Slovaks, neighbors on gays

  • Martin Votruba
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 30, 2005
      In connection with the recent Vatican documents on gays, Central
      European polling agencies have released the results of a joint poll in
      Slovakia, Poland, Czech R. and Hungary (I shortened the questions and
      added a 2005 US poll):

      __________________________CZ____SK_____H____PL______US

      Gays should marry.________42%___24%___25%___21%_____36%
      Should have partnerships._62%___39%___36%___42%_____53%
      Should adopt._____________18%___14%___26%____9%______?
      I know a gay person.______43%___30%____8%___14%______?

      Martin

      votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
    • raybravo2000
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 1, 2005
        I guess one interesting point with those figures is that in Hungary
        & Poland a larger percentage of people say they don't know anyone
        who is gay but beleive they should be able to marry. What's up with
        that?
        Colin

        --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Martin Votruba"
        <votrubam@y...> wrote:

        > In connection with the recent Vatican documents on gays, Central
        > European polling agencies have released the results of a joint
        poll in
        > Slovakia, Poland, Czech R. and Hungary (I shortened the questions
        and
        > added a 2005 US poll):
        >
        > __________________________CZ____SK_____H____PL______US
        >
        > Gays should marry.________42%___24%___25%___21%_____36%
        > Should have partnerships._62%___39%___36%___42%_____53%
        > Should adopt._____________18%___14%___26%____9%______?
        > I know a gay person.______43%___30%____8%___14%______?
        >

        > Martin
        >
        > votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu

      • Martin Votruba
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 1, 2005
          > in Hungary & Poland a larger percentage of people say
          > they don't know anyone who is gay but beleive they should
          > be able to marry. What's up with that?

          I have wondered about that, too, Colin.

          I think the discrepancy is particularly striking in Hungary. In
          Poland and Slovakia (by comparison to the Czech R. and probably the
          US), we can at least see it as part of the trend "the less you know,
          the more antagonistic the reaction," which is fairly well documented
          in attitudes to minorities in general.

          But I've no idea what the Hungarian results mean. On the one hand,
          you could assume that the attitudes must be quite antagonistic, since
          the gays are so closeted (given that only 8% people have a clue that
          someone around them is gay). But on the other hand, the general
          attitude there is quite similar to that in Slovakia where 30% people
          are aware that someone they know is gay.

          I wondered whether it may be a typo in the results, but I have only
          one source where the numeral (8%) is actually spelled out and listed
          as the lowest response to this question in the 4 countries. Or it
          might be due to a variation in how exactly the question was phrased in
          Hungarian. Or it may reflect the puzzling situation. Any ideas?

          Martin

          votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu