[Slovak-World] Re: Lost Recipe

    Message 1 of 26 , Dec 1, 2005
      Yes, Chris did mention _s,apka_. For the pancake, he mentioned a Persian word (can't remember what it was), but said that it didn't even show up in his dictionary.

      >>> votrubam@... 12/01/05 2:46 PM >>>
      > He says that modern Turkish uses a word pronounced "sha-PO"
      > (from the French "chapeau") for hat, although Turkish
      > has "kal-PAK" (just like the Russians) for a special kind
      > of fur hat. It comes from somewhere in Asia.
      >
      > I asked him about loks~a and he said that there's a word
      > pronounced "LAH-ma-dzhan" in Turkish that's a type of
      > pancake traditionally served with ground meat on it.

      Thank you very much for all of that, Helen. It's very useful. There
      actually is a Turkish word _s,apka_ (I checked a dictionary) while I
      didn't find _s,[h]apo_, but I wouldn't be surprised if both were a
      version of the French word. That origin of the word seems more
      plausible to me given its spread in the Slavic languages -- why would
      Czech and Polish pick a word for "hat" from Turkish?

      I wouldn't be surprised if there were a link between loksa and the
      Turkish word (I don't see anything similar in the dictionary, I took
      account of the spelling -- [dzh] is spelled _c_ in Turkish, and tried
      several variations). Etymologists say there is/was a regional
      north-Turkish word _laks,a_ that may have come from Persian. So the
      speculations about the origin of _loksa_ are rather tentative.

      Martin

      votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu

      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

    • Tom Flynn
      Message 2 of 26 , Dec 2, 2005
        Thanks for the recipe, Martin.

        One of our relatives in Zemplinska Teplica (about 30 km east of Kosice)
        made Loks~e for us at their home...we enjoyed them very much. The day
        before we took them on a driving trip, and on the return, they made a
        point of stopping at a particular place near Levoca to collect some
        drinking water from a spot where water was coming down from the mountain,
        which they served with the Loks~e the next day. (we were under the
        impression that drinking the water had something to do with the Loks~e, maybe
        tradition?). Anyway, according to my Mother, my Grandfather used to do
        also collect water from a particular spring when he lived in Pennsylvania,
        though I don't think she was familiar with Loks~e, just enjoyed the spring
        water.

        On Wed, 30 Nov 2005, Martin Votruba wrote:

        > Loks~e (singular: loks~a) are potato pancakes. Boil about a
        > pound-pound and a half of potatoes, mash them, mix in 3-5 ounces of
        > flour when cold, add salt. Make pancakes (on a board dusted with
        > flour), fry them without fat. When finished, brush them lighlty with
        > some fat (melted goose lard is considered best for lokse in Slovakia,
        > melted butter or oil might work).
        >
        > http://img.bleskovky.sk/lesk/big/32970.jpg/mastene_lokse.jpg
        >

        > Martin
        >
        > votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        ---------
        Tom Flynn
        I speak only for myself
      • Martin Votruba
        Message 3 of 26 , Dec 2, 2005
          > a particular place near Levoca to collect some drinking
          > water from a spot where water was coming down from the mountain

          It was probably Siva brada (Gray Beard), Tom, quite well known in the
          region. There are several springs with naturally carbonated mineral
          water there, and a small pool with a geyser (up to about 10 ft) near
          the top of the small hill:

          http://departments.fsv.cvut.cz/k135/ge10/galerie/jezirko.jpg

          The geyser started rather recently and inadvertently after geologists
          did some drilling there, but the mineral springs have been popular
          with the locals for centuries. At the top is a baroque chapel
          (Sva"ty' kri'z~, "Holy Cross") from 1675:

          http://www.zsf.sk/index.php?act=soom&idf=157

          Passing drivers often stop at a spring lower down to fill bottles and
          bring them home. Slovakia has over 1,000 registered mineral and
          thermal springs. People get water from them in many places,
          especially if they're along a road, so I'd guess your stop there need
          not have been connected with the loks~e.

          Martin

          votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
        • krejc@aol.com
          Message 4 of 26 , Dec 3, 2005
            In a message dated 12/2/05 8:45:20 PM Eastern Standard Time,
            votrubam@... writes:

            > http://www.zsf.sk/index.php?act=soom&idf=157

            Martin,
            the picture of the Chapel reminded me of the Crucifixion with the storm
            clouds covering the hill and the cross standing alone.
            Noreen

          • Tom Flynn
            Message 5 of 26 , Dec 5, 2005
              On Sat, 3 Dec 2005, Martin Votruba wrote:

              > > a particular place near Levoca to collect some drinking
              > > water from a spot where water was coming down from the mountain
              >
              > It was probably Siva brada (Gray Beard), Tom, quite well known in the
              > region. There are several springs with naturally carbonated mineral
              > water there, and a small pool with a geyser (up to about 10 ft) near
              > the top of the small hill:
              >
              > http://departments.fsv.cvut.cz/k135/ge10/galerie/jezirko.jpg
              >
              > The geyser started rather recently and inadvertently after geologists
              > did some drilling there, but the mineral springs have been popular
              > with the locals for centuries. At the top is a baroque chapel
              > (Sva"ty' kri'z~, "Holy Cross") from 1675:
              >
              > http://www.zsf.sk/index.php?act=soom&idf=157
              >
              > Passing drivers often stop at a spring lower down to fill bottles and
              > bring them home. Slovakia has over 1,000 registered mineral and
              > thermal springs. People get water from them in many places,
              > especially if they're along a road, so I'd guess your stop there need
              > not have been connected with the loks~e.
              >

              > Martin
              >
              > votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu

              Thank You, Martin,

              It might have been at the spring lower down (closer to the road) that we
              stopped...I remember being on that same road on a previous trip, but never
              noticed the springs. Maybe it didn't have anything to do with the loks~e,
              or maybe it was just a local (or even family) thing. I didn't recognize
              the geyser nor the chapel, but we didn't stay long, just enough to fill
              the bottles.

              My grandfather continued the "habit" of filling up water bottles after he
              moved to the US...but I'm not sure where he would have filled them up in
              Slovakia, since Levoca would have been very far (by horse or other
              conveyance, since I'm sure he didn't have access to car or maybe even bus
              in early 20th century before he came to the US). The town he came from
              was named for the "hot" springs, though it seems that they were mostly
              used for washing/laundry rather than drinking...but as you mention, there
              are many places people found mineral water in Slovakia, perhaps he went to
              the next town over (Slanec), a more hilly area where I'd guess they'd be
              likely to find spring water.

              ---------
              Tom Flynn
              I speak only for myself
              Message 6 of 26 , Dec 5, 2005
                My family lives near Slanec (my father's family came from Slanske Nove Mesto), in a little village that has a spring (comes out of a pipe in a little cement wall). My cousin's wife said that they use their "plumbed" water for cooking, washing, etc., but that she bikes down to the spring with a few plastic jugs to get the spring water for drinking.

                >>> trflynn@... 12/05/05 9:22 AM >>>

                Message 7 of 26 , Dec 5, 2005
                  > It might have been at the spring lower down (closer to the
                  > road) that we stopped...I remember being on that same road
                  > on a previous trip

                  Yes, Tom, the mineral spring is quite well known today because it's on
                  the main route between Bratislava and Presov/Kosice, under 10 miles
                  east of Levoca near Spis Castle. And indeed, you cannot see the
                  chapel and new-fangled geyser from the spring where passers-by get the
                  water, you'd have to climb about 160 ft. One of Slovakia's most
                  popular mineral waters comes from the village of Baldovce only 2 miles
                  away. They started bottling and selling it about 200 years ago.

                  The warm springs at your ancestral Teplica are mineralized, too, but
                  people have traditionally not been too enthusiastic about warm springs
                  when they wanted drinking water. The name of the nearby _Slanec_ that
                  you mention is related to "salt/salty" and indicated springs and
                  places where people would make salt by boiling mineralized water (a
                  slanec could also be the person who did it). Thee were plans for
                  Kosice to tap the geothermal water in the region for central heating,
                  but I don't know how far the project has progressed, if at all.

                  Martin

                  votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
                • Tom Flynn
                  Message 8 of 26 , Dec 5, 2005
                    On Mon, 5 Dec 2005, Helen Fedor wrote:

                    > My family lives near Slanec (my father's family came from Slanske Nove Mesto), in a little village that has a spring (comes out of a pipe in a little cement wall). My cousin's wife said that they use their "plumbed" water for cooking, washing, etc., but that she bikes down to the spring with a few plastic jugs to get the spring water for drinking.

                    Thank you, Helen, that's probably where he went for water (somehow I
                    thought there'd be a spring in Slanec, without having gone there, though we
                    passed it on the road to Zemplinska Teplica from Kosice)
                    I have a "cousin" (my Grandfather's brother's Great Grandson) whose Mother
                    is from Slanec, unfortunately, I don't know her maiden name. The "cousin"
                    stayed with us for 4 months with his girlfriend (now wife) during the
                    summer between his 4th and 5th years at University, before he graduated, 2
                    years ago, where they worked for a local resturant. Not sure, but maybe
                    other people from Slanec (I know of some from Secovce) that we're somehow
                    related to.

                    ---------
                    Tom Flynn
                    I speak only for myself
                  • amiak27
                    Message 9 of 26 , Dec 5, 2005
                      Sorry Folks,

                      I did not realize I was holding out on you. For natural water
                      sprinngs in Slovakia go to
                      http://www.sazp.sk/slovak/struktura/ceev/DPZ/pramene/pramene.html#map
                      a and click on the region that interests you. Explore to find the
                      spring you want. When the page comes up you can chose a miltary or
                      a civilian detailed topo map showing the spring. This should answer
                      99% of your questions of where people went for natural spring water!

                      for the certified BEST water in Slovakia, go to Sulinky Pramen, by
                      the village of Sulin on the Poprad river.
                      http://www.sazp.sk/slovak/struktura/ceev/DPZ/pramene/sl/pv-70a.html

                      If you need a translation of the minerals and other goodies Mother
                      Nature puts in the water for you, go to
                      http://www.sazp.sk/slovak/struktura/ceev/DPZ/pramene/slovnika.html

                      Nazdravie!

                      Ron

                      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Tom Flynn <trflynn@c...> wrote:

                      > On Sat, 3 Dec 2005, Martin Votruba wrote:
                      >
                      > > > a particular place near Levoca to collect some drinking
                      > > > water from a spot where water was coming down from the mountain
                      > > It was probably Siva brada (Gray Beard), Tom, quite well known
                      in the region. There are several springs with naturally carbonated
                      mineral water there, and a small pool with a geyser (up to about 10
                      ft) near the top of the small hill:

                      > > http://departments.fsv.cvut.cz/k135/ge10/galerie/jezirko.jpg
                      > >
                      > > The geyser started rather recently and inadvertently after
                      geologists
                      > > did some drilling there, but the mineral springs have been
                      popular
                      > > with the locals for centuries. At the top is a baroque chapel
                      > > (Sva"ty' kri'z~, "Holy Cross") from 1675:
                      > >
                      > > http://www.zsf.sk/index.php?act=soom&idf=157
                      > >
                      > > Passing drivers often stop at a spring lower down to fill
                      bottles and
                      > > bring them home. Slovakia has over 1,000 registered mineral and
                      > > thermal springs. People get water from them in many places,
                      > > especially if they're along a road, so I'd guess your stop there
                      need
                      > > not have been connected with the loks~e.
                      > >

                      > > Martin
                      > >
                      > > votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
                      > >
                      > Thank You, Martin,
                      >
                      > It might have been at the spring lower down (closer to the road)
                      that we
                      > stopped...I remember being on that same road on a previous trip,
                      but never
                      > noticed the springs. Maybe it didn't have anything to do with the
                      loks~e,
                      > or maybe it was just a local (or even family) thing. I didn't
                      recognize
                      > the geyser nor the chapel, but we didn't stay long, just enough to
                      fill
                      > the bottles.
                      >
                      > My grandfather continued the "habit" of filling up water bottles
                      after he
                      > moved to the US...but I'm not sure where he would have filled them
                      up in
                      > Slovakia, since Levoca would have been very far (by horse or other
                      > conveyance, since I'm sure he didn't have access to car or maybe
                      even bus
                      > in early 20th century before he came to the US). The town he came
                      from
                      > was named for the "hot" springs, though it seems that they were
                      mostly
                      > used for washing/laundry rather than drinking...but as you
                      mention, there
                      > are many places people found mineral water in Slovakia, perhaps he
                      went to
                      > the next town over (Slanec), a more hilly area where I'd guess
                      they'd be
                      > likely to find spring water.
                      >
                      > ---------
                      > Tom Flynn
                      > I speak only for myself

                    • Martin Votruba
                      Message 10 of 26 , Dec 6, 2005
                        http://www.sazp.sk/slovak/struktura/ceev/DPZ/pramene/pramene.html#map

                        That's a useful site, Ron (clever that you got the URL although they
                        use frames). The springs are registered under the names of the
                        villages on whose territory they are, which is not necessarily the
                        same as the name under which they are known. The springs at Siva
                        brada are in the "Levoca" section, under "Baldovce SNV - 4" through
                        "Baldovce SNV - 9." The one most people stop by is SNV-4 called Sv.
                        Ondrej (St. Andrew).

                        Unlike in the US, all of Slovakia's territory is divided among
                        villages, boroughs, and towns (which is the case in the rest of
                        Central Europe, too). The counties have no territory under their
                        control. Land features that belong to a village can be quite far from
                        it if its territory is large. Some villages own mountains, etc.

                        Martin

                        votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
                        Message 11 of 26 , Dec 6, 2005
                          Sorry, I was less than fully clear. While my father comes from from Slanske Nove Mesto, my mother's family comes from about 3 miles away, Male Ozorovce, which is where the spring is. MO is not far from Sec~ovce: if you take the road from Kos~ice to Sec~ovce, just as you get into Sec~ovce, you take a right and go down that road. The first village is Zbehn~ov (my mother's father came from there), then there's a tiny Roma settlement (doesn't have a name), then there's MO. A cousin on my mother's side married a fellow from Sec~ovce with the last name of Tirpak. Ring any bells?

                          >>> trflynn@... 12/05/05 7:01 PM >>>

                          Message 12 of 26 , Dec 8, 2005
                            On Mon, 5 Dec 2005, Martin Votruba wrote:

                            > > It might have been at the spring lower down (closer to the
                            > > road) that we stopped...I remember being on that same road
                            > > on a previous trip
                            >
                            > Yes, Tom, the mineral spring is quite well known today because it's on
                            > the main route between Bratislava and Presov/Kosice, under 10 miles
                            > east of Levoca near Spis Castle. And indeed, you cannot see the
                            > chapel and new-fangled geyser from the spring where passers-by get the
                            > water, you'd have to climb about 160 ft. One of Slovakia's most
                            > popular mineral waters comes from the village of Baldovce only 2 miles
                            > away. They started bottling and selling it about 200 years ago.
                            >
                            > The warm springs at your ancestral Teplica are mineralized, too, but
                            > people have traditionally not been too enthusiastic about warm springs
                            > when they wanted drinking water. The name of the nearby _Slanec_ that
                            > you mention is related to "salt/salty" and indicated springs and
                            > places where people would make salt by boiling mineralized water (a
                            > slanec could also be the person who did it). Thee were plans for
                            > Kosice to tap the geothermal water in the region for central heating,
                            > but I don't know how far the project has progressed, if at all.
                            >

                            > Martin
                            >
                            > votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
                            Thank You, Martin,

                            Thinking about it now, I guess that if there was a source of mineral water
                            closer to their town, they would have gotten it there instead...I didn't
                            realize that the water at Slanec was salty (and also warm, as it is in
                            Zemplinska Teplica)
                            ---------
                            Tom Flynn
                            I speak only for myself
                          • Matchett
                            Message 13 of 26 , Dec 9, 2005
                              The best spring water I ever tasted was in Marianka where there's a
                              shrine and grotto to Mary. My cousin told me to bring a bottle as we
                              were going there for Mass. I was thinking holy water and had a little
                              bottle! He laughed and gave me a big bottle. When we got there I saw
                              people lined up with jugs and bicycle riders filling up their water
                              bottles.

                              I had been there with my mother in 1982 and not many people were there.
                              I was told there was just one old priest. I didn't see the spring at
                              the time. Now, the seminary there has several candidates for the
                              priesthood and there are many booths selling religious articles.
                              Helene's tour stopped there in 2000 and the church was being restored.

                              When I was there in '02 for Mass (and got the water), the church was
                              overflowing with people and rows of chairs set up outside. It is one
                              of my favorite places to visit and recall my mother's many stories of
                              processions there from her home in Zahorska Bystrica.

                              Julia Matchett

                              On Thursday, December 8, 2005, at 01:37 PM, Tom Flynn wrote:

                              > On Mon, 5 Dec 2005, Martin Votruba wrote:
                              >
                              >>> It might have been at the spring lower down (closer to the
                              >>> road) that we stopped...I remember being on that same road
                              >>> on a previous trip
                              >>
                              >> Yes, Tom, the mineral spring is quite well known today because it's on
                              >> the main route between Bratislava and Presov/Kosice, under 10 miles
                              >> east of Levoca near Spis Castle. And indeed, you cannot see the
                              >> chapel and new-fangled geyser from the spring where passers-by get the
                              >> water, you'd have to climb about 160 ft. One of Slovakia's most
                              >> popular mineral waters comes from the village of Baldovce only 2 miles
                              >> away. They started bottling and selling it about 200 years ago.
                              >>
                              >> The warm springs at your ancestral Teplica are mineralized, too, but
                              >> people have traditionally not been too enthusiastic about warm springs
                              >> when they wanted drinking water. The name of the nearby _Slanec_ that
                              >> you mention is related to "salt/salty" and indicated springs and
                              >> places where people would make salt by boiling mineralized water (a
                              >> slanec could also be the person who did it). Thee were plans for
                              >> Kosice to tap the geothermal water in the region for central heating,
                              >> but I don't know how far the project has progressed, if at all.
                              >>

                              >> Martin
                              >>
                              >> votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
                              > Thank You, Martin,
                              >
                              > Thinking about it now, I guess that if there was a source of mineral
                              > water
                              > closer to their town, they would have gotten it there instead...I
                              > didn't
                              > realize that the water at Slanec was salty (and also warm, as it is in
                              > Zemplinska Teplica)
                              > ---------
                              > Tom Flynn
                              > I speak only for myself
                              >

                              > Yahoo! Groups Links

                            • Fred G Kovalyak
                              Message 14 of 26 , Dec 9, 2005
                                Has anyone drank the Spring water at the top of the hill in
                                Sarriske Circ, near Stara Lubova ?

                                The waters are said to have "Healing Powers"
                                I heard a story from my Cousin that her Grandmother was one
                                of 4 Shepard children that on the hill in the 1800's, and was told the Virgin Mary
                                had recently stood where they were sitting
                                ...... that a "spring" will come forth.

                                The children were frightened and ran down the hill to tell the
                                Priest. He and others went up the hill and Discovered the NEW
                                Spring !!!
                                People frequently walk up hill for the waters ..... they built a Chapel there
                                and hold their Otpost at that site each year. Many Pilgrims visit the site each
                                year.

                                I was there in 2001, drank alot of water and gave it to my
                                80+ Relatives. Hope to Return during OTPOST.

                                F G Kovalyak
                                Columbia,Md.

                                http://mail.yahoo.com