=157
        > >
        > > Passing drivers often stop at a spring lower down to fill
        bottles and
        > > bring them home. Slovakia has over 1,000 registered mineral and
        > > thermal springs. People get water from them in many places,
        > > especially if they're along a road, so I'd guess your stop there
        need
        > > not have been connected with the loks~e.
        > >

        > > Martin
        > >
        > > votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
        > >
        > Thank You, Martin,
        >
        > It might have been at the spring lower down (closer to the road)
        that we
        > stopped...I remember being on that same road on a previous trip,
        but never
        > noticed the springs. Maybe it didn't have anything to do with the
        loks~e,
        > or maybe it was just a local (or even family) thing. I didn't
        recognize
        > the geyser nor the chapel, but we didn't stay long, just enough to
        fill
        > the bottles.
        >
        > My grandfather continued the "habit" of filling up water bottles
        after he
        > moved to the US...but I'm not sure where he would have filled them
        up in
        > Slovakia, since Levoca would have been very far (by horse or other
        > conveyance, since I'm sure he didn't have access to car or maybe
        even bus
        > in early 20th century before he came to the US). The town he came
        from
        > was named for the "hot" springs, though it seems that they were
        mostly
        > used for washing/laundry rather than drinking...but as you
        mention, there
        > are many places people found mineral water in Slovakia, perhaps he
        went to
        > the next town over (Slanec), a more hilly area where I'd guess
        they'd be
        > likely to find spring water.
        >
        > ---------
        > Tom Flynn
        > I speak only for myself

      • Martin Votruba
        Message 3 of 26 , Dec 6, 2005
          http://www.sazp.sk/slovak/struktura/ceev/DPZ/pramene/pramene.html#map

          That's a useful site, Ron (clever that you got the URL although they
          use frames). The springs are registered under the names of the
          villages on whose territory they are, which is not necessarily the
          same as the name under which they are known. The springs at Siva
          brada are in the "Levoca" section, under "Baldovce SNV - 4" through
          "Baldovce SNV - 9." The one most people stop by is SNV-4 called Sv.
          Ondrej (St. Andrew).

          Unlike in the US, all of Slovakia's territory is divided among
          villages, boroughs, and towns (which is the case in the rest of
          Central Europe, too). The counties have no territory under their
          control. Land features that belong to a village can be quite far from
          it if its territory is large. Some villages own mountains, etc.

          Martin

          votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
          Message 4 of 26 , Dec 6, 2005
            Sorry, I was less than fully clear. While my father comes from from Slanske Nove Mesto, my mother's family comes from about 3 miles away, Male Ozorovce, which is where the spring is. MO is not far from Sec~ovce: if you take the road from Kos~ice to Sec~ovce, just as you get into Sec~ovce, you take a right and go down that road. The first village is Zbehn~ov (my mother's father came from there), then there's a tiny Roma settlement (doesn't have a name), then there's MO. A cousin on my mother's side married a fellow from Sec~ovce with the last name of Tirpak. Ring any bells?

            >>> trflynn@... 12/05/05 7:01 PM >>>
            On Mon, 5 Dec 2005, Helen Fedor wrote:

            > My family lives near Slanec (my father's family came from Slanske Nove Mesto), in a little village that has a spring (comes out of a pipe in a little cement wall). My cousin's wife said that they use their "plumbed" water for cooking, washing, etc., but that she bikes down to the spring with a few plastic jugs to get the spring water for drinking.

            Thank you, Helen, that's probably where he went for water (somehow I
            thought there'd be a spring in Slanec, without having gone there, though we
            passed it on the road to Zemplinska Teplica from Kosice)
            I have a "cousin" (my Grandfather's brother's Great Grandson) whose Mother
            is from Slanec, unfortunately, I don't know her maiden name. The "cousin"
            stayed with us for 4 months with his girlfriend (now wife) during the
            summer between his 4th and 5th years at University, before he graduated, 2
            years ago, where they worked for a local resturant. Not sure, but maybe
            other people from Slanec (I know of some from Secovce) that we're somehow
            related to.

            ---------
            Tom Flynn
            I speak only for myself

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          • Tom Flynn
            Message 5 of 26 , Dec 8, 2005
              On Mon, 5 Dec 2005, Martin Votruba wrote:

              > > It might have been at the spring lower down (closer to the
              > > road) that we stopped...I remember being on that same road
              > > on a previous trip
              >
              > Yes, Tom, the mineral spring is quite well known today because it's on
              > the main route between Bratislava and Presov/Kosice, under 10 miles
              > east of Levoca near Spis Castle. And indeed, you cannot see the
              > chapel and new-fangled geyser from the spring where passers-by get the
              > water, you'd have to climb about 160 ft. One of Slovakia's most
              > popular mineral waters comes from the village of Baldovce only 2 miles
              > away. They started bottling and selling it about 200 years ago.
              >
              > The warm springs at your ancestral Teplica are mineralized, too, but
              > people have traditionally not been too enthusiastic about warm springs
              > when they wanted drinking water. The name of the nearby _Slanec_ that
              > you mention is related to "salt/salty" and indicated springs and
              > places where people would make salt by boiling mineralized water (a
              > slanec could also be the person who did it). Thee were plans for
              > Kosice to tap the geothermal water in the region for central heating,
              > but I don't know how far the project has progressed, if at all.
              >

              > Martin
              >
              > votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
              Thank You, Martin,

              Thinking about it now, I guess that if there was a source of mineral water
              closer to their town, they would have gotten it there instead...I didn't
              realize that the water at Slanec was salty (and also warm, as it is in
              Zemplinska Teplica)
              ---------
              Tom Flynn
              I speak only for myself
            • Matchett
              Message 6 of 26 , Dec 9, 2005
                The best spring water I ever tasted was in Marianka where there's a
                shrine and grotto to Mary. My cousin told me to bring a bottle as we
                were going there for Mass. I was thinking holy water and had a little
                bottle! He laughed and gave me a big bottle. When we got there I saw
                people lined up with jugs and bicycle riders filling up their water
                bottles.

                I had been there with my mother in 1982 and not many people were there.
                I was told there was just one old priest. I didn't see the spring at
                the time. Now, the seminary there has several candidates for the
                priesthood and there are many booths selling religious articles.
                Helene's tour stopped there in 2000 and the church was being restored.

                When I was there in '02 for Mass (and got the water), the church was
                overflowing with people and rows of chairs set up outside. It is one
                of my favorite places to visit and recall my mother's many stories of
                processions there from her home in Zahorska Bystrica.

                Julia Matchett

                On Thursday, December 8, 2005, at 01:37 PM, Tom Flynn wrote:

                > On Mon, 5 Dec 2005, Martin Votruba wrote:
                >
                >>> It might have been at the spring lower down (closer to the
                >>> road) that we stopped...I remember being on that same road
                >>> on a previous trip
                >>
                >> Yes, Tom, the mineral spring is quite well known today because it's on
                >> the main route between Bratislava and Presov/Kosice, under 10 miles
                >> east of Levoca near Spis Castle. And indeed, you cannot see the
                >> chapel and new-fangled geyser from the spring where passers-by get the
                >> water, you'd have to climb about 160 ft. One of Slovakia's most
                >> popular mineral waters comes from the village of Baldovce only 2 miles
                >> away. They started bottling and selling it about 200 years ago.
                >>
                >> The warm springs at your ancestral Teplica are mineralized, too, but
                >> people have traditionally not been too enthusiastic about warm springs
                >> when they wanted drinking water. The name of the nearby _Slanec_ that
                >> you mention is related to "salt/salty" and indicated springs and
                >> places where people would make salt by boiling mineralized water (a
                >> slanec could also be the person who did it). Thee were plans for
                >> Kosice to tap the geothermal water in the region for central heating,
                >> but I don't know how far the project has progressed, if at all.
                >>

                >> Martin
                >>
                >> votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
                > Thank You, Martin,
                >
                > Thinking about it now, I guess that if there was a source of mineral
                > water
                > closer to their town, they would have gotten it there instead...I
                > didn't
                > realize that the water at Slanec was salty (and also warm, as it is in
                > Zemplinska Teplica)
                > ---------
                > Tom Flynn
                > I speak only for myself
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Fred G Kovalyak
                Message 7 of 26 , Dec 9, 2005
                  Has anyone drank the Spring water at the top of the hill in
                  Sarriske Circ, near Stara Lubova ?

                  The waters are said to have "Healing Powers"
                  I heard a story from my Cousin that her Grandmother was one
                  of 4 Shepard children that on the hill in the 1800's, and was told the Virgin Mary
                  had recently stood where they were sitting
                  ...... that a "spring" will come forth.

                  The children were frightened and ran down the hill to tell the
                  Priest. He and others went up the hill and Discovered the NEW
                  Spring !!!
                  People frequently walk up hill for the waters ..... they built a Chapel there
                  and hold their Otpost at that site each year. Many Pilgrims visit the site each
                  year.

                  I was there in 2001, drank alot of water and gave it to my
                  80+ Relatives. Hope to Return during OTPOST.

                  F G Kovalyak
                  Columbia,Md.

                  http://mail.yahoo.com