Re: [Slovak-World] Cherry Hill NJ ?

    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 2 7:59 AM
      Here are 2 entries from the Library of Congress' "Slovaks in America" chronology <http://www.loc.gov/rr/european/imsk/slovakia.html> that deal with New Jersey:

      1879
      Slovaks in Passaic, New Jersey, welcomed the first group of women who came to their community from Slovakia. When Hungarian authorities legislated that all men under the age of 50 must remain in the country to fulfill military service, the number of women emigrating increased markedly.

      1887
      The First Coopers' Beneficial Society was founded in Bayonne, New Jersey. It was the first Slovak society to uphold the interests of workers and even negotiated with factory owners.

      >>> mikestevko@... 12/02/05 10:31 AM >>>
      I remember in the '40's that Newark, NJ was the hotbed of Slovaks.
      Apparently a lot of immigrants landed in New York and gravitated to the
      Slovak areas in Newark where they were accepted into the new world.