Cherry Hill NJ ?

  • Barbara/Bill
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 1, 2005
      Was Cherry Hill NJ a strong Slovak town "once upone a time"? I remember my
      aunt saying that they went there once when she was a kid (1930-ish) to visit
      relatives but of course she never paid attention to which side of the family
      they were connected to or what the name as....and my aunt is gone now
      too.......just wondered about the ethnicity of that area. Thanx

      Barbara - Uprooting family trees

      "Pray for AMERICA"
    • krejc@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 1, 2005
        That is a good question. All i remember about Cherry Hill, New Jersey, while
        i was a kid in Passaic was that Jacqueline Kennedy owned a horse farm there
        in Cherry Hill and that it was a very wealthy town. now this was back in the
        70's. the residents guarded her privacy and her desire to raise her two
        children out of the spotlight. That part sounds very Slovak.
        Noreen

      • Chuck Vrshek
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 1, 2005
          Ok - Y'all help me out here. My former boss who grew up in New Jersey in the 1920's and 30's, used to talk about all the NJ Slovak "sokals", which were competative social - athletic groups. Obviously, lottsa Slovaks active in NJ. Can I get some help here?? Chuck Vrshek - Marietta, Georgia

          krejc@... wrote: That is a good question. All i remember about Cherry Hill, New Jersey, while
          i was a kid in Passaic was that Jacqueline Kennedy owned a horse farm there
          in Cherry Hill and that it was a very wealthy town. now this was back in the
          70's. the residents guarded her privacy and her desire to raise her two
          children out of the spotlight. That part sounds very Slovak.
          Noreen

          ---------------------------------

        • mike stevko
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 2, 2005
            I remember in the '40's that Newark, NJ was the hotbed of Slovaks.
            Apparently a lot of immigrants landed in New York and gravitated to the
            Slovak areas in Newark where they were accepted into the new world.

            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 2, 2005
              Here are 2 entries from the Library of Congress' "Slovaks in America" chronology <http://www.loc.gov/rr/european/imsk/slovakia.html> that deal with New Jersey:

              1879
              Slovaks in Passaic, New Jersey, welcomed the first group of women who came to their community from Slovakia. When Hungarian authorities legislated that all men under the age of 50 must remain in the country to fulfill military service, the number of women emigrating increased markedly.

              1887
              The First Coopers' Beneficial Society was founded in Bayonne, New Jersey. It was the first Slovak society to uphold the interests of workers and even negotiated with factory owners.

              >>> mikestevko@... 12/02/05 10:31 AM >>>
              I remember in the '40's that Newark, NJ was the hotbed of Slovaks.
              Apparently a lot of immigrants landed in New York and gravitated to the
              Slovak areas in Newark where they were accepted into the new world.

              > Ok - Y'all help me out here. My former boss who grew up in New Jersey in
              > the 1920's and 30's, used to talk about all the NJ Slovak "sokals", which
              > were competative social - athletic groups. Obviously, lottsa Slovaks
              > active in NJ. Can I get some help here?? Chuck Vrshek - Marietta, Georgia
              >
              > krejc@... wrote: That is a good question. All i remember about
              > Cherry Hill, New Jersey, while
              > i was a kid in Passaic was that Jacqueline Kennedy owned a horse farm
              > there
              > in Cherry Hill and that it was a very wealthy town. now this was back in
              > the
              > 70's. the residents guarded her privacy and her desire to raise her two
              > children out of the spotlight. That part sounds very Slovak.
              > Noreen

              YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS