baseball, soccer/football, basketball -> America/Slovakia

  • sunkat
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 28, 2005
      Definitely true. In our early married days, my Slovak husband "didn't
      understand why Americans like baseball so much...I do not understand the
      point of this game." But he loves soccer & especially basketball...as he
      told me, Slovaks rarely get to see or play it in Slovakia. The first few
      years we were married, he actually felt compelled to watch college playoffs.

      Kat ("Katka") Turk
      ____________
      From : "Scott T. Mikusko" <guerilla@...> Save Address
      To : Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
      Subject : [Slovak-World] Re: American Football in Slovakia
      Date : Fri, 28 Oct 2005 09:28:26 -0700 (PDT)

      On Fri, 28 Oct 2005, raybravo2000 wrote:
      > One of my relatives has showed the people in Jakubany how to play
      > baseball and left bats & gloves, etc for them. I don't know how
      > much they play when he isn't there. Anyway here's another site for
      > the Slovenska Baseballova Federacia:
      > http://www.sbf.sk/
      >
      > I guess it's not so OT after all.

      Don't know about baseball, but I know Slovaks do enjoy basketball. I went
      to some league game in Handlova on my last visit. I felt like I was back
      at a high school game, only the age of the crowd was a lot more mixed.
      And the players were older. They even had a sort of marching band for
      between periods. The turnout was pretty decent.

      Soccer is the big game there as it is generally in Europe.