Chudak & other words

  • sunkat
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 25, 2005
      Although I could not have told you about these words myself, my dictionary
      does have them...see below.

      Kat ("Katka") Turk
      ____________
      potmehu'd
      1. (neuprimny clovek) double-dealer, cheat, sneak, (i s^ibal^) scallyway
      2. (s^ibal^) prankster

      potmehu'dsky - sneaky, shifty, guileful, malicious

      hudec - bandsman, orchestra player, musician, musicker

      chu'da - poor or pitiable thing, poor child
      chu'dak - poor fellow, devil, thing, sot, pauper, wretch, beggar
      chudera - poor or unfortunate woman or thing
      chuderka - poor woman, girl, or thing
      ___________
      From : Vladimir Bohinc <konekta@...> Save Address
      To : Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
      Subject : Re: [Slovak-World] Re: Chudak
      Date : Fri, 21 Oct 2005 14:47:36 +0200

      When I heard and saw this word to be spoken I had a feeling that the meaning
      was meant to be like :" You naughty, naughty boy."

      I do not have it in my Slovak vocabulary and I do not have it in the
      vocabulary of the Eastern Slovakia.
      Speaking about the latter, it appears to me, that at least one member of the
      group has this two volume book.
      What I find strikingly interesting to read there in the preface is the fact,
      that the authors are very crytical about Stur and the fact, that the rest of
      the slovak population is being forced to use the "official" slovak language,
      which was created based on the dialect from Middle Slovakia and is thus
      putting the Eastern slovak language into inferior position with tendency to
      negate it. These two books I understand as an example of the fight for
      national and cultural identity of Eastern Slovaks.
      Another similar "news";
      Apparently we are witnessing a slow birth of a "new" slavic nationality -
      Rusyns or Ruthenians..
      There language for the users in Slovakia has been codified in 1995!
      ( Paul Robert Magocsi, Toronto University)
      So, things are far away from settled.
      Vladimir Bohinc