Re: Predvec^er sviatku Vs^etkých svätých

  • Martin Votruba
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2005
      > I think boo in the US is now primarily used by and for young
      > children with the adults using screams and the other sounds

      Thanks for the comment, RU. Histories of apparently insignificant
      words can say as intriguing things about people's lives and attitudes
      as those of "big" words.

      > Have they gotten to the "Trik alebo(hostit'?)" stage yet?

      No, children don't go trikandtritovat (yet, I suppose). At the moment
      it's mostly the displays in the stores, masks are on sale, people buy
      pumpkins, real or man-made with faces, and put them in the gardens, on
      the balkonies, or somewhere at home, and the upwardly mobile organize
      parties for the adults, sometimes costume parties.

      Martin

      votruba 'at" pitt "dot" edu