More about English spoken by non-natives

  • andreialexiev
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 23, 2005
      Some years back about 1972,I was a guest at the home of a John
      Cajkovsky(no known relation to the famous composer who is known by the
      French spelling "Tchaikovsky").Like my Dad, he had come from Russia to
      the US BEFORE the Revolution of 1917, he was from Belarus',my father
      was from Ukraine.Both men had married and had children late in life
      and both spoke pretty decent, but accented English.I was intersted in
      Mr. Cajkovsky's daughter,Maria(nothing came of that,I ended up
      marrying a nice "Hunky" girl instead.)Anyways,Mr. Cajkovsky mentioned
      something about being in some New England towm where, "there was a
      bunch of niggers". "Daddy," said his daughter, "Don't say 'nigger',
      say "negro". In his accented English,Cajkosky replied,"Negro is one of
      them.Niggers is whole bunch." I still laugh about that to this day.Fr.
      Andrei