Re: East Slovak and Rusyn

  • Martin Votruba
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 23, 2005
      > Kokav and Klenovec are wheremy great grandparents came from.
      > On subject of language is I have old record albums from that
      > area in Rushian and Slovak, am wondering if that is somilar to
      > language you were mentioning?

      Kokava and Klenovec are in south-central Slovakia, Tim. But
      I don't know of a Rusyn connection to those villages. No one
      registers Rusyn ethnicity in those villages now (which is not
      to say that some may not have in the past). The spelling,
      if your album cover is in Slovak, may be important --
      _Rus/rusky_ (Russian) is not the same as _Rusin/rusinsky_ in Slovak.

      BTW, the legendary Slovak highwayman Juraj Janosik was captured
      in Klenovec in 1713 when he was hiding during the winter there.

      Martin

      votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu