Re: [Slovak-World] TEST

  • Sunshine52
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 2, 2005
      TEST...

      KATHI
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: amiak27
      To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tuesday, October 25, 2005 9:23 PM
      Subject: [Slovak-World] Re: Men's and women's last names

      Hi RU,

      There was a Jan that put me onto Paul Goldschmidt's dictionary of
      Period Russian names about ten years ago it seems, and in addition
      to a lot of background on otherwise exotic Russian names it gave me
      what I believe to be the basis of Matviyak - Matfie or Matvie -
      Mathew.
      http://www.sca.org/heraldry/paul/zgrammar.html
      and
      http://www.sca.org/heraldry/paul/

      take you there. I take it that the Matviak is from a religious time
      and may mean something like (hopefully) "under the protection of St
      Mathew", or as close as English comes, "Mathewson".

      Fortunately I started out figuring that knowing about the neighbors
      of the Slovaks would help learn Slovak history, and it has, and the
      attitude has stuck with me. Of course it would be nice to follow a
      concentrated line of study as well!

      So I owe that guy a lot of thanks.

      Ron (not a very Slavic name!)

      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "sandman6294"