Re: Mail time

  • raybravo2000
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 9, 2005
      I would at least double that since it now takes 2 to 3 weeks or longer
      for mail to get from the eastern US to Slovakia.

      Colin

      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Andrea Vangor" <drav@o...> wrote:

      > Does anyone know how long it would normally take for a letter mailed
      in the eastern U.S. to get to Hungary in the early 20th century?
      Considering that the ocean voyage took ten days or so -- and overland
      railroad to central Europe another couple of days -- I would have
      thought two to three weeks. Were there regular mail delivery routes
      from the U.S. to Europe and back?

    • Andrea Vangor
      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 9, 2005
        Good point. But I have a case in mind of a man's wife back home in Slovakia in 1913 complaining that she had not received a letter from him in 8 weeks, so people must have expected reasonably fast mail service in those days.
        I would at least double that since it now takes 2 to 3 weeks or longer
        for mail to get from the eastern US to Slovakia.

        Colin

        --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Andrea Vangor" <drav@o...> wrote:

        > Does anyone know how long it would normally take for a letter mailed
        in the eastern U.S. to get to Hungary in the early 20th century?
        Considering that the ocean voyage took ten days or so -- and overland
        railroad to central Europe another couple of days -- I would have
        thought two to three weeks. Were there regular mail delivery routes
        from the U.S. to Europe and back?

        Slovakia phone Slovakia Slovakia flower

      • George Sirko
        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 9, 2005
          George Sirko <gsirko@... >Wrote :
          I sent a letter to Ubla, Slovakia from CA . The postman said it would take 7 to 10 days VIA AIR MAIL which cost 80 cents. I don't know how long it took but I finally received a reply by E-mail after a long time because the person I sent it to forwarded it to someone else. I was so glad to to receive a reply.

          raybravo2000 <colinv@...> wrote:
          I would at least double that since it now takes 2 to 3 weeks or longer
          for mail to get from the eastern US to Slovakia.

          Colin

          --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Andrea Vangor" <drav@o...> wrote:

          > Does anyone know how long it would normally take for a letter mailed
          in the eastern U.S. to get to Hungary in the early 20th century?
          Considering that the ocean voyage took ten days or so -- and overland
          railroad to central Europe another couple of days -- I would have
          thought two to three weeks. Were there regular mail delivery routes
          from the U.S. to Europe and back?

          Slovakia phone card Bratislava slovakia Hotel slovakia Slovakia phone Slovakia Slovakia flower

        • Gregory J Kopchak
          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 11, 2005
            If everything works well 7-14 days is the
            standard for USPS Mail to Eastern Slovakia in the 21st Century.

            Based on our experience, USPS meets the standard 99%
            of the time.

            There are issues involved with the former Slovak Transcarpathian
            Oblast.

            Greg Kopchak
            It's All Relative
            www.iarelative.com

            raybravo2000 <colinv@...> wrote:
            I would at least double that since it now takes 2 to 3 weeks or longer
            for mail to get from the eastern US to Slovakia.

            Colin

            --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Andrea Vangor" <drav@o...> wrote:

            > Does anyone know how long it would normally take for a letter mailed
            in the eastern U.S. to get to Hungary in the early 20th century?
            Considering that the ocean voyage took ten days or so -- and overland
            railroad to central Europe another couple of days -- I would have
            thought two to three weeks. Were there regular mail delivery routes
            from the U.S. to Europe and back?

            Slovakia phone card Bratislava slovakia Hotel slovakia Slovakia phone
            Slovakia Slovakia flower

          • David
            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 11, 2005
              Hello Kat: Welcome back...where have you been?
              Dave

              At 10:55 PM 11/11/2005, you wrote:
              >I second that...namely, that's been my & (my Slovak husband) Ondrej's
              >experience whenever we've mailed postcards, greeting cards, or small & light
              >letters to Slovakia. Packages, of course, take 3-5 weeks.
              >
              >Kat ("Katka") Turk
              >__________________
              > From : Gregory J Kopchak <greg@...>
              >To : Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject : : [Slovak-World] Mail time to Eastern Slovakia
              >Date : Fri, 11 Nov 2005 09:10:16 -0600
              >
              >If everything works well 7-14 days is the
              >standard for USPS Mail to Eastern Slovakia in the 21st Century.
              >
              >Based on our experience, USPS meets the standard 99%
              >of the time.
              >
              >There are issues involved with the former Slovak Transcarpathian
              >Oblast.
              >
              >Greg Kopchak
              >It's All Relative
              >www.iarelative.com
              >

              >Yahoo! Groups Links

            • sunkat

                    Message 9 of 19 , Nov 14, 2005
                      Hi Andrea,
                      I don't think you ever got an answer to your question.

                      Considering that 100 years ago, most people were writing to small
                      villages, it was taking between two and three months for a letter to
                      make it one-way. Things were nowhere near as efficient as they are
                      today. Your letter's journey had to travel through many different
                      countries as well. That said, surface mail still takes about 30 days.

                      Sadly, if someone died, you probably didn't hear about it for at least
                      a couple of months. People on this list can check this by looking at
                      some of their heirloom letters and postmarks.

                      Bill Tarkulich

                      Message 10 of 19 , Nov 14, 2005
                        Hi, Bill -- thanks for the reply. Surprisingly, I have evidence that a lettter written on May 18 in Pennsylvania in 1913 reached a town near Trnava by June 4. A man wrote his wife asking her to send money, and she wired it. What with railroads and steamships, the mail might have moved relatively quickly in those days, at least in the urban areas.

                        Message 11 of 19 , Nov 14, 2005
                          That seems pretty incredible. Perhaps it was sent through an
                          expedited service, or even telegram? Also, if she could afford to
                          wire the money, it suggests that they may have been of better means
                          than most immigrants of the time, thus affording a better service.
                          Just speculating.
                          Bill

                          --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Andrea Vangor" <drav@o...> wrote:

                          > Hi, Bill -- thanks for the reply. Surprisingly, I have evidence that
                          a lettter written on May 18 in Pennsylvania in 1913 reached a town
                          near Trnava by June 4. A man wrote his wife asking her to send money,
                          and she wired it. What with railroads and steamships, the mail might
                          have moved relatively quickly in those days, at least in the urban areas.

                          Service.

                          11/11/2005

                        • Martin Votruba
                          Message 12 of 19 , Nov 14, 2005
                            > a lettter written on May 18 in Pennsylvania in 1913 reached
                            > a town near Trnava by June 4. A man wrote his wife asking
                            > her to send money, and she wired it.

                            That's very useful information, Andrea, thank you. I recall reading
                            an immigrant's memoirs (but cannot remember whose) from which I
                            gathered that the time cannot have been much longer than today.
                            Without anything in it to put my finger on, it gave me the impression
                            that a letter would have taken no more than 3 weeks, perhaps less,
                            before WW I. I thought it quite unexpected, so I wasn't sure. Your
                            evidence documents that.

                            Martin

                            votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
                          • Andrea Vangor
                            Message 13 of 19 , Nov 14, 2005
                              I don't think we need to assume that mail moved any slower than people in the early 20th century. We know that the ocean trip in a steamer was about a week -- you can see this from the manifests. A ship leaving on May 28, 1912 docked on June 4. Trains travelled about as fast as today -- don't tell me the Long Island Railroad is doing better than something a hundred years ago!
                              That seems pretty incredible. Perhaps it was sent through an
                              expedited service, or even telegram? Also, if she could afford to
                              wire the money, it suggests that they may have been of better means
                              than most immigrants of the time, thus affording a better service.
                              Just speculating.
                              Bill

                              --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Andrea Vangor" <drav@o...> wrote:

                              > Hi, Bill -- thanks for the reply. Surprisingly, I have evidence that
                              a lettter written on May 18 in Pennsylvania in 1913 reached a town
                              near Trnava by June 4. A man wrote his wife asking her to send money,
                              and she wired it. What with railroads and steamships, the mail might
                              have moved relatively quickly in those days, at least in the urban areas.

                            • amiak27
                              Message 14 of 19 , Nov 14, 2005
                                Even in our modern times the postal service can take forever. Time
                                for letters and packages to Slovakia can vary quite a bit, and those
                                to Lithuania take forever, about three times what teh post office
                                predicts.

                                In the 1970's (now approaching historical times, I know) it
                                regularly took between three days and 7 days for a letter to go from
                                Alaska to Ohio or reverse.

                                Ron

                                --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Tarkulich" <smitko2@y...>
                                wrote:

                                > That seems pretty incredible. Perhaps it was sent through an
                                > expedited service, or even telegram? Also, if she could afford to
                                > wire the money, it suggests that they may have been of better means
                                > than most immigrants of the time, thus affording a better service.
                                > Just speculating.
                                > Bill
                                >

                                > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Andrea Vangor" <drav@o...>
                                wrote:

                                > > Hi, Bill -- thanks for the reply. Surprisingly, I have evidence
                                that
                                > a lettter written on May 18 in Pennsylvania in 1913 reached a town
                                > near Trnava by June 4. A man wrote his wife asking her to send
                                money,
                                > and she wired it. What with railroads and steamships, the mail
                                might
                                > have moved relatively quickly in those days, at least in the urban
                                areas.

                                Terms of
                                > Service.

                                -----------

                                > 11/11/2005

                              • sandman6294
                                Message 15 of 19 , Nov 14, 2005
                                  wrote:

                                  > Hi, Bill -- thanks for the reply. Surprisingly, I have evidence
                                  that a lettter written on May 18 in Pennsylvania in 1913 reached a
                                  town near Trnava by June 4. A man wrote his wife asking her to send
                                  money, and she wired it. What with railroads and steamships, the
                                  mail might have moved relatively quickly in those days, at least in
                                  the urban areas.

                                  It would be interesting to have significant statistics on this
                                  subject. Under ideal conditions that may be true. IF the mail
                                  traveled on high speed ocean liners and IF you lived in a town on the
                                  rail line you might get the letters in a few weeks. I wonder if all
                                  mail was sent First-Class to Europe. The cost for First-Class
                                  overseas mail was somewhat significant to many immigrants and I've
                                  heard of some sending mail back to Europe with friends who were
                                  returning to avoid the cost.

                                  Rural delivery in this country was just beginning in the early part
                                  of the 20th century. Prior to that you had to pick up your mail at
                                  the post office that might be several miles away and most likely on
                                  the rail line. I would assume something similar was in place in the
                                  small villages in Hungary. Unless you were expecting a letter, you
                                  might not make the trip for weeks because of the need to work the
                                  farm. If villagers were permitted to send someone to pick up the mail
                                  it might move faster.

                                  For a letter to move then as quickly as it does now would require a
                                  good deal of effort. Your letter might get there sooner if: 1)you
                                  lived near the coast, 2)the letter was shipped First-Class or some
                                  sort of priority by ocean liner, 3) the ship was berthed and unloaded
                                  quickly, 4) the letter was moved expeditiously through the port post
                                  office and placed on a train 5)it was handled rapidly by the port of
                                  entry post office in the destination country, 6) it was quickly
                                  delivered to the local post office, and 7) the recipient lived in or
                                  very close to the town with the post office.

                                  I would believe Bill's estimates were more realistic for the average
                                  mail delivery time.

                                  RU
                                • gergely
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Nov 15, 2005
                                    I"m not an expert on the mail subject, but when I was doing research into
                                    the ship my Gedo came over on, I found that he crossed on the SS Trave. It
                                    was referred to as one of a class of "fast mail ships".

                                    There were several of this class, named after European rivers, and others
                                    from other lines. From what I pulled out of the Mariner's Museum here in
                                    Newport News, these ships had regular routes, carried mail and a few
                                    (numbered in the low 100s) upper class cabins.

                                    The interesting thing that I found is that the major operating costs of
                                    these ship were borne by the 600 to 1000 or so steerage passengers that
                                    they also carried. I've read that steerage passage was about $30 and
                                    sometimes as low as $10. At even $10 a trip, that was $10,000 towards
                                    operating cost per trip.

                                    So, in a way our ancestors financed the mail system.

                                    Jack Gergely
                                    Newport News

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Nov 15, 2005
                                      There is always money to be made with the poor. I remember a special on the great ocean liners before WWI -- they actually made most of their money on the steerage passengers like our ancestors. About mail service in general, I don't think it was worse than today's for regular first class in most populated areas.

                                      In Britain, it was a lot better than ours today, with two daily postal deliveries. The famous author Anthony Trollope writes a lot about people mailing letters in his novels -- he worked for the postal service for decades and is credited with introducing the mailbox around mid-century.

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Nov 15, 2005
                                        --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Andrea Vangor" <drav@o...> wrote:

                                        > There is always money to be made with the poor.<

                                        It appears to becoming more evident over the last five years.

                                        >I remember a special on the great ocean liners before WWI -- they
                                        actually made most of their money on the steerage passengers like our
                                        ancestors. About mail service in general, I don't think it was worse
                                        than today's for regular first class in most populated areas.<

                                        The USPS lists four to six weeks for surface post so I could agree with
                                        you on that point. For a few cents more you can air mail a letter and
                                        get four to seven day delivery.

                                        RU