Re: Rental Car crossing countries

  • amiak27
    Message 1 of 48 , Dec 2, 2005
      I have booked Anchorage-Frankfurt and added the Budapest-Frankfurt
      leg onto the itinerary for only $50 more. In addition it saves a
      full day of vacation not spent just travelling! You might consider
      Budapest as an alternate to Vienna. There could be a big difference
      in price.

      Ron

      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Vlad Nad <vladnadd@y...> wrote:

      > some great points Tom, as for the drop charge, it is only 155
      Eruo, which with all things considered, cheaper that driving back
      to frankfort to return it.
      > This is our second trip to Slovakia, first one we flew
      into and departed from Vienna. This time we would like to see
      Germany, Poland, CZ Republic, and of course spend the last week or
      so in Slovakia with relatives. Then it is a short drive to Vienna
      for return trip home. I havent mapped out a route yet, but it may
      be impossible to include Poland in this trip, but we will see. I
      havent booked flights yet, but was thinking that arrive Frankfurt,
      depart Vienna might be the best way to go. If you or anyone can
      suggest a better plan, I am all ears.

      Michutka wrote:

      > > At 12:32 AM 12/2/2005 -0800, you wrote:
      > > >Well friends, So far I have talked to Hertz, (thought I
      would check out
      > > >the expensive one first) and they will rent me a car for
      three weeks,
      > > >picking up in Germany, dropping in Vienna for 1376.00 USD.
      > >
      > > I suppose you've already taken these into consideration, but
      on the slim
      > > chance that you haven't--don't pick up the car at the airport
      location,
      > > it's much more expensive; be flexible about what size car you
      want,
      > > sometimes there is a special rental rate on a particular size
      for a
      > > particular length of time (eg mid-size for more than 14
      days). I actually

      > We spent LOTS of time checking into rental cars on each of our
      trips to
      > Europe, since it's been awhile for us, some of the rental
      agencies that
      > were a good deal (at the time) may not be the best deal
      now...plus I hear
      > that rates are going higher for rental cars...the rates you
      quote are
      > almost twice what we paid for a 3 week rental...but note that we
      didn't
      > incur a drop charge like you are likely to encounter when you
      pick up the
      > car in Germany and drop in Vienna...but this is probably due to
      your
      > airline arrangement, not much you can do about it.
      >
      > J. Michutka had good advice about picking up rental car outside
      of
      > airport (or even train stations)...some places in Europe have a
      very high
      > (we found up to 17% depending on location) fee for "convenient"
      pickup
      > location....so much so, that when we rented from Avis from
      Frankfurt last
      > trip, I took the short trip into town (a tram in and a bus out)
      to the
      > city Avis office and picked up the car there...of course, I did
      have to
      > drive out of the city, which is probably a little harder than
      driving out
      > of the airport, but usually it is easier to drive out of a city
      than to
      > find a location inside the city by car, so it was well worth it
      to avoid
      > the steep pickup charges.
      >
      > They seem to have charges for everything these days...the
      only "extra" we
      > paid for was to add extra drivers to the list (for emergency
      > reasons)...any insurance will only cover the drivers listed on
      contract,
      > so even if you have the "free" credit card insurance, you might
      want to go
      > for this in case something happens to your prime driver such
      that you have
      > to have an alternate. We also went for manual transmission (you
      or your
      > backup might need automatic) which cost a bit less, and you
      might also
      > consider going with diesel vs unleaded gas (rental might cost
      more for
      > Diesel, but depending on cost of fuel and miles travelled, might
      end up
      > being less expensive)...also might be able to save some by
      deleting air
      > conditioning, or other options you don't need.
      >
      > Also might check into lease deals (probably better deals in
      France rather
      > than Germany)...I think they start at 21 days...though you do
      have to pay
      > for maintenance, and I'm not sure what the pickup charge would
      be to pick
      > up the car in Vienna.
      >
      > Also, they seemed to limit which models they would allow into
      certain
      > countries like Slovakia...for some reason, we couldn't rent a
      VW, but an
      > Opel was OK (we also got a Ford Scorpio one trip)...make sure
      they know
      > up front that you do want to take the car into Slovakia, and
      also include
      > other eastern countries that you will travel through (CZ?) on
      your way to
      > Slovakia (and on your return, but likely you will just return
      through
      > Slovkaia if you are dropping car in Vienna).
      >
      > They don't always ask for the "green" card at the border, but is
      good to
      > have it...One trip I wasn't on, my mother had gotten a car in
      Warsaw, to
      > travel to Slovakia, and had to pay some sort of fee at the
      border because
      > they didn't think she had correct insurance (or maybe it was
      evident she
      > was a foreigner, though she does speak (70 year old) Slovak she
      learned
      > from her parents).
      >
      > Not sure whatever other advise...if you only need rental car for
      Slovakia,
      > maybe take train/bus in and rent the car there (some have found
      cheaper
      > rates for rental in Slovakia, though I have no experience with
      them)...
      > I guess I need to budget more money for rental car for next trip
      over...
      > wonder why it is so expensive to rent a car there vs in the US
      (where it
      > is almost an afterthought).
      >
      > Hope this helps...good luck on your trip.
      >
      > ---------
      > Tom Flynn
      > I speak only for myself

      > Slovakia
      phone card Slovakia
      call Bratislava
      slovakia
      Hotel slovakia
      Slovakia phone
      Slovakia

      Service.

      > ---------------------------------

    • Jan Vislocky
      Message 48 of 48 , Dec 19, 2005
        Price for car rental is very different and mostly
        depend what kind of car you want to rent.20 day rental
        from Apr 25 to May 15
        with automatic trans.Car Opel Astra $1771, Volkswagen
        Golf $ 1830, Opel Vectra $1941. Other cars with manual
        trans.
        prices is from $ 1330. to $ 4100 The airlines ticket
        from JFK to Berlin and from Vienna to JFK is $ 620 +
        tax

        John

        http://mail.yahoo.com